OK, I'm working on affiliate links in one of our special sections. During a quick test, I see that the links are coming up dead. I go directly to the merchant site. Dead. I wait 30 minutes and do both again. Dead and, yup, dead.

I go to the network interface and get the phantom AM's e-mail. Send out a courteous missive and ask what is amiss.

The e-mail I get back: "Couldn't find the link on your Web site so I can't help you. Try contacting customer service at (enter PITA network name here)."

Site comes back up after the next test. Send another e-mail, figuring at least I have the person's attention. Ask about a banner that would appear to make sense given their product line and that many competitors already provide. Their response: Don't have it. Make it yourself.

Find drop button. Click. Good-bye.

Morons.

I deal with many smaller merchants, and site outages are fairly common with some of them. I have scripts that check their sites once an hour. If it's down, they get pulled and I get emailed. Once it comes back online, they get added back in. I probably get 2 or 3 of those a week.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Michael:

The outage isn't really that big of a deal, in the grand scheme of things. The chain of events that followed is what really set me off!

Kind of makes you wonder why they even have an affiliate program. Considering the costs that they probably incur from the PITA network, you would think they would at least try to make the affiliate program worthwhile.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    "Their response: Don't have it. Make it yourself."

Don't they know who you are? They should be

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread