ISPs to Police Content?
    Five huge brand-name ISPs are banding together in an effort to slow down and possibly even cut off internet access to people accused of copyright infringement.

After agreeing on a deal almost three years in the making, AT&T, Cablevision Systems, Comcast, Time Warner, and Verizon announced yesterday morning that they would be monitoring their customers' internet traffic for instances of copyright violation. The effort is called the PROTECT IP Act.

It will operate on a six-strike system. After that, they initiate the wonderfully Orwellian-sounding "mitigation measures," which could include bringing a subscriber's internet speeds to a crawl and redirecting a subscriber’s service to a "educational" page about infringement. Source
    Link to Protect IP Act

Link to It's an unconstitutional Act

I've always thought we needed to address content theft of video, songs, and text. What do you all think of this move? I see it's primarily addressing video and music because that's where the big cos are getting whacked, but aff marketers get infringed on every single day.
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; July 8th, 2011 at 11:05 AM.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Hey,

I heard about this in a sort of a different way ...

There was a gamer video about how in its current wording it will effect alot more people who do things like video game videos .. etc

Here is that link on youtube
    YouTube - ‪ALERT! Bill S.978 Will SHUT DOWN Gaming Videos and Streams EVERYWHERE‬‏

Its a interesting PoV ...
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

The bill only talks about actions against websites/website operators enabling IP infringement. It says nothing about home users.

Makes me wonder if the author of the source article you quoted knows something I don't, or if its a journalist getting the facts mixed up. The Ars article seems to be talking only in regards to websites (DNS) also.

I like the letter the professors signed.

As it often is though, its a problem I would like to see addressed, however I don't trust the government to legislate it well enough to protect us as intended. In its current form, certainly sounds like it could do greater harm than good.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    To prevent online threats to economic creativity and theft of intellectual property, and for other purposes.
    Guess then the ISPs will be responsible for shutting down sites such as Wikileaks. Afterall, it was the US Government's "Intellectual Property"...

Earlier this year we relaunched one of our brand names. We found hundreds of URLs and dozens of websites using our IP. They were "pretending" to be us, they were misrepresenting us, they were leading others to believe that clicking on links would go to our website and instead to a competing website, PPC infractions, and on and on and on. Nearly all of these websites were out of Asia and former Soviet Union countries, a few were here in the US.

We sent out C&D emails and letters. Contacted their hosting companies and domain registrars AND the Google, Yahoo!, and Bing.

Their sites started going offline within days. Within a few weeks those that had not removed the infractions were either removed from the SERPs or banished to the underworld.

There are policies and procedures in place to handle things - self governing policies.

Makes me nervous anytime the government enacts something like this. Why? Because "stuff" happens. It won't be 100% accurate. It's fine to say that a few innocent websites will suffer for the betterment of the entire internet - unless you're that website who has their livelihood accidentally taken away.

So, I'm torn...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Exclamation
    Things got alot worse..

Protect IP ACT

Is now

H.R.3261 - Stop Online Piracy Act

This bill would establish a system for taking down websites that the Justice Department determines to be "dedicated to infringing activities." The DoJ or the copyright owner would be able to commence a legal action against any site they deem to have "only limited purpose or use other than infringement," and the DoJ would be allowed to demand that search engines, social networking sites and domain name services block access to the targeted site.
    H.R.3261: Stop Online Piracy Act - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

Worse is now Turning into NIGHTMARE !!!

ACTA (Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement)

Short vid on ACTA
    ACTA explained - Animation.flv - YouTube

Wiki
    Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    I had not heard of ACTA until last night - when my 11 year-old asked me if it was similar to SOPA.

Evidently, SOPA was a big concern amongst her online buddies and ACTA was brought up in their forum, as well.

My daughter changed her avatar with a big SOPA Censored banner across it - LOL ...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I don't buy all this BS about protecting copywrite material. I'm all for protecting people's intellectual property, but I see these laws being more about special interests drafting a bill and paying our politicians to pass them.
    Show me something that works and I'll support it.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread