Spotlight on Coupons: Insights for Affiliates & Advertisers
Kim Salvino, Amy Ely, and Jeannine Crooks of buy.at joined Affiliate & Merchant ABC’s hosts Deborah Carney and Vinny O’Hare on two podcasts discussing the hot topic of coupon sites in the affiliate industry.
Affiliate ABCs #50 – Build a Coupon Site the Right Way
This podcast includes best practices, tools, and ideas for coupon sites in the affiliate industry.
- Best practices – ensuring sites are adding value and providing complete, updated coupons, removed expired deals and coupons quickly
- Tools available – such as For Me To Coupon, buy.at’s OfferCentral, Shareasale Network Deals Database
- Ideas – consider niche targeting, work with merchants to create unique coupons
- Scripts, plugins – don’t use them “out of the box”. Customize, change, build your traffic. No script or plugin is going to bring you traffic, they are only the display mechanism
- Check Merchant Rules about coupon sites – some practices like “Click to Reveal Code” are prohibited, know and follow the rules.
Listen to the podcast for great tips about how to run a coupon site that will bring revenue and not headaches.
Merchant ABCs #16 – Utilizing Coupon Sites to Your Brand Advantage
This podcast reviews best practices when creating coupons and deals and how to effectively work with coupon affiliates.
Discussed in the podcast – when putting together a coupon code for affiliates, consider the following:
- The benefits of working with coupon affiliates
- Best practices when creating a coupon code
- Common concerns when working with coupon affiliates
- Opportunities that could give your company an competitive advantage
- Test to make sure the coupon works
- Ensure the promotion is a “real deal” vs. an everyday benefit (ex. free shipping on orders over $50)
- Give at least 3 days notice to affiliates before the promotion goes live
- Add time zones when defining coupon expiration dates and times
- Clearly define any restrictions
- Make sure the code is NOT case sensitive
Click here to listen to the full podcast.