ABW Ambassador
    .....Jeff Pullen, the president of Commission Junction, a company that helps link affiliates with Web sites, said that he was not inclined to cut off companies that divert commissions if the customer has agreed to the diversion. "The tactics that they use, maybe they're on the edge," he said. "Maybe, personally, I don't find them particularly attractive. But if they aren't illegal, it's hard for me to point to my public service agreement and say, `I have a reason to kick you off my network.' "........

Mr Pullen is what we call a "Biedermann" helping incendiaries to burn his own roof.

carneol

ABW Ambassador
    This is what I've said all along. CJ gets' their 30% regardless, so why mess things up with questions of principle?

Does this person really need a court to tell him right from wrong? Is his character so lacking that he can't see immoral behavior? Does he perhaps have political aspirations?

Revelations 3:16
    So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

http://SearchToSale.com - Turns your search box into money.

Isn't it nice that Jeff makes sure his company treats all of its publishers equally?

Quote from Jeff Pullen:
    quote:
    But if they aren't illegal, it's hard for me to point to my public service agreement and say, `I have a reason to kick you off my network.'

Yet he has no problem allowing certain publishers to violate the TOS by interfering with other publisher's clicks.

If the end user really wanted to buy something through one of their software downloads, they'd be shopping on those sites, not the sites of other publishers.

When they click on a link to buy something, they mean to do business with THAT site. Changing that decision for them is wrong.

I'm afraid it is going to take a legal battle in the courts to shut these monsters down. They are taking advantage of an ill-informed public that largely doesn't understand everything they're buying into. And companies like CJ are enabling them to do so.

Shame, shame CJ!

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

Our immediate option is to absolutey refuse to affiliate with merchants that are in bed with the parasites. We must rely on forums such as this to keep us informed of who these merchants are and as a group STOP AFFILLIATING with them. It does not matter how well they convert as this short term gain is a slow death.

I could type much better if I had knuckles

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Our immediate option is to absolutey refuse to affiliate with merchants that are in bed with the parasites.
    I see it as time to cut off the HEAD - CJ itself has to go~!

Brian
    aka Cyclone @ CyclonesFunnel.com

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Which particular article is this referring to? Is it listed online? What was the date - current or from last year?

"No day is so bad, it can't be fixed with a nap." - Carrie Snow

ABW Ambassador
    I found this article here:

http://www.onlisareinsradar.com/archives/000563.php

carneol

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Ah, that is from the first article. The newest article, out today, is posted here http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...9&m=9486011702

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

15 years and counting
    "Jeff Pullen" Just a crook helping other crooks.
    That is disgusting. What a shame!

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Hmmmm,

Me thinks maybe it is time to pull my 40+ CJ merchants off my site and go shopping for new ones.

~Michelle

"All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."

"Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Once again CJ proves itself. Thats all that needs to be said.

John Solamito
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.datecam.com
    www.datedollars.com - Affiliate program for Datecam
    johns@datecam.com
    C 206-920-5646

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    THIS speaks for itself, and shows that CJ indeed "proves itself"--where it really matters.

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

I hope nobody was surprised with Jeff Pullen's statement, or expected any other result. And if you think there is a band of "Brothers" ready to fight the good fight on everyones behalf DREAM ON!

Keeping a selected few on a "don't touch me and I'll be happy" list doesn't sound like any victory to me, but again I'm not surprised.

"The new d├ętente among these bitter rivals comes, of course, with a residue of mistrust. Mr. De Poel said he had agreed to provide a list of affiliate Web addresses to Ebates on condition that they be encrypted in such a way that Ebates could avoid encroaching on the affiliates' territory without actually knowing their identities."

Haiko stated "I think about 80,000 affiliates will be willing to go onto this list," he said. "But I could easily get 500,000 Web addresses in about 10 days, depending on how actively I went out there and did this."

Unfortunately, Mr. Isolani said "We're obviously not going to list every site on the Internet; if it's a real person with a real issue with the software, we'll take a look at it," he said. "We could probably work with a thousand or two."

So it would seem that not everyone is going to be invited to the "party".

Forget any ideas of help. The only person who can help you is YOU! Try and replace all your network links as quickly as possible with direct ones's or sell the product yourself and be sure of getting the money (and a larger profit).

Don't waste your time with anger or hope, channel your thoughts into a real alternative and look forward to a great 2003!

I hope this message gets shown, but I can imagine you know what I'll say if it doesn't!

15 years and counting
    Yes, Leader, CJ WAS a great network with a fabulous potential for growth. I agree 100% with the poll. But, they are not the future anymore.
    Jeff Pullen's statement shows he doesn't have any ethic. He has been unable to protect our interests, he did nothing for us. We can't trust him and CJ is going down the hill. I've not seen any improvement for a long time. They are lost.

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Leader:
    http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...1&m=8746064402 speaks for itself, and shows that CJ indeed "proves itself"--where it _really_ matters.

So, the all mighty dollar is your only measuring stick Leader?

What about justice? fair play? honesty? integrity? morals? setting a good example?

Or how about just the network that enforces it's own TOS fairly across the board? Isn't that part of the equation?

How ironic... it seems CJ uses that same measuring stick you do Leader. Very sad. What a disappointment.

quote:
    By Ian B.

Don't waste your time with anger or hope, channel your thoughts into a real alternative and look forward to a great 2003!

I agree Ian. Very well said. CJ will be happy to be rid of us "whiners" anyway.

http://SearchToSale.com - Turns your search box into money.

Leader, 21 votes (at the time of my viewing the thread you referenced) doesn't exactly prove anything. I viewed it earlier and there were only 18 votes at that time, so it's a very small sampling.

I think CJ used to be really wonderful, but its leadership is apparently prepared to take it off in a new direction. Which way are they headed? Do you really believe they care about you or me?

Let's see where they're going:

1. They've maintained their association with those who take from others, and regardless of whether or not it's illegal, it is undoubtedly unethical;

2. They've made changes to their interface that make it more difficult for publishers to do their job effectively, so it becomes a guessing game for us which products are attractive to our visitors;

3. They have rewarded their top publishers with honors and front page exposure, all the while turning their back on the unethical behavior these publishers practice;

4. They participated in and established a Code of Conduct that could have been created by a class of 3rd grade students, then, when confronted by a documented COC issue, they drag their feet and don't enforce it;

And that's just the beginning! Actions speak louder than words, and I'm not seeing much being done at CJ to enable me to be more effective, productive, or profitable.

Ultimately, I am the only one responsible for my success or lack of it. But given access to the proper tools, I would certainly find it easier to improve the bottom line without having to fight with those who should be working with me to make it happen.

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

ABW Ambassador
    Hello all, I'm not for any parasites or commission stealers, but I feel that Jeff is not totally wrong in the Democracy point, I do not know how it is not hypocrisy from afiliates to deny the right for a user to choose to use a rebate also if the user had visited the site in the past through an afiliate link but later joined a program like ebates.

In some cases the affiliate create all sale intention and a rebate or coupon from the "buying software" just is not changing the sale decision, other cases it's a shared work when a user has choosen to install the software to get rebates (not invasive softwares) and the affiliate made the referal, in that cases I think the commission could be shared, that could be fair.

A lot of factors and different situations could be analyzed, but I think that not all buying softwares are the same thing and not all is black or white, affiliates (like me) do not deserve 100% credit in 100% of sales catched by programs like ebates.

PD: If you think I'm for ebates, read my next post "The truth about ebates"

Fer

ABW Ambassador
    The way I'm beginning to see it is this ...

We can't stop the percentage of users that download coupon/rebate applications to save money, and/or may not know what they are downloading ,

However...
    What we CAN do is concentrate our efforts on the remaining percentage of users that are not infected. Isn't this number still in the millions and growing every day ? That's more than enough for me to work on , and can keep me busy for the rest of my young life .

To keep me from getting disgusted with the whole affiliate marketing concept, I try to imagine a situation owning a store for comparison ...

A customer comes into my store , looks around, has an item in her hand . Another shopper tells the first shopper that she is pretty sure that the item she is holding is " 75% off" at the "Other" store down the road , and she better hurry , because they only had a few left.

To boot, the old wench even gives her a spare coupon to really kill the sale ! She means no harm, but the "other" store is her only son's brand new store location .

Whenu, ebates, and the rest ... they are the old wench with the coupon and the big fat hole !

The coupon lady visits the store every single day, in and out constantly , but I can't get rid of her because she lives upstairs and she's my landlords mother !

I try pleading with her son, my landlord, "Please , keep your mother out of my store , all she does is kill my sales ". All I get in reply is "Sorry, she comes with the building , and you have 99 more years to our lease ".

She will leave you alone one day , I promise , when she is dead .

15 years and counting
    Andy - That's exactly what I'm thinking.
    I'm really worried about CJ. It takes years to have a web site going, to have a stable ranking and be really successful. You have to promote the right merchants from the right network from the beginning.
    Now, I have no visibility with CJ. I'm not sure they will be on my side next year.
    What kind of leadership do we have with Jeff Pullen?
    What kind of actions have we seen lately at CJ?
    If I look at the trend of their decisions I know I'm taking a bad risk with them.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread