More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Was at my inlaw's looking at my site. When on my homepage, the "trojan" virus tries to load. prevents. Go off the page. Go back on and the virus again attempts. Used IE browser. I log into server and open index page and again the virus tries to load.

I go home. Open in Netscape - no problem. I try IE and the same virus tries to open. Again, saves my butt.

I add a space to a line in my index page and delete it just so the page is "modified" and then publish with FrontPage and the new index page does not have the virus when I open in IE. So the virus was not on my computer - someone must have hacked into my server and placed it on the page.

Any ideas on this?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Just about a year ago I had a similar paranoid experience, but with a twist......

I went to a family house for a party and when the party was over, we decided to check my sites on their computers.......
    Holy crap, what a find!

The same software that now you're saying that it prevented the Trojan to load on your site, is the same software that was blocking all my links and banners on my sites, when I try it to load my pages on my family computer.

It took me a few days after that party night to finally figured out what the hell was going on and with the help of the information that I found right here on ABW and some more tests, I saw the light of the real problem.

Ever since that time, I made my choice of what I think about that software:

If I was never involved on this affiliate marketing business and I have not ever knew all about what that software do, even to the regular consumers looking to buy something on the net, maybe I too would be happy about them stopping a virus on my computer but, since I have learned more than I can even imagine about that software, there is no way in the word that I would ever promote it to anyone, not even my competition.

I can only wonder how much money I have lost in the last couple of years because that software by default, it's set on to block links and banners by default on millions of computers around the word.

Sal.

FWIW, I have never used any antivirus software permanently on any of my computers as a regular protection. (I know better than that) Yes, I have tried many and some are better than others but, when it comes to the one mentioned up there.... I pass, it's not for me. (I like to choose how I die)

Mr. Sal, I removed the name of the virus scanner. This virus scan program, however, does not block links unless the firewall is used. At least it doesn't block anything on my computer. I took the name off none-the-less since I probably shouldn't promote it.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

CheeseHead,

When I saw that you changed the title, I was about to delete may post, but I noticed that you're smart and fixed (you know what) too and since there is no need to promote that name, I am now more happy with your post, so I won't touch my original reply.

Thank you.

It's not about the name of the virus scanner, it's about the name of that company that I am not too happy with and I guess that many affiliates feel the same way about that company way of blocking our links and banners.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    I just walked in, so I have no idea what company you both were talking about.

But, I bet it was

What, you thought I was going to mention their name, who ever they are, no more free publicity even bad one, for that virus company that all affiliates hate.

Yes, the one that blocks links, even on my neighbors computer.

Any ideas on how that virus program got on my index page?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Any ideas on how that virus program got on my index page? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well shucks it could be anything from a weak password to a security hole on your server. The best thing to do perhaps is contact your web host and have someone check the patch levels of the software.

It *is* possible that something on your PC could be changing the HTML.. I've seen this in the dim and distant past with old versions of Gator for example.. but if your AV software kicked in to protect you, then it's very unlikely.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dynamoo:
    Well shucks it could be anything from a weak password to a security hole on your server. The best thing to do perhaps is contact your web host and have someone check the patch levels of the software.

It *is* possible that something on your PC could be changing the HTML.. I've seen this in the dim and distant past with old versions of Gator for example.. but if your AV software kicked in to protect you, then it's very unlikely. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check with my server. I don't think it came from my computer because when I reloaded from my machine, the new copy was clean. Also, a scan I did shortly after didn't turn up anything.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Should be a RED ALARM alert for your hosting company to investigate so it doesn't happen to others too.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread