ABW Ambassador
    Bing Site: Command Question, Number Of Pages Showing Up
    I was just checking to see if some new pages got in at Google and Bing using site:mysite.com and I noticed on the 4 sites I checked that Bing is now only showing 12-14 results when a few days ago they were all over 100, showing all the pages I had in. Was wondering if anybody else is seeing the same?

Ok, just checked a site, still getting traffic from Bing on pages they don't have listed.
    Last edited by Trust; July 19th, 2011 at 03:07 AM.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Haven't checked recently as most of our sites are datafeed / dynamic. Typically Yahoo! shows more than Bing and the Google shows far more than anyone, combined - typically 40 times more than Yahoo! and 400 times more than Bing. We process every site in similar fashion with each engine.

What is noticeable is that Yahoo! has been slurping sites with great frequency as of late...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, I see Google has all my pages, they're good with that. I'm seeing pretty much the same on Bing and Yahoo, using ABW as an example:

site:abestweb.com - Bing

22 results

site:abestweb.com - Yahoo! Search Results

22 results

Checked some other big sites, seeing the same, low pages. The 22 results jump around a little 19, 20, 21.

As long as I'm getting traffic from the pages I don't see in the index, I guess that's the important thing. Maybe they're just going thru an upgrade/update right now or something. Few days ago, they were showing all my pages.

Trust, I was actually doing the same on Bing last night. What I discovered, by mistake, was that if I clicked "More" and chose something like Images (I was actually checking this one particular site for potentially indexed images), and then clicked Web again it showed more pages than the original site: search did. It did that for every site.

Of course tonight it's showing the right amount of pages as it was after my images/web switching. Not sure if it was a fluke or not, but it was the same way for the 13 sites I did that for (once I noticed that). :\

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilebadboy View Post
    Trust, I was actually doing the same on Bing last night. What I discovered, by mistake, was that if I clicked "More" and chose something like Images (I was actually checking this one particular site for potentially indexed images), and then clicked Web again it showed more pages than the original site: search did. It did that for every site.

Of course tonight it's showing the right amount of pages as it was after my images/web switching. Not sure if it was a fluke or not, but it was the same way for the 13 sites I did that for (once I noticed that). :\
    I think they were just doing something last night because it's all back to normal now. ABW 15,900 results, my sites have their pages showing again.

Several years ago I did a somewhat unscientific experiment with my sites. I kept track of the number of pages Yahoo! Site Explore was reporting for my sites. The sites varied from my writing site (flat HTML files), a blog, a pair of PHP driven sites and a few other flat HTML sites with a variety of niches, servers and hosting providers.

The results are on my blog, if I'm allowed to post a link I'll do so in another post. The short answer - I don't worry about this anymore. A site with 50 indexed pages today will show up with 5 the next month and 150 the month after that. There appeared to be no rhyme or reason to the changes and the fluctuations varied between each of the sites (one might go up and another down the same month).

As long as you're not seeing any changes in traffic, I'd not sweat it.

ABW Ambassador
    "As long as you're not seeing any changes in traffic, I'd not sweat it."

Agree. I don't normally check it myself, just happened to last night and first thought was oh, my pages got delisted but then checked the traffic and it was fine.

Side note, Yahoo Site Explorer is getting canned, it's going to be all Bing Webmaster Tools.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread