Question Merchants Not Terminating North Carolina Affiliates
    Have been watching this thread about the California merchants who are not terminating CA affiliates - http://www.abestweb.com/forums/calif...es-146298.html

Was wondering if there's a list anywhere for NC? I saw the thread from 2009 but was wondering if there was a more current list anywhere.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Merchants Not Terminating North Carolina Affiliates
    Good idea MicheleH and started a thread for merchants not terminating North Carolina affiliates.

If you are a merchant that will be keeping North Carolina affiliates in your program please list your program here.

That will help North Carolina affiliates find programs that they can keep using.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; July 15th, 2011 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Fixed mistake.

What would be really nice is if the merchants themselves would make things more clear in their program offerings be they on their own site or one of the program sites like CJ or SAS. I looked up CSN on SAS and they had some vague statement about NEXUS states but don't specifically state which states they have pulled out of. Amazon had nothing that I could find that said NC was out.

Seems like it would make it easier for everyone if they just put this info in their TOS.

Carousel Checks, Girly Checks, Extra Value Checks, and BusinessChecks.org will NOT terminate North Carolina Affiliates.

We do not plan to terminate ANY affiliates in ANY state. We strive to run the most affiliate friendly programs and in doing so we intend to work with everyone, whatever it takes.
    Jill Swartwout, President
    Beaches and Towns Network, Inc

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    What would be really nice is if the merchants themselves would make things more clear in their program offerings be they on their own site or one of the program sites like CJ or SAS. I looked up CSN on SAS and they had some vague statement about NEXUS states but don't specifically state which states they have pulled out of. Amazon had nothing that I could find that said NC was out.

Seems like it would make it easier for everyone if they just put this info in their TOS.
    Do the affiliate manager a favor and email that statement. Some times its upper management keeping them from updating. Otherwise it helps when you get affiliate feedback to know there is more clarification needed.

Tax Paying Member
    I have e-mailed a couple of merchants and asked the question directly......but they have not responded.

Can we always go by the merchants TOS, because it seems that some do not update TOS???

Being an NC affiliate, only a few of my merchants dropped me. If I have made a sale and gotten paid then I assume the merchant is safe.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Quote Originally Posted by Witzer View Post
    I have e-mailed a couple of merchants and asked the question directly......but they have not responded. // Can we always go by the merchants TOS, because it seems that some do not update TOS??? // Being an NC affiliate, only a few of my merchants dropped me. If I have made a sale and gotten paid then I assume the merchant is safe.
    It's always uncomfortable when an advertiser doesn't respond to direct questions from a publisher.

It's not just that they might still terminate you without warning, but if they don't respond to you, then they also might not serve their customers very well.

I'm sure that there are many hundreds of advertisers who simply haven't yet considered the "advertising-nexus" issue, and of course there are many more who've deliberately chosen to ignore these laws (for a variety of reasons).

But even when advertisers do act, it appears that a majority of advertisers who choose to terminate publishers in specific "nexus" states (and who reject applications from publishers in those states) do not disclose this information on their "affiliate recruitment" pages, nor in their terms & conditions or other documentation for the program, nor in their decline notifications.

Assuming anything can be dangerous. I had assumed that a Canadian retailer wouldn't be subject to California's "advertising-nexus" law, and so ten days after the law took effect, I added some links to BookCloseouts to replace the Amazon links I've demoted. The very next day (July 11), I received a termination notice from BookCloseouts, citing the California "advertising-nexus" law.
    Last edited by markwelch; July 18th, 2011 at 03:35 PM.

HostingArmor
    sorry if i am selfpromoting but HostingArmor is from Charlotte and we Love our NC Affiliates

Hi! I'm new to this site. I have been researching becoming an affiliate for many weeks now. I have all "my ducks in a row" and am ready to start building my website! I'm so excited!!! And one morning, (yesterday), I found something about a law for NC affiliates! I read everything I could find about it. Mostly it all says the same thing; affiliate marketers in NC are being taxed. What does that mean for me as a "wannabe" affiliate marketer? Please help me understand if I have done all this research for NOTHING!!!
    (I'm at work right now, writing this email, and I want to be home working on my site!LOL!)

Hozta.com will never terminate any affiliates in any states. We will enforce each states law and follow it to at T, but you can be an affiliate with us no matter where you live.

We love North Carolina so much, we call it our home

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread