I was reading in the archives and I came across some people talking about "one page wonders." Anyone have any?

Some questions about them:

Does a one page wonder have to be on a domain all by itself to count as a "one page wonder"?

If it's all by itself, how does it get the ranking? I thought size of site helped with SE rankings (though not always, of course).

How would you build up PR for Google? Do you find other sites are reluctant to link to a one page site?

ABW Ambassador
    Google is just one engine. 1PW work!

Ms Dumb Ass ... but, *NOT* Today! westgroup's Avatar
    I have not heard the term One Page Wonders. Would this be what is also called a sales letter?

may even be an online business card . . .

but if it produces, who can argue?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'd call it, "paying for an entire hosting account only to use about 1/1000th of it" But to each his own...

<--*Passed 20GB of disk usage this month*
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

20GB is nothing I do 10 to 20 a day

I had a 1 page wonder that was #1 on yahoo for a couple of months (might not even be listed anymore). That listing is bringing me hopefully residual income for life.

1pw are possible.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mikey The Geek:
    20GB is nothing I do 10 to 20 a day <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Disk space (Not bandwidth)??

How on Earth...is it a forum or something, or are you actually making all those new pages yourself? And how do you keep from running out of disk space at that rate?
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    Disk space (Not bandwidth)?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I thought the same thing when I read that. I think he just misread the original post.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Sounds like spamming to me

This doesn't strictly fall under what I assume to be the definition of One Page Wonders...since none of them have a direct income-producting transactional function.

But I definitely think there's a place for pages like these...each on their own domain. They are closer to the Online Business Card that Herb mentioned.

These all work nicely for me. If I get someone to these pages...they'll find well-organized, thematically-linked resources that can send them toward a number of destinations. And it's traffic to THOSE sites that produces income. Granted...there's not a ton of content on these transitional pages...but they are focused and valuable it allows for link exchanges...so traffic can come from multiple sources...and most importantly, it works. They don't need search engine position to have an impact. Just a good text link on a site...or a popunder, or whatever.

Here are three of mine (links will launch a new browser window):

Free Music Group ::
    Top Sites for Kids
    :: Torn Bread </p>
    <p align="left"><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"><font color="#930000"><b>CHUCK BROWN</b></font>: <a href="http://TornBread.com" target="_blank">Torn Bread Network</a></font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    It could be bandwidth, he has a cranking forum, over 900 people online right now.

So, will someone please explain to me what a 1pw is.

ABW Ambassador
    definition:

A one page wonder is any stand alone page that makes the SE guys like Tim & Matt wish that they had been gang r@ped by a herd of Tajikistan donkeys rather than to have to deal with the complexity of the page. And that page makes $

mackin

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I believe these "1 page wonders" are all the 1-page sites made by people who hoard up all the relevant domain names I try to obtain and place a few related key-word links and a bunch of affiliate links. In some cases the pages of related domains will be identical in nature.

I've run into a bunch when searching for available domain names.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

A one page wonder, when done correctly, makes money and is more expendable than toilet paper.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chrisnrae:
    A one page wonder, when done correctly, makes money and is more expendable than toilet paper. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, now I've got it.
    Thanks

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    I believe these "1 page wonders" are all the 1-page sites made by people who hoard up all the relevant domain names I try to obtain and place a few related key-word links and a bunch of affiliate links. In some cases the pages of related domains will be identical in nature.
    Not all of them... heheheeee!

1-page sites made by people who hoard up all the relevant domain names
    Not necessarily.

In many cases the one-page-wonder is not even implemented as a concept; it just happens to be the most reasonable and effective presentation.

If you want to promote one hot product, or a small line of products which do not justify the development of a larger site, the one-pager is done by practical necessity and it does the job better than a site that requires deeper navigation to get to the "punch line". One less navigation click is one less hoop for the customer to jump through in the path from the initial search to the "process order" button.

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_Chicken
    Not necessarily.

In many cases the one-page-wonder is not even implemented as a concept; it just happens to be the most reasonable and effective presentation.

If you want to promote one hot product, or a small line of products which do not justify the development of a larger site, the one-pager is done by practical necessity and it does the job better than a site that requires deeper navigation to get to the "punch line". One less navigation click is one less hoop for the customer to jump through in the path from the initial search to the "process order" button.
    I agree with Chocolate Chicken 100%. On another note, anyone interested in creating a one page wonder for ppc purposes only I suggest visiting this site:

http://www.landingpagebuilder.com/

Its a free little program that takes up no space and you can create a one page wonder without almost any html experience

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by que007
    ...one page wonder for ppc purposes...

Dagnabbit. I knew it. You guys are looking at my sites...

There's a little green man in my head,
    Donuts.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread