Hosting?
    Hi All,

Ok, I'm completely new to this and was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to share their opinions. What hosting sites/plans do you use when first starting off? I'm thinking of just connecting my sites to my own server, but I was wondering if it was better just to pay for one of the cheap hosting plans from a site like godaddy, etc... I know it's not much money and they offer some fairly good plans, but I just like the idea of having the control in house.

How did most people start off? I currently run a tomcat server but no absolutely nothing about network security which would be one of my concerns.

Thanks!
    Last edited by jxm262; July 6th, 2011 at 08:53 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    Godaddy for domains but not for hosting.

I have this - Web Hosting - Shared cPanel Web Hosting

Baby plan, it's fine, it works. Never had any issues to this point.

Last time there was a poll on it - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum - View Poll Results

Hey Thanks. Looks like HostGator won that poll by a landslide.

$6/month for unlimited domains is pretty cheap.

Rule #1 ... if the site isn't up you ain't making $$$

I'd suggest a cloud offering so you have flexibility for growth and strength of network.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Haha, thanks for the tip!

I don't even have the webpages created yet let alone tried to contact any affiliate programs. I'm just trying to gather information at this point and just started designing the site. Working with my gf to try and start up at least 1 site. She already writes lots of articles for other sites and i do coding (mostly cell phone apps though). I just decided it would be better if we combined our skills and tried to make our own way.

maybe hosting on a cloud network would be good, but the plans always seemed more pricey. I don't really see a major point in it unless you have enormous traffic which i don't yet.

Would there be any advantage to starting on a cloud network? If so, any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by jxm262 View Post
    I don't really see a major point in it unless you have enormous traffic which i don't yet.
    I admit that I'm a bit overboard in preparing for success, but I've seen the damages of poor hosting, lived through some bad hosting nightmares.

Quote Originally Posted by jxm262 View Post
    Would there be any advantage to starting on a cloud network?
    Scalability for your success, no need to move servers later, no dedicated box BS, and more importantly no 4,000 other customers on the same box with "unlimited" domains and hosting - Remember good 'ol Rule #1

Trusty has said HG baby plan, works, I trust Trusty so it's up to you on how you want to start and your projected growth curve.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

If I were you, I'd make the decision based on my level of comfort with the technical side of things. Cloud based hosting offers easy scalability with few headaches - send more money, your sites get more resources.

Sort of like changing the oil in your car. You can get it done conveniently somewhere for $20, you don't need a jack, and you don't get greasy. But if you are a car guy, its no big deal so you pocket the cash and take care of it yourself.

Personally, I'd take care of it myself, go the HG route, then worry about migrating sites/DBs to a stronger hosting plan down the road when conditions demand it or income supports it, whichever comes first.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

thanks for all the feedback

My sites are at HG and I never have any problem with them.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

For the record, HG is a fantastic company, in no way do I want any of post(s) to infer or convey any other sentiment. No one asked me to do this, I just wanted to clarify my point out of fairness to HG.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread