Copyright and WiFi Treminology meanings
    Hello, and thanks in advance for the question. How do I post WiFi Terminology meanings without breaking any copyright laws. Examples are words like this.

Wireless Access Point
    Hotspot
    802.11.g
    DHCP
    SSID
    SSL

and so forth...

Obviously you cannot just copy someone else's dictionary.

You can, however, write your own definitions and post them as such.

Example:

SSL stands for Secure Sockets Layer which are encryption protocols used on the Internet to provide enhanced security transactions.
    Andrew M. Jaffe | [EMAIL="attorneyjaffe@aol.com"]Email Me[/EMAIL]
    Attorney at Law
    330-666-5026 [url]www.netlaws.us[/url]

I made a mistake thinking they were facts and from what I understand facts can't be copywrited? So its how you word the facts?

The terms themselves are industry standard terms, not covered by copyright. Wi-Fi would be an example exception (though its not listed in your original post), its a trademark of the Wi-Fi alliance. There are a few other technical terms that are similar in this way - like kleenex is to tissue paper, some trademarks have become such household terms that they are often used interchangeably when referring to the underlying standard or protocol. A lot of people say wifi when they mean wireless, but pretty much everyone knows what you mean.

If you are providing definitions, and you are paraphrasing or quoting definitions from another source, its standard to reference and attribute the source properly. List who it came from, and link to the source - common courtesy.

Most the terms you listed aren't copyright exactly, and you can use and define them without much concern. You would want to compose the definitions based off the industry groups who developed the standards. Otherwise, if you are getting your definitions from anywhere else, you should reference and attribute the source diligently... Even then, if you are copying someone else's work, they may not consider it fair use depending on how you are using it and how its presented.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

Thanks for the information. I know Wi-Fi is a trademark of WiFiAlliance. How are they enforcing that trademark now? It's used everywhere. A quick search of Wi-Fi signs will show you. Some with and without the dash. Seems it has become so generic that it would be hard to enforce. I did use WiFiComputers in my name.

I agree. In situations like that, I have always asked to be safe. A lot of places don't mind if you just ask nicely and explain your intended usage, and sometimes they'll just ask for attribution or reference in exchange.

Could always just do it if you think it seems like its acceptable practice, being reasonable goes a long way. But making a habit of that is a risky move, we'd step on someone's toes eventually, and no one likes to have their own stuff ripped off. I know you aren't trying to rip anything off, so thats not directed at you.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread