I have a clean humor site that I've had up for a couple years. Traffic is nothing amazing, but it's solid and growing (about 500 uniques per day at the moment). To be honest, I mostly do this one because I enjoy it and I don't think it has to be raunchy to be funny. But I'd also like to make a little money with it while I'm at it. I have tried Adsense and Adsonar (I'm lucky to see a return of 30 cents per thousand views with text ads.) I've also tried a few CJ programs like ThinkGeek and other wacky gift items. Zero sales. I've used a few different banners from Fastclick, but they are available & funded sporadically at best, it seems...and despite the fact that I've turned off the "automatically add your new junk to my account" settting...they keep doing it. I refuse to load it up with spyware or any of those other really crappy ads. Has anyone had success with anything they might recommend? It seems like CPM might be the way to go...humor audiences appear to be less responsive to other kinds of advertising. I feel like I am offering something of value on a quality site. Just haven't been able to find a good solution. Not looking for big money (or I'd add the dirty stuff and spyware ads). I'd be grateful for any feedback or suggestions. Thanks! ;-)
    <p align="left"><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"><font color="#930000"><b>CHUCK BROWN</b></font>: <a href="http://TornBread.com" target="_blank">Torn Bread Network</a></font></p>

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Hey Chuck, welcome to ABW!

I also have clean humor sites.

You can sell on humor content sites. It just takes a lot more work than throwing up some ads. The key is content. For example, if your visitors are there for baby humor, place ads for baby merchants and links to baby products. On my sites just about every page advertises something different. It's profitable, but a pain in the neck!

Good luck!

I've been earning CPA revenue from my humor site (mostly via it's newsletter) for years, so I'd recommed you try some CPA ads.
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    Over 120 merchants with CPA/CPS programs seeking affiliates
    Over 4500 network publishers seeking programs to advertise
    Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

Sorry a good humor site is already up..

A BEST WEB<span class="ev_code_RED">A BEST WEB</span>

Funniest place I've been in the universe and dat's no Poop.
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

I appreciate the suggestions so far (and I'd love to hear more. Let me ask a slightly amended version. I have used Fastclick (don't like the caliber of most of their stuff...lots o' spyware) and Azoogle (really weak, warmed-over offers from what I've seen). Shareasale's site drives me insane. Can anyone recommend a good spyware-free source for a variety of different programs (CPC, CPA, CPM)? I am just getting around to checking out Kalimbo. Any others that would come highly recommended? Thanks again!
    <p align="left"><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"><font color="#930000"><b>CHUCK BROWN</b></font>: <a href="http://TornBread.com" target="_blank">Torn Bread Network</a></font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    The biggest problem here is that a humor site does not target "shoppers" at the moment that they are "shopping". It targets cuirious or bored surfers who are just passing some time.

I would suggest putting up ads for some big players with instant brand recognition; Overstock, Amazon, etc. You still probably won't make the big bucks, but you'll at least catch a few sales sideways when somebody has occasion to buy something, and had the cookie set on their PC as a result of a curiosity click on the day they were on your site.

Have you tried AdBrite? That offers Google-style text ads but works in a different way - individual advertisers choose the sites they want to deal with directly.

But to be perfectly honest, it's hard to generate revenue directly from a humor site (I know!), and sometimes the most valuable think is the value of plain outbound links that you can send to other sites.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

contextual ads and PPC earns fast...

The problem is with contextual ads on humorsites is that they tend to pick up all the wrong keywords. Imagine you have a joke about widgets - you'll probably get widget ads rather than humor ads.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Seems like you guys have come to common conclusions. It's good for a few pennies here and there...but probably better for driving traffic to other stuff (and I have plenty of other stuff to drive them to). I don't want to invest the time to break mine down into categories, etc...although I can see how that would help with targeting ads. And while I have been collecting addresses for a newsletter for some time, it's not something I really want to invest time in right now. I'll probably eventually have someone handle that for me.

Thanks again for the help. Good to know I'm not alone in learning some of these lessons...even if some of them are a bit painful. ;-)

You may want to try to promote t-shirts or funny posters. As the owner of a humor site I agree with all the comments made above.

I can't help but ponder what would happen if you created something really unique that received tons of traffic. Something along the lines of jibjab.

JP's point about newsletters is a good one - if you update your site from time-to-time you can try for signups, and advertise your own affiliate sites in the newsletters.

I use Topica (it's free) - http://lists.topica.com/

ABW Ambassador
    Humor books. Make your own ads using the Amazon webservice, a browsenode and a custom PHP transform function to return any combination of ad sizes.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

The idea of creating one's own content for a humor site is a great one. However, that's a huge commitment of time and resources, if you want to do it well.

AND...most of those sites end up having their stuff taken and posted on other sites...so you don't get direct monetary benefit.

I know there are other business models. I just don't want to work that hard on a site that I do mostly for fun. ;-)

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread