Replacing hundreds of products ... over and over
    Last week it seemed to be Overstock and Old Navy - every day a lot of the same products would go inactive, and I'd replace them only to have the same thing happen each day.

Now it seems to be Target. I just finished replacing hundreds of items and poof! They're inactive again.

Can anyone explain why this happens and how I can get off this never-ending merry-go-round? This is becoming a maintenance nightmare, especially the last couple of days. I can never get caught up. I hand-pick the first page of products for my shops and let auto-feed show more.

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    That happened to me with CSN over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over, and while always promised answers and fixes, it never happened.

One I get rid of all their products I won't have to worry about them anymore since they ran screaming from CA before the ink was dry.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    joyaz - I hear ya, I see the same thing with certain merchants and it does become a maintenance nightmare. I've gotten to where I only use some of the bigger merchants as filler (using autofeed) so I won't have so many products to replace. This is an ongoing issue with several larger merchants (Target, Wal-Mart, CSN, Overstock, etc.) just dumping merchandise from their datafeed at random. I had to look at how much money I was making from them and if it was worth maintaining their products on my websites. In most cases it wasn't because their commissions are fairly low anyway.

ABW Ambassador
    joyaz -Something is definitely wrong with the Target datafeed. Even though I can search and it shows there are 43 products for a particular keyword search, when I click to view, it's only showing 3 products. Hopefully, it will correct itself with the next datafeed update.

Joy,

For the last several days, I have notice that there has been problems with many merchant feeds. I always send an email to support. Yesterday I noticed problems with almost every merchant I had with GAN in that the product numbers in the feed were almost half of what they usually are. You are right a total nightmare maintenance wise. I have yet to go to Popshops this morning as I am dreading to see what "problems" are facing me this morning.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

And yet another GAN merchant feed bites the dust ... BLAIR just had an update. Now when I search for common items (ie. "dress") it indicates 67 products - but in reality there are 2 products over 3 pages.

What is happening with GAN? Time to email support again.

Sears (also on GAN) just had a big update too and at least 170 of my products disappeared. Same weirdness happening.

When I search for specifics, once again I get results with blank pages. Blair and Kmart still aren't right.

Hi all,

GAN is aware of the the issues with their feeds and are working on a fix. We appreciate you patience while this issue is corrected.

Michelle

Thanks, Michelle.

Another frustrating point is that as some of these products come back, they still have to be deleted from shops and replaced... same product description, same price but they still show as inactive.

I'm just guessing here but when I used to work for a toy company every time the supplier price or actual supplier changed, the accountants wanted a new product number. That way they could figure out the exact cost vs profit instead of averaging. We had big name retailers complaining but since the accountants had been allowed to assume virtual control of the company, it continued anyway.

Doesn't explain the overall problems GAN is having but it might be why the products numbers are changing so often. Seems a ridiculous way to do business but what the heck should I know, as I was told multiple times, I was just a member of the IT department, not an accountant.

Thanks, Michele - obviously something must be different for the products to stay in inactive status.

It's 1 step forward and 3 steps back right now ... Sears products I just replaced this morning are now inactive again. Can't win and if I didn't fear ending up in a hole too big to crawl out of, I'd just leave Popshops alone until this all gets sorted out.

Still having this issue, mostly with GAN merchants, on a smaller scale. When I replace the products, I can't see anything that's changed (same price, same description, same image).

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread