Would you be open to a thread discussion about the ODP (that'd be DMOZ for us clods, right?) and affiliate sites?

If so, which area would you prefer?

Frank
    "Just the facts, Ma'am." Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    How about a discussion concerning smart mouthed dmoz editors that like to cut you down when you ask a question at their forum..... .
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by elbowcreek:
    How about a discussion concerning smart mouthed dmoz editors that like to cut you down when you ask a question at their forum..... . <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right you are EC. One of the reasons I asked Moo here at this forum.

Maybe if we keep the flames and name calling out of the posts we could get some real and valuable info.

Frank

Unfortunately, it seems like it varies tremendously depending on the editor.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Amazing in over 8 years of trying DMOZ.com has never responded or reviewed suspenders.com the #1 site in the world for men's suspenders. All other SE's rank it at the top for suspenders and men's suspenders and the geeks there just crawl under a rock when challenged to act on the URL request.

http://search.dmoz.org/cgi-bin/searc...s&cat=Shopping
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I just did a search at dmoz for suspenders and found suspenders.com is listed here:

http://dmoz.org/Shopping/Clothing/Accessories/

under the title Holdup Suspender Company.

dmoz is not a search engine and so the search facility is not very sophisticated and meant more to help editors than searchers.

Dynamoo. When you get around to reading this:

1. I retract my opening question.
    2. I see now that it would be side-tracked.
    3. Sorry to make you read all this.

Frank

Feel free to ask any questions in the Search Engine Insight thread (yeah, yeah it's a directory).

Note that I can't answer specific questions about sites or submissions as those are what the ODP Public Forum is for, nor can I give you a "how to" on getting affiliate sites into the ODP (because affiliate sites aren't allowed.. generally), but feel free to raise any general questions in that forum.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Sorry, Frank, if I sent the thread on the path to destruction.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dynamoo:
    nor can I give you a "how to" on getting affiliate sites into the ODP (because affiliate sites aren't allowed.. generally) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's the crux of the problem. All of us are interested in getting affiliate sites into the directory.

Perhaps that would be the appropriate discussion. What types of affiliate sites are allowed and under what conditions? How can we make our sites more palatable for the ODP editors?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I had a daily journal site, no ads at all, and all I got from my inquiry about it at the resource zone was a smart @ss comment from the editor. They spent more time critiquing my inquiry than it actually would have taken them to look at the site. It's no wonder it takes 2 years before they get around to looking at sites: 1, they ignore individuals who make a sincere effort to volunteer and 2, they screw around insulting people that have legitimate questions. There are some editors there that need to spend less time looking down their noses at people and more time remembering that they volunteered to help add legitimate sites to the directory.

ODP is becoming Irrelevant.

I find it utterly amazing that many if not most of the sections in ODP are total crap. Many, many, many sites are gone only to be replaced by traffic redirectors making a buck on Google/Overture or whatever else they can attach a monitary value to. Thus leaving the directory full of poop and lots of it.

It's time for the ODP to get on the backs of their so called "Un-biased Editors" and start deleting the crap and start adding in some relevent listings.

Relevancy Check Needed.

Poopie
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

Internet Cowboy
    I was in a meeting recently. I was attending with a client. It was a meeting regarding SEO and such, put on by a local web design firm.

The lady giving the meeting, who is co-owner of the web design firm, said the following:
    "It is important to get your site listed in DMOZ. And since I am the editor for the (town name) area, all of my customers will get listed in the directory."

How wrong is that? She is using her position as editor at DMOZ to gain clients for her own business.

As it turns out, this was my last web design client so I really don't care. But if I relied on web design income I would have a bit of a problem with this.

Who could this be reported to so that she might not be able to continue using the ODP for her personal gain?

I'd be willing to bet she doesn't allow anyone in her part of the directory that she perceives as a competitor, either.

Well... look, if you want to start a thread in the Search Engine Insight forum then go ahead, but since this thread was really aimed at me I'll close it.

(Started a thread here).
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread