I know a few people here on ABW who purchased a Powerbook G4 so I decided to jump on the bandwagon. I'm just curious what you think of it so far? I think it's a beautiful machine and the interface looks great, but it seems a little sluggish to me. Even as I type this post I feel the letters come out slower than they should. I purchased the 17" G4 1.5ghz with 1gb of ram and while I expected it to scream, it hardly does. I'm almost tempted to sell it and buy myself a Dell. I'm using firefox and it runs quite slowly, especially when scrolling down a long page. Let me know what you think.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I am not a Mac user, but if those symptoms were evident on a PC, I would suggest updating or reinstalling your video card drivers. I have had that same problem several times in the years that I have been a PC user and every time but one it was the video card drivers. The other time it was because I had a printer installed that was not connected to my computer and for some reason it caused the computer to crawl, especially when scrolling long pages.

And one final thought...I have heard of spyware causing these symptoms as well.

I know a guy who swears by apple and has a powerbook g4
    He tells me it feels like he has spyware sometimes, he also told me that his has a defect on it and Apple basically told him to deal with it lol.
    I my self want a powerbook but I want to see what comes out after the 17th

I have a 15" Powerbook G4 and I think I've seen what you're describing. Sometimes Firefox is very slow and even hangs/crashes. I recently removed all of the FF extensions and while it could be my imagination, I think it helped. I'll start adding them back one at a time as I miss them. So far I don't really miss any of them.

Other very bloated applications can be slow like Dreamweaver, MS Office applications, especially Entourage (Outlook on the Mac), and Photoshop.

I tend to be tolerant though as I always have a bazillion apps running.

Right now I have Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Entourage, Excel, Firefox, StickyBrain, Fire (IM client) and Mysql/Apache running in the background and it's all very quick.

I hadn't thought about it much since I cleaned out the FF extensions, but I'm starting to think there may be something to that.

I've had this over a year now and love it as a web development platform.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    I have an old 400MHz Powerbook I use when I'm travelling and it's certainly not as sluggiosh as what you're seeing.

So, yes, it sounds like an application gumming up the works. A 1.5 GHz G4 with 1Gb RAM should certainly fly along.

If you go into your Applications->Utilities folder, you will find an application called "Activity monitor".

Fire that up and it will show you if an application is hogging the processor or using up all the memory.

Just to update you guys I found a solution that made my web browsing much faster. It's called Camino and it's a version of Firefox that's made especially for OSX. The lag is nearly gone and I feel such a quicker browsing experience. I heard that the normal Firefox is a little sluggish on OSX so that's why Camino was built. Definitely recommend it. Give it a shot!!

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread