There's a domain I'd like to register if it ever expires. The company who owns it is doing nothing with it and has no plans. They aqcuired it when they bought another company and are just sitting on it for now. I've offered a reasonable (in my mind) amount for it, but was turned down.

If they ever let it expire, I'd like to register it. Not being all that familiar with the world of domain speculation and so on, I'm curious about the effectiveness of services like SnapNames, GoDaddy's Backorder service and so on. Any input is welcome.

Also, I found another domain that expires in a couple weeks, but doesn't have the backdoor option on GoDaddy. Does this mean someone else is already trying for it?

Thanks!
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Eathan,

There are multiple companies trying to pick up domains and if you are serious about the name, you should try and get backorders from as many of them as you can. This would include Snapnames, Godaddy, Enom and Pool and a few others.

Snap and Godaddy are only good for a year, then need to be renewed, but if they fail to pick up the name when it drops, you can change to another domain (which probably doesn't mean much to you, since you are only interested in the one name).

If the name is not available to be backordered through GoDaddy, try some of the others....you could still get lucky.

Ken

I saw a list somewhere that showed which backorder service to use depending on where the site is registered. I don't remember where I saw it, though.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thank you both!

wyvern, that's a great idea! If you do get the domain through one, do the others refund your money or just let you try for another?

I'm always open to new, quality domains that we could develop, but so often they just sit around. Is that the sign of a potential domain junky...?

If anyone knows the page Michael mentioned, please post it. That'd be a big help.

Thanks again!
    Eathan Mertz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eathan:
    If anyone knows the page Michael mentioned, please post it. That'd be a big help. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I'd be interested in seeing that list as well.

namewinner.com is another one that might be worth a look while you're at it.
    [left][font=Arial]"If you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra [/font][/left]

Thanks, tamborinegal. I'll add that to the list.
    Eathan Mertz

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread