Tax Paying Member
    Down Times Allowable
    I know that all hosts need to perform maintenance from time to time.

Just curious as to how many little 5 and 10 minute unannounced down times are allowable before a host is considered for replacement??

What happens when gugies little bots are roaming around during these down times??
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    When I sold servers 10 years ago we would talk about 99.9% uptime! At 365.25 days a year time 24 hours a day that's 8766 hours. So down time would be 8.766 hours a year (check my math). If that was all in a row you would have serious issues but they would still be in tolerance. I doubt that low cost shared hosting actually hits 99.9% uptime. Also, when down all they will do is refund the portion of the hosting for that downtime.

If your lively hood is dependent on hosting your sites look into a cloud solution.

Tax Paying Member
    Thanks Chuck.

Moving is not something that I want to do, so I am trying to justify to myself that it is in my best interest to make a move.

I have a reseller account....just for my own sites. The host has already offered a discount on the next billing.

I have experience 39 of those down times since July 1. June was almost as bad.
    I am paranoid that the next host will be the same.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    If you have a number of hosting accounts you can request a "white glove" service to transfer your business. That is usually reserved for premium hosts but its worth asking. Also by vetting the customer service before you move you may save headaches in the future.

I have a reseller account at HostGator and have never had any problems with them.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy View Post
    I have a reseller account at HostGator and have never had any problems with them.
    I hear this from a lot of folks...........Guess that I am the exception.
    Carolina China

Is your reseller account with HG.

Tax Paying Member
    Yes
    Carolina China

That's why I love my dedicated. I can remotely reboot it at will and, if for some reason that doesn't work, I have a quick and responsive tech team at my disposal.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Quote Originally Posted by Witzer View Post
    Yes
    Ask HG to move you to their - senator - server.

It has 36 CPUs and the average server load is always between 1 and 2.

CENTOS 5.6 i686 standard on senator.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; July 19th, 2011 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Added more

If you move, will the techs in the new DC be better?
    @Witzer All boxes go down, from time to time. Hopefully, not frequently. Hard drives die, it is not a matter of "if" but of "when".

If you move, and the box you are on has a HW problem, will the Techs in the new DC be better than those in your old DC? That, to me, is #1 priority: Who will fix the box, if it goes down?

I've been with OLM.NET for 9 1/2 years, on Shared hosting, and I know the people in their (owned) DCs will get the server working properly, ASAP, if some HW dies.

Also, if another site is abusing server resources, I know OLM.NET will get them off of the server, ASAP.

As Chuck mentioned, if your sites are really active, consider moving to the Cloud. Akami, etc.

There are lots of people with Dedicated boxes and Colos, who have *long* outages, if the HW in their box dies. If you consider a Colo, send them a spare server, so your down time will be minimal. But, I don't think coloing is good, if you only have 1 or 2 servers.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread