Cool What is a good test metric for social media campaigns?
    Been trying to wrap my head around what I have been experiencing, and obviously people have different levels to gauge a successful test. But I just wanted to see what people in general look at for a successful test running on social media like FB and PoF. How many clicks, converts, etc. Been seeing lots of interesting methods.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Luke, this is a tough one as you can't always quantify the success with social campaigns through clicks and sales. Since a lot of it can get shared the tracking won't track across 2nd accounts or moving a Facebook post to a Twitter post. You can test with something unique to the campaign like a promotional code that is tied to the cart. I know affiliates using that method and worrying about tracking breakage but its dependent on the cart.

3. Thanks From:

Chuck's right about not being able to track everything. You could use a promo code to track or a landing page with a unique URL.

As far as measuring if it was successful, I use:
    1) revenue
    2) email/newsletter signups
    2) visitors to your website
    3) signups to your social media account

Pick any one, and compare your conversion rate to your other channels.

Kind of along the lines of what Chuck was saying, a huge part of the role of social media in your efforts can't be quantified in one metric. Visitors may be looking at your social media pages just to get a sense of your reputation- are people saying positive things about this company/product on these forums, is a customer support person responding to problems in a timely fashion, etc.

Simply making sure that any social presence you have reflects positive on what you're trying to offer doesn't have a metric assigned to it, but it just as important as tracking clicks/conversions.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread