ok, just talked to the web host. The server I am on is getting old and they want to move my site to a newer one. Does anyone know if this will impact search engine placing? What "Things to do" should I be looking at / telling them to do? Getting a little bit nervous now...

Hi Ian,

When we changed our servers and NS info we experienced a -2 google page rank drop the first 2 months. After that we jumped back up to original ranking.

We didn't notice much difference in search engine traffic though.
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

if the move is seamless the short answer is no...

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Like Joe said. Just like switching to a new host.

If the sys admin loads your data into the new server before the switch there *should* be no change. Either for you, the surfer, and most importantly for the SE's.

The SE is looking for mysite.com/ or 33.193.xxx.xxx. You have the same index.html (or whatever), so SE is a happy camper.

I believe the industry term for this type of action is 'hot swap'. The new server is 'hot' and ready before the swap.

Frank
    "Just the facts, Ma'am." Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

Shouldn't be a big deal.

You might have to re-check file permissions, etc... Sometimes data gets garbled during a move, so make sure you backup.

FYI: You might want to renew your domain name while you're at it.

If you're keeping the same IP address, it should be virtually transparent.

If you're changing IP addresses, you'll want to make sure they put the new one up first and that all your traffic transitions over there before they take the old one down. Otherwise, you will have varying lengths of downtime for different visitors.

Another thing to keep in mind is any development platforms, programming libraries, etc. Have you installed anything special on your current machine? Even if you haven't, the new machine may have newer versions of stuff which may not be 100% backwards compatible. It's always hard to tell until you can play around with the new machine.

What I suggest is to get the new machine set up, configured, and everything copied over. Then, change your "hosts" file on your PC to point your domain(s) to the new machine. Browse and make sure everything looks okay. If it does, you're set.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Cape cod: You trying to sneak in there?

Thanks everyone for your comments. Sounds like the "hot swap" plan is the best plan.

Michael: I will definitely pass your info along to the system admin there when it's time.

Thanks everyone!

Have them setup your new server so you can check and make sure everything works. The best way is if they configure the new server with the same IP address as your current server (they use a new IP at first so you can check everything out, when all is ok, they take it off the network, change IP(s) to the same as your current IPs), turn off the old and plug in the new and then check everything again. If they do it this way, not even the SEs should mind, or even know.

If they need to assign new IP(s) (if so, ask them why), setup everything on the new server, check it out, then modify your DNS to point to the new server. Leave both servers running for a couple days until you see practically no traffic to the old server-then turn it off. This way, nearly everyone is serviced ok. You may take a temporary hit on the SEs with this option but you should recover easily.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Thanks for the reply Xandman. The more I re-read this entire thread, the clearer the path becomes. I will definitely make my requests!

Thanks again everyone!

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread