I have heard that google is not indexing affiliate sites anymore, and it seems that it might be true because I get about 1 hit from google a day where it use to be 50-70 hits per day, now all my traffic come from yahoo or msn...and I heard that they will probably suit, I hope not...geez it took 2 yrs of hard expermenting to get a proper keyword combo. I also here robot.txt is the way to go. Hmmm...what and how do you get or create a Rbt.txt Sorry if this question has been asked before but I just need to know from some experienced folks, what is your opinions on this and what does a person do now to get back in google? Thanks for the reply!

ABW Ambassador
    "I have heard that google is not indexing affiliate sites anymore"

Not true.

"what does a person do now to get back in google?"

Assuming you have a clean site, not sure how good you are at SEO, the only thing you can really do is just get some links in and be patient.

Yes its a clean site,

ABW Ambassador
    Not true.

true

blue

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> robot.txt <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

your question isn't answered yet.

robots.txt is a file that should be in the root of every domain you have. It determines the action to be taken by the legitimate search engine robots on your site. You can exclude searches on specified directories, like cgi-bin and tell the spiders to follow everything else.

make a file called robots.txt and make the contents say (at least)

User-agent: *
    User-agent: Mediapartners-Google*

Disallow: /cgi-bin/

that will allow the spiders to completely search your site, if they wish, and also allow the google spiders to come see what they want to see regarding adsense ad patches on your site.

others here may have better advice.

ABW Ambassador
    When Bizrate loses its millions of #1 rankings for sweet commercial terms, then we'll know we're all in trouble.

Google has no problem with affiliate sites. It has a problem with duplicate content issues. Affiliate sites in general just happen to include duplicate content by default, so they have a steeper hill to climb to the top.

Robots.txt is created in a file with the .txt extension (notepad is great) that allows some robots to crawl your website while blocking others, or can allow or disallow all robots completely.

I blocked a bunch of bandwith-robbing bots from my websites.

Try this site Robots Pageand read up on it.

Google looks for a robots.txt file, and (judging from what I've read) if it is present, helps with your page ranking factors.

So put up some kind of robots.txt file.

Later,
    Rick K.
    "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't...You're right!" -Henry Ford-

So...should a person hide their affiliate links in a robot.txt file? I have no idea how this thing works, and I probably asking silly questions. But if things are a changin'...
    Is there software that can do that? <hide the links> Thanks..

No no no.. robots.txt is a control file for indexing bots (like the Googlebot) to let them know if they are welcome or not.

Rick K's link is a good example of what you might want, but by default your site will most likely NOT have a robots.txt, which is an invitation for ALL bots to spider your complete site.

Mine just says:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>User-agent: *
    Disallow: /protected/ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got a password protected directory that it's in the bots own interests not to bother with, that's all.

Now.. just before Christmas there was a change in the Google algo that impacted on some sites quite severely. This happens once or twice a year when the parameters are tweaked and the index rebuilt. Datafeed sites seem to have been badly hit, handcrafted sites seem to have been OK. The problem with the Google algo is that it is pretty complex and the results are not always 100% predictable when it comes down to individual sites.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

<DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

Making Affiliate Marketing FUN!
    What would you put if you want the spider to go through your whole site? Do you just edit it in notepad?

You can just edit it in notepad and upload it.

For a long, long time I just had a blank robots.txt file there with no entries at all... and the only reason I did *that* was because my error log was full of bots trying to find it and coming up with a 404 error.

IMHO it makes no difference if you *don't* have a robots.txt, but you can always just create a blank one to be on the safe side.

(A side note: disallowing a bot access to something in robots.txt will only apply to those bots that adhere to the robots.txt standard, and it doesn't offer you any additional security. In fact, listing things you'd sooner remain hidden in the robots.txt will just advertise that they exist to people or bots poking around your site).
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Well my concern was when I asked the question was for my 1 affiliate site out of a dozen that is actually doing quite well, a friend of mine has a credit card site that was blowing smoke and making him some serious moola,about $4000 a month, now his pages are few and far between. He says I need to hide all affiliate links because GOOGLE will put you (if you have affiliate links) waaay back in the pages, and I need a RBT.txt file to hide the links...I just now learned this software well enough to make a respectable looking site and still I need improvement, now I need to hide the links? Thanks for all the feedback..and sorry to ask a question that has been probably asked 100's of times. Now 1 more question and I will put this to bed (actually maybe a couple of questions)
    1. Should I hide my links?
    2. Yahoo and MSN are doing well for me, do yall (my southern english) think yahoo and MSN will do the same {if Google is doing this}
    3. Is there software that hides links...many more questions but for now that is all I am going to ask.
    Again, thanks so much for the feed back! Arky

don't hide links, the customers need to find them.

google.com would like to see some content on the pages as well as affiliate links.

your friend who likes to "hide links" needs to define the process better; it doesn't make sense the way it is presented so far.

ABW Ambassador
    "He says I need to hide all affiliate links because GOOGLE will put you (if you have affiliate links) waaay back in the pages"

Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread