How to change color of partial text in a cell?
    Hi,

I have a list of URLs in a spreadsheet. I'd like to add a code - "[Insert Affiliate ID]" - at the end of each URL. Then I'd like to change the color of this code to red. I can highlight the code to change its color but clicking the next URL for the same edition hyperlinks the URL. Removing the hyperlink turns everything to black. Can someone tell me how to work on this?

Thank you.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    What program are you using?...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Assuming that you're using Microsoft Excel, I don't think you can do this within the spreadsheet, because Excel always displays hyperlinks in a single style (blue/underlined, though I suppose you could change it to some other fixed style).

When I select part of a URL and click to set the color, it automatically resets back to the default URL style (blue/underlined).

What are you trying to accomplish with this? It seems like a very artificial task, and unnecessary (if you're providing the spreadsheet to affiliates, they ought to know to substitute their ID tag for the text you mention).

If you really need to see parts of the URL in a different color, split the URL into multiple columns, so each column can have its own color, and then have a field that combines the columns into a properly-formatted URL -- but then that URL column won't be a hyperlink within the Excel spreadsheet.

Or you could extract the desired code from the URL to another column (for example, to display the substring from the "aid=" or "pid=" (or whatever) to the next "&" symbol or end-of-string). Then you can make this column any color you want.

I have been using Excel for years and I have never come across a cell with two separate colours. When you format that format is for the complete cell and to my best knowledge any value entered in that cell will obey that format in its entirety.

Quote Originally Posted by daiarian View Post
    I have been using Excel for years and I have never come across a cell with two separate colours. When you format that format is for the complete cell and to my best knowledge any value entered in that cell will obey that format in its entirety.
    You can change any text within a cell using Excel. We do it all the time...

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Hi,

I have a list of URLs in a spreadsheet. I'd like to add a code - "[Insert Affiliate ID]" - at the end of each URL. Then I'd like to change the color of this code to red. I can highlight the code to change its color but clicking the next URL for the same edition hyperlinks the URL. Removing the hyperlink turns everything to black. Can someone tell me how to work on this?

Thank you.
    This is for Microsoft Excel 2007 (why I asked what you were using).

Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Excel Options.

The Excel Options button is located in the lower part of the menu that opens after you click the Microsoft Office Button .
    Click Proofing.
    Click AutoCorrect Options.
    Click the AutoFormat As You Type tab.
    Select or clear the check boxes for the options that you want to enable or disable.

If you really need to see parts of the URL in a different color, split the URL into multiple columns, so each column can have its own color, and then have a field that combines the columns into a properly-formatted URL -- but then that URL column won't be a hyperlink within the Excel spreadsheet.
    I'd like to give this a try.

Exactly what I thought so, too.

This is for Microsoft Excel 2007 (why I asked what you were using).

Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Excel Options.

The Excel Options button is located in the lower part of the menu that opens after you click the Microsoft Office Button .
    Click Proofing.
    Click AutoCorrect Options.
    Click the AutoFormat As You Type tab.
    Select or clear the check boxes for the options that you want to enable or disable.
    Convergence, you are a genius!!! Thank you so much. Exactly what I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Convergence, you are a genius!!! Thank you so much. Exactly what I need.
    No genius - info is readily available. However, you are welcome all the same...

Convergence,

Been searching for solutions to my problem and wasn't able to find answers from other forums not even in those that tackle Excel, not until I posted here and you gave me that simple-yet-super answer.

Thank you. You've just saved me from a lifetime task

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    No genius - info is readily available. However, you are welcome all the same...
    I am using Excel 2003 and cannot see this option available, so with 2007 is it possible to print in two different colours within the same cell?

Regards

Two or two hundred colors, yes...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Two or two hundred colors, yes...
    Amazing, thanks

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread