View Poll Results: Are you comfortable working with a Chinese affiliate program?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, no problem here!

5 45.45%
  • No, not something I want to work with.

4 36.36%
  • Never thought about it.

2 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Chinese Affiliate Programs
    We get an lot of newbies posting from China and many of them are affiliate managers. I have communicated with several over the last year and see that they are trying to market via US networks (Commission Junction, Google). Are you comfortable working with a Chinese company and affiliate manager?

There are some large China-based programs that have been around on the major networks for most of the last decade.

Why should anybody feel any less comfortable working with Chinese people than they would with, say, Australian people or British people?
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

3. Thanks From:

Not meant to be a racist comment. More due to economics, distance and language barrier.

Speaking from forum experience... Language barrier often makes it harder to determine legitimate forum users from spammers. In the past I've often wondered if I'm letting an Indian, Russian, or Chinese spammer slip by, because when you delete 20 spam posts a day from those countries, it is not racist or unnatural to wonder if the 21st post with poor English from that country is a spammer also. That is profiling essentially and its wrong, however it is a natural challenge due to the climate we live within - to say that tendency doesn't exist is lieing. Those countries have disproportionate volumes of forum spam flowing out of them. Its especially hard because often the spammers post, then come back days or weeks later to edit spam links into their old posts, or they insert relevant images that are linked to spam - they do anything that might get picked up by google, but be hard to detect for humans.

Speaking from work experience with the Chinese specifically? I would personally avoid it unless I perceived it to be especially beneficial, due to distance and time challenges. When I was working for a fortune 500, I would dread having to hook up with Asian or Chinese employees on anything for those reasons (When working with Asians, I was primarily working with the Chinese). Scheduling time that works conveniently for both of us is harder than it is working with much of the rest of the world.

In the past 3 years of working with a lot of Asian based companies for website related things, if I need to contact someone specifically who doesn't have a US based media rep, I'm emailing when they are not working and they are emailing when I'm not. Ugh. I can email a US based tech rep in the morning and typically receive a response back before the end of my day. Experience has shown me that this cycle between sending and receiving averages closer to 8 hours than 24, and thats accounting for some people who never reply until the next day. For tech companies that don't maintain US based reps, usually our communications average closer to 24 hours per cycle.

I also have a very hard time with dialects/accents, and I often feel additional stress when working with people from the UK even though that is much less of a stretch language wise. Their timeshift is more manageable for scheduling than anyone from Asia, but depending on what area of the UK they are from, I often had to listen extra intently to get used to their accent even though we're both native English speakers. In this aspect, China is also especially challenging to me because there are something like a dozen Chinese dialects - depending on what area you are speaking with, understanding one region's english could be completely different than understanding anothers.

There are plenty of non-racist reasons people may avoid working with certain countries or areas of the world. Chuck didn't name politics, but if someone had an especially opinionated stance on human rights, that could be reason enough for some people. I've seen people here be outspoken about avoiding Godaddy due to their stance on animal rights.

Other than that, I would say China is probably the biggest and most relevant country to talk about due to whats happening with their economy. It's also harder for me to compose a web page targeting Chinese visitors than it is to target Australian and British visitors - both those countries primarily speak English.

I apologize if anything is viewed as racist above, that is not the intent. There are real challenges that exist, and I mean to share my personal experience on that front. I've worked extensively with Chinese and other Asian companies in the past decade. If I was an affiliate marketer, with the ability to pick and choose which companies I could work with from a worldwide pool of candidates... I'd be more apt to go the route with fewer obstacles. There is certainly opportunity there however, obstacles for one person are opportunities for the next, and due to the obstacles the rewards could be even greater.

EDIT: I didn't vote.
    Last edited by I.M.O.G.; July 18th, 2011 at 08:20 PM.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

I worked through the 90's for an international company that was owned by a Japanese conglomerate. Also coming from a manufacturing background I was used to talking with many nationalities and dialects. It seems that many companies can work via email and chat in English doing a fair job. I have managed multi lingual programs and communicated well just using Google Translate.

One of my questions is do you feel that a company shipping from Main land, Taiwan or Hong Kong can do so effectively. Can they provide customer support to satisfy a US market?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Would only consider them after doing the same due diligence as should be done with any merchant - with one inclusion: They would have to be on Shareasale or another network that guarantees payments. Little difficult to chase after commissions when I am in the U.S. and the merchant is HQ'd in China...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    One of my questions is do you feel that a company shipping from Main land, Taiwan or Hong Kong can do so effectively. Can they provide customer support to satisfy a US market?
    They already effectively do in many areas. A fair few web based firms that look very American are simply shell firms for businesses actually run and managed from China (by Chinese or Americans) and use a localized office for customer support and rapid bulk shipping to get products to the US at speed while holding local stock of best sellers. The Internet opened the door for China based firms to sell direct and no longer need to work via resellers, meaning better prices and often faster deliveries as there is no third party middle man (reseller) to slow down the process any more.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread