Question What features do you like / dislike in data feed providers?
    If you're using a data feed service (PopShops, GoldenCAN, etc), than I am curious about what are your experiences with them, e.g. what do you like or dislike about them. And what would make them better?

You're asking a broad, open-ended question, seeking information that's already been posted by many ABW members, multiple times, without even stating the reason for your inquiry. (For example, are you trying to evaluate services for your use as a publisher or merchant, or are you considering whether to offer a competing service?)

I'd suggest that you spend some time reading through the discussion threads in relevant sub-forums here, then use the search function to search for the name of each datafeed-service provider, and come up with a list of specific issues or subjects that you think are important -- and then share that list and ask whether you've missed any issues or incorrectly prioritized them.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch View Post
    You're asking a broad, open-ended question, seeking information that's already been posted by many ABW members, multiple times, without even stating the reason for your inquiry. (For example, are you trying to evaluate services for your use as a publisher or merchant, or are you considering whether to offer a competing service?)

I'd suggest that you spend some time reading through the discussion threads in relevant sub-forums here, then use the search function to search for the name of each datafeed-service provider, and come up with a list of specific issues or subjects that you think are important -- and then share that list and ask whether you've missed any issues or incorrectly prioritized them.
    Ironically, I asked myself same question. And I followed up with a topic (silly, I know, but I'm not a regular on forums) explaining reason for this question. Topic was deleted because it had a link to my site. I added a comment in this same topic with the explanation, but I see it's not here, so apparently it was deleted as well. I had no idea till I got your reply. I am adding it again but without links or name of the so it doesn't get deleted (stupid, kinda, to delete posts like this, I know):

It's Alexander with site name, a service for product data feeds, still in development. I posted a previous question in this section, and then realized I did not explain why I am asking it.

site name is rooted in semantic web and loosely in the internet of things. The plan is to have a well organized database of products, where each item will comprise of a set of attributes, instead of a typical description blurb. All items are going to form an ontology graph, which can be mapped to your own categories. And each product will have information about availability in merchants data feeds. For each item we will be building a base of user interactions and media (e.g. user reviews, comments, ratings, social likes/shares, images, news etc). This info will be both aggregated and generated by site name. All of the above will be available along with product data in the data feeds. And finally, based on the ontology graph and analysis of user interactions we will be offering product recommendations.

You've described a very interesting project, which (if implemented as you describe) would surely be in great demand.

However, I'm certainly very skeptical about whether you fully understand the issues involved and can actually deliver a useful service as you've described it, because you've just popped in so recently to this forum (with just 15 posts since registering in late March, all suggesting a very limited knowledge of datafeeds and datafeed services, and demonstrating a preference for asking others to do your research for you). After reviewing your earlier posts on ABW, I'm even cynical enough to wonder if you actually understand the buzzwords you've used this morning. And you've acknowledged that you don't understand the rules or common etiquette for online discussion forums in general nor ABW in particular. And even if you're a genius with great technical skills (to accomplish the goals you've set), I see no reason to expect that you understand how to run a business like the one you describe.

I've spent thousands of hours trying unsuccessfully to craft a solution for just one slice of the project you've described. I know that your source data is going to be extremely inconsistent and corrupted. And your recent posts here don't demonstrate an understanding of the issues which neither I nor any existing datafeed-service-provider has yet solved, nor an ability to deliver on other complex aspects of the project. (If you haven't already done so, see this discussion thread for links to my earlier discussions about the complexities of dealing with datafeeds. And search for "datafeed category" to see other discussions about the difficulty.)

Lots of folks have popped in here and announced various services for web publishers, some very ambitious and many more basic, and then vanished just as abruptly. In contrast, a few services (like GoldenCAN, PopShops, and ForMeToCoupon) have been launched by "veterans" who had long demonstrated their understooding of the complexities involved; these services continue to be used by participants here, though none has really achieved its promise.
    Last edited by markwelch; July 22nd, 2011 at 01:56 PM.

Hi Mark,
    I don'd disagree with some of your points. And yes, developing in the full complexity is quite a big task. But the original question has to do only with a single aspect of the scope of my site.
    Also, judging me by my activity on this forum tells you nothing about who I am and what I do. So I would not build your argument on my lack of forum etiquette, number of posts or how long I was here, or how well I use lingo (btw sorry, but English is not my first language anyway).
    I also realize that attempts to do this were made before. That does not scare me, because what you're saying is that if everyone before you failed than you will fail too. I am quite sure that almost every entrepreneur heard it before. So, I don't consider it a strong argument against attempting this. The solution I am working on is not simply another iteration of normalizing data feeds. In fact, originally it has nothing to do with data feeds, and I only thought of it once we started building an affiliate sales site.
    Again, the goal is not make good data feeds, the goal is to make good product data. Merchant info is only supposed to be a part of this product data.

Quote Originally Posted by soda View Post
    ... I also realize that attempts to do this were made before. That does not scare me, because what you're saying is that if everyone before you failed than you will fail too. I am quite sure that almost every entrepreneur heard it before. So, I don't consider it a strong argument against attempting this.
    I'm not suggesting that the problem can't be solved, nor that you can't solve it. What I'm suggesting is that I suspect you don't understand the issues yet.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch View Post
    I'm not suggesting that the problem can't be solved, nor that you can't solve it. What I'm suggesting is that I suspect you don't understand the issues yet.
    Mark, we've started working on building an affiliate section for three of our web sites (which have product sections, but without any kind of commerce on top of them). The time when I registered here is about the same time we started working on the affiliate project. That it was put on hold for about a year and is under development as we speak.

But since I started working on that, I did get into the issues of data feeds. We have data feeds from 4 major networks, and believe me we see the problems as well as come up with solutions.

Besides, in order to understand problems I posted this question, but I did take your advice and started reading old topics here and on Stack Overflow. If you think it's unfair to post such questions here while being lazy to investigate it myself, go ahead and delete this topic.

BTW, I read this one a while ago: http://www.abestweb.com/forums/dataf...in-120559.html

We could make a good team as I am sure me and my co-worker have better programming and database skills, but I don't think you'd be interested. And no, I am not suggesting or offering anything.

9. Thanks From:

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread