I'm completely new to Adsense and so last night I tried to set up some channels for different sites and different pages. I didn't really know what I was doing, it turns out, and I think I may have lost a day's worth of clicks.

Because I didn't read all the instructions completely before starting (does anybody?), I was creating URL channels and Custom channels like a madman. At one point I created a channel for a site with the "www" and another without the "www." It said I couldn't do that, so I deactivated the one without the "www." Now it has allowed me to reactive it however and hasn't said anything about not being able to do it.

Anyway, so today I'm checking my adsense account and I'm getting more impressions than ever, but not clicks - not one. I thought it would just need to catch up, but then I started looking into the things I had done last night and discovered the deactivated channel (which I had forgotten about).

So, this leaves me with two questions:

1. Did I lose a day of clicks because of the this?

2. Is there a way I can wipe out all of what I did and just go back to the simple, dumb way of doing things until I have time to actually read through all of the instructions? Will deactivating a URL channel not count the clicks I get on that site?

Many thanks if anyone can help. It makes me a little crazy to know people are clicking away but I'm not getting credit (or maybe I am?).

ABW Ambassador
    Calm down. Breath deeply, again, again......

If you're creating channels, there's a two day delay before you can see the clicks. Take a look at the FAQ's.

Bob

Thanks Bob. I did see that, but I took it to mean you could see it on the aggregate data, but just not broken down.

Do channels work that way - they show impressions but not clicks? I am seeing my impressions.

You might even have to wait a bit longer than 2 days. I set up some new channels last week and it took 5-6 days to start showing data.

ABW Ambassador
    I haven't set up any channels yet, but I do know there is a delay, but there is a way to see the total clicks also as if you didn't have channels.

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I haven't set up any channels yet, but I do know there is a delay, but there is a way to see the total clicks also as if you didn't have channels. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is what I was thinking... and what I was afraid of. I've looked at my aggregate data and see zero clicks for today. I wonder if the clicks are registering at all.

I had a similar reaction when I set up the channels for my other sites.

At first I panicked because it looked like I was getting no clicks but withing 3 days it was tracking all my sites and the clicks have been pretty steady.

Just hang in there a bit longer.
    Never argue with an idiot.
    The person watching, may not be able to tell the difference!

:female: :star: :envelope: [url="http://www.bridalbasics.ca/"]:weddingca[/url]

HomeFlower ... thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for - someone who has experienced the same thing. Hopefully my situation will be like yours. (hate waiting three days for stats, though)

ABW Ambassador
    Send a msg to Google and see what they have to say. They'll be able to tell you how many clicks you had.

Bob

Channel clicks show up in aggregate as they come in (normal 2 hour delay). Channel breakdown is delayed two days, so if you stay up past midnight PST, you can see the channel breakdown for the day before you're just ending.

If you're showing no aggregate clicks, you have no channel clicks. Have you checked all your pages are displaying relevant adds, etc?
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Yes, pages were showing the right type of ads. I've written google a note. I'll see what they say.

Well, good luck. Sorry to say, but it sounds like you haven't had any clicks...

They count impressions and clicks off the same id in your AdSense display code. If they can count the impressions, they can count clicks on those impressions, and like I said, clicks show in aggregate data a couple hours after they come in.

Did you go over the channel limit? I have no idea if that could cause a problem, but you did say you were "...like a madman" when setting up channels...
    Eathan Mertz

Well, I've yet to hear back from Google, but I have started to get clicks again today. Yesterday still registers at zero clicks. So, it looks like the problem was probably deactivating one of my channels. Why anyone would NOT want to get money for clicks seems preposterous. That google seems to have it set up that way also seems preposterous.

The possibility of not having any clicks at all yesterday simply doesn't seem realistic. My site is pretty new, and traffic is increasing everyday, and so were the clicks. Already today, for example, just halfway through the day, I have almost as many clicks as I had for the whole day two days ago.

The lesson here seems to be: Watch what you deactivate! ... Still not sure if that's the problem or not, but it seems to be. I would also like to be able to just wipe all my channels away and go back to dumb tracking, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that. I see an "edit name" function, but can't see where I could just delete the things. Of course I don't want to deactivate anything now.

I'll report back on what google says.

http and a telephoto
    Setting up channels has nothing to do with recording your clicks overall. The only way it would mess up your clicks is if you cut and pasted the code incorrectly.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I see an "edit name" function, but can't see where I could just delete the things. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is pretty annoying that they sit there under "Inactive Custom Channels" forever. My guess it'd screw up past reporting to let you remove channels with data associations.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The only way it would mess up your clicks is if you cut and pasted the code incorrectly. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that'd mess up the counting of impressions too, but it may be possible.

Out of curiosity I looked back over the last few months. We had a 0 day in November. I was just as shocked...
    Eathan Mertz

Well, the response from Google was: "activating and de-activating channels does not affect our system of registering valid clicks."

Odd that on the day of the most impression I've had so far, I had zero clicks. Fishy, in fact. But I'm moving on.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread