Question risks to subcontracting ad placement?
    I've a website for computer reviews. Many of the pages have old affiliate links that no longer work and need to be replaced. I use freelancers to help me with many webdev tasks.

Linkshare has the multiple user feature, where I can provide a freelancer with his/her own login so s/he can pull links. For the other networks, I could temp. change my password for the freelancer. What are the risks of allowing a freelancer to pull links and add them to my website? I don't see any, but I might be missing something.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    CJ has the ability to allow multiple users and can limit their use:
    Link User - May only search for, view and copy links for advertisers

The fear is that they would be able to change your contact information and have the money sent to them before you knew it.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    You would also need to review each and every link to make sure they have your affiliate referral information...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    You would also need to review each and every link to make sure they have your affiliate referral information...
    True but that has nothing to do with pulling links. Even without access to my affiliate logins, a freelancer who is coding my website can change to his own links.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leafgreen View Post
    I've a website for computer reviews. Many of the pages have old affiliate links that no longer work and need to be replaced. I use freelancers to help me with many webdev tasks.

Linkshare has the multiple user feature, where I can provide a freelancer with his/her own login so s/he can pull links. For the other networks, I could temp. change my password for the freelancer. What are the risks of allowing a freelancer to pull links and add them to my website? I don't see any, but I might be missing something.
    Quote Originally Posted by leafgreen View Post
    True but that has nothing to do with pulling links. Even without access to my affiliate logins, a freelancer who is coding my website can change to his own links.
    Exactly. Think you missed the point I was making.

You asked what the risks were having a freelancer ADD links to your site.

Your freelancer could easily add THEIR affiliate code, therefore you would need to check each and every link on your site...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Is the site done in Wordpress? I thought I remembered seeing a plugin that would crawl through your posts and update affiliate links (if it's just a matter of updating the affiliate ID) but I don't remember the details, what it might have been called or how well it worked.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread