New - Site Marketing Manager - Penny Auctions
    Hey guys,

I am the marketing manager for a good sized Penny Auctions website. I've been asked not to publicly list the details of the site but I wondered if anyone could give me some good advice on where to get started looking for some good quality affiliates to break in a new program with and make some custom deals with.

Any helpful advice is appreciated.

I take it that there's not much for Penny Auction affiliates on this particular site.

CS,

All your post said was I'm recruiting for a penny auction site, but I can't say much more.

What kind of reply were you looking for exactly? You've gotta give us something to wet our beaks on.

BTW, Welcome to ABW!
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; July 8th, 2011 at 10:26 AM. Reason: added welcome & etc
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

4. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr. View Post
    CS,

All your post said was I'm recruiting for a penny auction site, but I can't say much more.

What kind of reply were you looking for exactly? You've gotta give us something to wet our beaks on.

BTW, Welcome to ABW!
    Ah,

Well, basically I am looking for suggestions on how to speak to a few guys that perhaps do this sort of thing that I can perhaps negotiate a custom deal with.

Any advice on that level I will highly appreciate.

Also, what software should I get for my affiliates to keep them the most happy? I don't care what it costs. What's the best and what will people be the most comfortable to use?

I want to find some serious affiliates, I've been granted a large budget to make this happen.

Any help with either of this items would be great. I have never used these forums before

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Last edited by CreativeShopping; July 8th, 2011 at 10:38 AM.

CS, my experience with "penny auction" sites is that most of them are scams, or at best a waste of time and effort (for both consumers and publishers). If others share my experience or perception, you'll need to choose between allocating substantial time & effort to change that perception OR focusing on folks who don't have that negative perception.

Are you looking for publishers who already know about and want to advertise or promote "penny auctions" specifically? Or are you looking for strategies to introduce your company and affiliate program to publishers, in a way that maximized the opportunity to create a mutually beneficial relationship? My hunch is that if your company is legitimate and offers a useful service, you'll profit more from reaching out to publishers who have NOT previously worked successfully with other penny-auction companies.

From your posts, it doesn't sound like you have any experience managing an affiliate program, nor spent much time learning about how affiliate programs work.

Spend several hours (probably 10-20 hours) reading through the "Becoming a Merchant" and "Merchant Best Practices" sections of the ABW forum, and seeking out other resources shared by members here, and try to put together a more specific list of questions based on the many years of experience shared by publishers and merchants here.
    Last edited by markwelch; July 8th, 2011 at 10:51 AM.

7. Thanks From:

Ok, now we've got something to talk about.

So Here's what I'm hearing:
    1. Software / Third Party software - who what where when and how?
    2. Program definition/terms and offer - what makes the program better than competitors?
    3. Recruiting - spreading the word
    4. Growing - parabolic recruiting
    4. Retention - keeping affs happy and loyal

So let's start at 1. You'll need to decide on the diff options there are multiple Third party companies who provide tracking and a few good in-house (hosted on your machine) stand alone software programs. There are a few companies (consultants) called OPMS who can help you with steps 1-4. Might I also suggest you peruse the following fora as well:

Starting an Affiliate Program & Merchant Q&A - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum
    Merchant Best Practices Forum - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum
    Affiliate Marketing Tracking Software and Networks - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; July 8th, 2011 at 10:48 AM. Reason: format
    Continued Success,

Haiko

9. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr. View Post
    Ok, now we've got something to talk about.

So Here's what I'm hearing:
    1. Software / Third Party software - who what where when and how?
    2. Program definition/terms and offer - what makes the program better than competitors?
    3. Recruiting - spreading the word
    4. Growing - parabolic recruiting
    4. Retention - keeping affs happy and loyal

So let's start at 1. You'll need to decide on the diff options there are multiple Third party companies who provide tracking and a few good in-house (hosted on your machine) stand alone software programs. There are a few companies (consultants) called OPMS who can help you with steps 1-4. Might I also suggest you peruse the following fora as well:

Starting an Affiliate Program & Merchant Q&A - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum
    Merchant Best Practices Forum - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum
    Affiliate Marketing Tracking Software and Networks - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum
    Very good info, thank you.

@MarkWelch - Perhaps there are some scams out there, is that not the case with most any niche? I don't really understand the logic here.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CreativeShopping View Post
    Hey guys,

I am the marketing manager for a good sized Penny Auctions website. I've been asked not to publicly list the details of the site but I wondered if anyone could give me some good advice on where to get started looking for some good quality affiliates to break in a new program with and make some custom deals with.

Any helpful advice is appreciated.
    CS,

Welcome to ABW and to our family ...

If you want to drop me a line, I would be more than willing to give you some direction, some tips and get you started down the correct path..

Have an awesome wekeend ...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Quote Originally Posted by CreativeShopping View Post
    Perhaps there are some scams out there, is that not the case with most any niche?
    Ahh EXACTLY, it's an opportunity for you to EXCEL by being the exception, not fall into the "standard".
    Continued Success,

Haiko

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread