Need QUICK Advice
    Although not actually receiving the original email, my host contacted me today (well, yesterday) and told me I needed to upgrade my dedicated or move to their cloud. I did not get the email, so I bought myself very little precious time.

Their baseline dedicated is nearly double what I'm paying now (which includes cPanel, now and then). I have no clue on cloud hosting. I understand it, but that's about it.

I've looked at HostGator, and alot here use it, but their Dedicateds are just as expensive or more.

They do have the "unlimited, blah, blah..." for about $11/month. But I assume I'm on shared hosting there.

Basically, I use about 1.6 GB of storage (mysql + files). Although mysql + files aren't paying the hosting bill. Bandwidth is not really an issue, except for a new site I just launched, I *expect" traffic.

If anyone has any advice, I'll take it into consideration. But I'm on borrowed time. Been with this host for 6 years, so a change is kind of a culture shock to me (plus I'm already "borrowing" the hosting fee, hate to ask for more).

Basically I need an option, if any, to give me the least amount of pain (assuming I dont stay -- can just upload MySQL files, have access to cPanel, FTP options, a dedicated IP address, etc).

I need to have the least disruption to 13 websites.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Get a reseller server at HostGator and put all of your sites on it. That's what I did and I have never had any problems with it.

http://www.hostgator.com/resellers.shtml
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; July 23rd, 2011 at 06:25 AM.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

told me I needed to upgrade my dedicated or move to their cloud.
    What are they telling you to upgrade for? More memory? I'd just go ahead and do that; they'd just add another memory chip in the same server and you wouldn't have to lift a finger.

If you're putting a load on a dedicated server that makes it necessary to upgrade, moving to a shared hosting account will get you shut down and asked to upgrade to a dedicated server anyway. Hostgator in particular is pretty quick on the trigger when it comes to CPU/Memory Usage loads on accounts that share a server with others.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Sounds like you're on a shared server. If you have a dedicated server, they can't tell you anything - unless they are offering suggestions because of poor performance. If you're on a dedicated, you're not effecting any other accounts.

Depending on your needs (you mentioned 13 databases), number of cron jobs, processes that need to run at the same time, etc, 13 databases can be a strain on even a quad core / 4GB dedicated. Again, all depends on what you need.

Contact your current provider. Ask them specifically why they are requesting/suggesting you upgrade. Ask them for the specs of the server you are on.

Normally 13 dbs won't even make a server twitch. But if you've written your own php scripts, for example, they can be more memory intensive.

So, find out what they have you on, review your needs, and move forward from there...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Take a good look at Hostgator they have never let me down

Hey guys. Sorry, had to unexpectedly run out of town.

Anyway, it's just an older server, I assume they're trying to get every one on current machines or the cloud. I went ahead and got on their cloud, it actually turned out to be half of my current D.S. cost, with pretty much all the same specifications. I don't pull huge loads, so I know that wasn't an issue.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    At least on the cloud you will get the latest hardware and failures get distributed.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread