Sitemap Question
    Hello and thanks in advance. Recently I have converted all my Popshop feeds to PHP. I use a online program to help create my sitemaps. I noticed now it sees all my pages of the feeds. Page 2, Page 3 and so forth. Should I be including all the extra pages in my sitemap? Some for example Desktop computers from about a dozen different retailers have around 80 pages.

It has taken around 100 pages to almost 2,000.

Thanks
    Kevin

Hey Kevin, welcome to ABW!

Sitemaps are a way to tell Google about pages on your site we might not otherwise discover. In its simplest terms, a XML Sitemap—usually called Sitemap, with a capital S—is a list of the pages on your website. Creating and submitting a Sitemap helps make sure that Google knows about all the pages on your site, including URLs that may not be discoverable by Google's normal crawling process. Source
    *Bold, underline and italics added by me.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Cool
    klm1159: see if your sitemap program generates some type of "sitemap-index." Google Tools will accept that instead of the individual sitemaps.

Otherwise, you'll have to list each one -- it's very necessary.

I submitted almost 2,000 to Google and its says it has indexed 32 of them. I'm not sure if this is normal or not? It hasn't been 24 hours since I submitted late yesterday afternoon so I'm not sure if this number will grow or not.

All the urls were submitted in one sitemap.xml file.

Google says they don't always index every url in a sitemap. I'm lucky to get 10% in some. I think they pick at the sitemaps over time because there are so many to work with in the world.

Plus, you'll sometimes find a difference in count between what they say they've found and the result of using the command: (in Google.com) site:www.yoursite.com which may be more dynamic.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Kevin, I am several years out of SEO but back in the day (6-7 years ago) Google would first index the top page then come back a month later for the next tier. The sitemap is a shortcut for the search engine to find your pages. Its just a common sense approach to giving the SE what they are trying to find.

Thanks for the replies. I have so many questions but I guess that I will tackle them one at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by klm1159 View Post
    Hello and thanks in advance. Recently I have converted all my Popshop feeds to PHP. I use a online program to help create my sitemaps. I noticed now it sees all my pages of the feeds. Page 2, Page 3 and so forth. Should I be including all the extra pages in my sitemap? Some for example Desktop computers from about a dozen different retailers have around 80 pages.

It has taken around 100 pages to almost 2,000.

Thanks
    Kevin
    If they are important,then do it...

sitemap is way to make understand search engine .
    hello
    the sitemap helps search engine to get understand, as you already told you create it .if you want to do increase more pages in your site you can generate new site map with the help of some tools or any developer . thnx for hearing me.
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; September 6th, 2011 at 12:22 PM. Reason: link removed

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread