Looking at new affiliates
    Thinking about members here trying to get started, and being "fresh" myself, I was thinking about the major classifications of affiliates, and how to characterize them. Knowing what path you want to choose, helps determine how you chart your course when searching and finding more info. Did some searches, but only came up with scattered tidbits here and there.

Which ones am I missing? Would you add anything or describe them differently than I did?

Datafeed affiliates - Work with any merchant. Needs good datafeed tools, and feed manipulation skills.
    PPC affiliates - Work with any merchant. Needs good EPC.
    Coupon affiliates - Work with any merchant. Needs coupons for pretty much anything.
    Content affiliates - Primarily work within a specific focus/topic/niche. As a content affiliate, hard to be expert in various areas to create strong content. Needs monetization via product searches, inline links, adwords, etc.
    Loyalty affiliates - Focus on limited products, provides rewards in exchange for actions. Often viewed as sketchy or risky approach.
    Email affiliates - primarily focused on newsletters or other email campaigns. Can be similar to content affiliate. May be viewed similar to loyalty as a possible sketchy/spammy approach.
    Lead generation - ?
    Mobile - ?
    Last edited by I.M.O.G.; July 11th, 2011 at 11:03 AM.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by I.M.O.G. View Post
    Datafeed affiliates - Work with any merchant. Needs good datafeed tools, and feed manipulation skills.
    PPC affiliates - Work with any merchant. Needs good EPC.
    Coupon affiliates - Work with any merchant. Needs coupons for pretty much anything.
    Content affiliates - Primarily work within a specific focus/topic/niche. As a content affiliate, hard to be expert in various areas to create strong content. Needs monetization via product searches, inline links, adwords, etc.
    Loyalty affiliates - Focus on limited products, provides rewards in exchange for actions. Often viewed as sketchy or risky approach.
    Email affiliates - primarily focused on newsletters or other email campaigns. Can be similar to content affiliate. May be viewed similar to loyalty as a possible sketchy/spammy approach.
    Going to open a big ol' can of worms here

I think your verbiage "Work with any merchant" needs to be reworded to something else. I read it as an affiliate literally works with ANY merchant BECAUSE they are a particular type of affiliate.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

3. Thanks From:

Heh, good point. Don't mean to imply that affiliates can easily be categorized... But it seems that starting out, most affiliates are looking at focusing in a single direction. Well developed sites by advanced affiliates, from what I've seen, often apply multiple approaches combined as they make sense (do what works)... But newbies are lucky if they primarily do one well from what I've seen in the "site review requests".

My intent on the ones who I said could "work with any merchant", is just that they have a lot of flexibility due to the approach. On a single project, a datafeed/coupon/PPC affiliate doesn't have to focus on only specific merchants or products. A content or loyalty affiliate will typically not have the variety similar to what a datafeed or coupon affiliate may.

Not saying anything about the values of each "category", just generalizations (I know they are dangerous), and talking about common approaches. Like CPA networks aren't evil, but often times they can be viewed as risky/sketchy, due to problems that may be more common within those networks than some others.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

5. Thanks From:

I guess lead generation is a classification.

7. Thanks From:

Mobile

9. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Matt you have stepped into the dichotomy of how affiliate work and how networks classify them. There are two primary network classifications, Site Categories and Promotional Methods.

Site Categories are financial, travel, shopping, Clothing/Apparel, Home & Garden, to name a few. These differ from network to network.

Promotional Methods are content, email, paid search, loyalty and are really limited. You have to look separately for datafeeder which can be used with with most other types. Most networks are not listing social or mobile. Its also dependent on the affiliate to choose their method. Coupon is generally not a listed promotional method.

11. Thanks From:

Loyalty is the same as incentive, I always refer it as incentive so I thought I might mention that.

While most of the categories that I.M.O.G. listed aren't actually listed when an affiliate sign's-up or apply's to your program or network, they are definitely a real life category you should use to distinguish your affiliates.

Maybe add
    CPA affiliate type? - One that sticks to performance based payouts and seek's bonuses.

I was looking at a interesting Blog, Had a good breakdown of what general types of affiliates are out there.

Yeah I would use incentive. And it's actually not sketchy or risky, you just have to get the right pubs/networks. mobile is definitely an emerging one so keep that in.

there are also video affiliates - could be another category of its own but harder to find. i don't know - has anyone found any video providers?

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread