Could someone please tell me more about what is involved in becoming an affiliate manager?

what are the required skills?
    Can it pay well?
    Is the pay commission based in somne cases?

etc.....

Many thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Could someone please tell me more about what is involved in becoming an affiliate manager?

what are the required skills?
    Can it pay well?
    Is the pay commission based in somne cases?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From my personal experience:

Required Skills:
    Usually, a relevant bachelor's degree at the minimum, MBA preferred. Anywhere between 2-4 years in online marketing, preferably within the same industry as the company at which you wish to become an AM. Varies widely from company to company.

Pay:
    It can pay well, or not. Some companies do give a performance bonus or commission, some don't. According to Revenue Magazine, the average affiliate manager makes between $40,000 and $110,000 per year. As you can see, it's a more diverse field than it may seem.
    [size=2]Amanda Moralis
    The Eastwood Company
    [email="affiliates@eastwood.com"]affiliates AT eastwood.com[/email]
    [url="http://www.eastwood.com/jump.jsp?itemID=34&itemType=CONTENT"]Sign-up Link[/url]
    [/size]

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Like Amanda says, she is right.

But, you should also be an affiliate marketer yourself first and learn as much as you can from many programs. Once you get to know how all the major networks work, then learn what products are selling on your site and study how people search for keywords, study what google, msn and yahoo are doing and also how to buy domains with those keywords, etc.

The final step is to learn how to make money for your affiliates once you are the AM, no matter what it takes, not the CEO, (well, if your sales are good and your making money for your affiliates, your CEO will profit too in the long run, ofcourse) you should also always be honest and be willing to quit any job that does not allow you to be open and honest with your affiliates and you should be ready to not join or quit if your CEO does not allow you to run the show and make final affiliate decisions, like not joining with parasites, etc. You have to be an affiliate yourself first, so that you can understand.

Here is another free tip. If you research through monster.com you will see that this is an open field with many opportunities throughout the world, and it is just starting. The future is bright and you are welcome in the AM world as merchants are standing by ready for you to help them.

BTW, you are already ahead of the game by reading, learning and asking questions from others here on ABW.

Don't leave ABW not even for a second.

why would you want to do that to yourself??

BTW>> isn't to whole idea about online marketing for most of us all about setting our own hours and ridding one's self of the corPorate leash???

if you are good enough to be an AM your much better off building some websites.. and marketing them.. you'll feel better about yourself... and best part!!!

NO CORPORATE LEASH!!!

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    My2Cents - If you're successful in convincing us all to hop the fence you'll be missing out on working with dynamic AM's like us! *BIG WINK*

Watch what you wish for!!

Corporate leash or not... I love my job (although the multiple vacations annually and working in lounge pants is appealing I must admit)!

Dean - Required Skills from my viewpoint are as follows:

-Ability to multitask and handle a crazy workload that comes well equipped with frequent curveballs
    -Time management
    -Good judgement
    -Ability to be honest and ethical
    -Motivational/leadership
    -Communication
    -Public Relations
    -Human Relations
    -Marketing/Market Research/Analytical/Creative
    -Customer Service/Sales
    -Business Administration/Management
    -Ability to be innovative
    -Perseverance
    -Presentation skills (for convincing your CEO that you're next big idea to attract, satisfy and motivate affiliates will be a hit with both the affiliates AND with your own sr. execs back at the ranch when the ROI comes rolling in)
    -Ability to take initiative and hit the ground running wherever required

Hope that provides some good insight as to the skills a good AM should be using on a regular basis.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'm with My2Cents!

"I love my job..." Soooo many times I've read that phrase (from different people)--about a month or two before they declare their independence!

Dean--there is also the option of running as an "outside" AM or consulting firm like Andy Rodriguez. That way, at least you're not stuck with just one company or another...still too j*b-like for my taste but it's an option outside of the regular "corporate" way.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Liz G.:
    Corporate leash or not... I love my job (although the multiple vacations annually and working in lounge pants is appealing I must admit)!

Dean - Required Skills from my viewpoint are as follows:

-Ability to multitask and handle a crazy workload that comes well equipped with frequent curveballs
    -Time management
    -Good judgement
    -Ability to be honest and ethical
    -Motivational/leadership
    -Communication
    -Public Relations
    -Human Relations
    -Marketing/Market Research/Analytical/Creative
    -Customer Service/Sales
    -Business Administration/Management
    -Ability to be innovative
    -Perseverance
    -Presentation skills (for convincing your CEO that you're next big idea to attract, satisfy and motivate affiliates will be a hit with both the affiliates AND with your own sr. execs back at the ranch when the ROI comes rolling in)
    -Ability to take initiative and hit the ground running wherever required <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Working in lounge pants and multiple vacations wins - and it seems I already earn much more!

Leader:

FWIW, I've been declaring that I love my job for several years now. Still no plans to "declare my independence."

Liz:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I love my job (although the multiple vacations annually and working in lounge pants is appealing I must admit)! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Despite my "corporate leash" (actually, in part, because of it), I took several vacations in 2004 - annual trek to Ohio to see family, time at the Jersey shore, a week in the Poconos, two football road trips with my son, a great anniversary getaway with my wife, another long weekend with my wife in the summer. I don't work in lounge pants, but then again, I enjoy wearing a tie to work, though many folks in my department are jeans and golf shirt types.

As you are seeing, there are multiple answers to what seems a simple question!

The answer imho depends on the type of company you want to work for. A multi-channel retailer will have a bias towards a particular skill-set and education, while a pure-play dot-com may have another.

I am one of those who is not in favor of commission based affiliate managers (based on sales alone) since it is a powerful disincentive for managers to kick out parasites and other bad characters as well as to weed out fraudulent orders.

Also, in my experience affiliate managers tend to have additional responsibilities like search and managing other external marketing partners.
    Best,

David Rogers
    Sr. Manager, E-Commerce
    New Line Cinema
    212 649-4900
    NewLineShop.com
    WBShop.com
    TheOCInsiderShop.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul Ward:
    Working in lounge pants and multiple vacations wins - and it seems I already earn much more! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Geez, I didn't even mention earnings. I'll keep my compensation package, thanks!

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    I really can't complain either mind you - I don't work in lounge pants but I'll deal - I kinda like having to dress for work - keeps me in line. (haha) :P

And while I didn't make it to Bahamas, Belize or Rome for vacation this past year I did make it to NY, Philly and South Cali all in 2004 plus a camping long weekend for Canada Day and various other weekend excursions throughout the year (Niagara Falls last weekend!).

Finally, for the record, while my visit to SoCal was for CJU and not really a vacation, it was tons of fun nonetheless and I got to hang out in LA for a few days with friends following that, making it even MORE worth my while!

We AM's really don't have it so bad. :P (at least I don't!)

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread