More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Will somebody please enlighten me?

How is a blog anything more than a forum? I have known about these things for several years now, and other than a quirky name "blog" I don't see the big difference.

Perhaps the secret to fame is a quirky name .... blog...yahooo...gooogle...

and yes, I know that "blog" is short for weblog.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Affiliate Manager
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by CheeseHead:
    How is a blog anything more than a forum?/QUOTE]

In its simplest form a blog is just a web page. What differentiates blogs from most web pages is that they're updated very frequently, usually daily and many are updated several times a day.

Some blogs also provide features for reader feedback, which is why it can be easy to confuse some of them with forums.

But the main differentiator from other forms of web sites is the rapid and regular updates of the author's content.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> In its simplest form a blog is just a web page. What differentiates blogs from most web pages is that they're updated very frequently, usually daily and many are updated several times a day.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Which is also the case with phpNuke, PostNuke and other cms systems. So blogs are simply the simplest form of a cms system.

But since Google grabbed the technology and created blogger.com and people think they get spidered faster than fast, blogs are the hot thing.

Blogs are actually much different than forums since visitors can only comment on existing topics, if allowed, and can't start new topics.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

From the Bloggies 2005 Awards front page:

http://2005.bloggies.com/

"A weblog is a page with dated entries."

And yes, blogging software is simply CMS software but the blog web pages tend to have the similar structure and elements - the most important being the "dated entries" - like a daily journal entry in a diary. Comments and feedback are usually allowed - ie: slashdot.org. - similar to discussion forums.

I believe the reason Blogs are are becoming so popular is the ease of posting daily. You just open your browser, type a few words into the text box, hit the "Post" button and you are done.

Blogs do tend to be more conversational, more opinionated, more informal. Blog entries tend to be shorter than other web pages. Blogs are just another facet of the Internet world - like regular web pages, email, discussion forums, streaming audio and video, etc. Each type of Internet communication has its various uses and different audiences.

No HTML. No server configuration. No FTP software. No Frontpage or Dreamweaver software to learn. No webmaster. Easy to get spoiled.

It's sometimes so easy to blog that I may spend too much time reading blogs and writing to my own blogs instead of working on my affiliate web sites.

Some Blog webmasters do make money selling advertising through Google Adsense and the high traffic blogs can sell other advertising space. For example, I saw the annoucement that Burst Media just lauched a Blog advertising blitz.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kco:
    From the Bloggies 2005 Awards front page:

http://2005.bloggies.com/

"A weblog is a page with dated entries."
    <span class="ev_code_GREEN">{Like a forum}</span>

Comments and feedback are usually allowed - ie: slashdot.org. - similar to discussion forums.

I believe the reason Blogs are are becoming so popular is the ease of posting daily. You just open your browser, type a few words into the text box, hit the "Post" button and you are done. <span class="ev_code_GREEN">{Like a forum}</span>

Blogs do tend to be more conversational, more opinionated, more informal. Blog entries tend to be shorter than other web pages.

No HTML. No server configuration. No FTP software. No Frontpage or Dreamweaver software to learn. No webmaster. Easy to get spoiled.

Some Blog webmasters do make money selling advertising through Google Adsense and the high traffic blogs can sell other advertising space. <span class="ev_code_GREEN">{Like a forum}</span> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am still not seeing the "functional" difference between a blog and a forum.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CheeseHead:
    I am still not seeing the "functional" difference between a blog and a forum. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A blog is more egocentric, only the blogger can start the threads as I understand it.

You could do this with a forum too I guess, but that's not as exciting as calling it a blog - I agree with your comments on the quirky name.

Forum = all are welcome to particpate equally.

Blog = it's mine I tell, you, MINE!

A forum is more of a community of open blogs ... blogs are more of a individual effort with some outside participation.

Blogs need more of a community feel to them.

BF

ABW Ambassador
    A blog and forum are totally different to me.

Blogs are more personal, forum more community.
    Blogs being online journals or an open diary.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

But since Google grabbed the technology and created blogger.com and people think think they get spidered faster than fast, blogs are the hot thing.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Debbie,

think is an under statement..i have 110% (5 new sites) proof that you get spidered faster with a blog..24-48hrs to be exact. i suggest marketers do a little research. this is nothing new but not used widely..

I think I might see 1 advantage of a blog:

It is acceptable to ramble on by yourself whereas on a forum, the forum is considered to be "dead" if there are not many participants.

I use my blog to market one of my content sites and it works wonderfully!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> think is an under statement..i have 110% (5 new sites) proof that you get spidered faster with a blog..24-48hrs to be exact. i suggest marketers do a little research. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I get sites spidered and listed in 24-48 hours WITHOUT listing them in blogs....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

thats great loxly! i was just stating for the magic of blogs..i can do the same without a blog as well. in the case of the thread i mentioned it

p.s. i wasnt saying have your sites listed in blog.. but have a blog with your affiliate site or content site.

ABW Ambassador
    [/QUOTE]
    I get sites spidered and listed in 24-48 hours WITHOUT listing them in blogs....[/QUOTE]

Me too, and personally, I find blogs very confusing and you have to scroll and scroll.

[QUOTE] I use my blog to market one of my content sites and it works wonderfully! [QUOTE]

Do you have your blog on a content site, or is it seperate? If seperate, how do you "market" your content sites? Talk about them directly, or just lots of noticeable links?

Here's a coincidence:

Started a blog (blogger.com) with a link to a week-old site last night and this morning the home page is indexed on google.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sil:
    have 110% (5 new sites) proof that you get spidered faster with a blog..24-48hrs to be exact. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How does Google know the difference betweeen a blog and any other page? Wouldn't it spider any content that's updated as frequently, or does the spider target blogs driven by specific systems?
    Richard Gaskin

Google runs blogger.com so that helps.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dollardaze:
    Google runs blogger.com so that helps. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course.

But does it distinguish between other blogs and "normal" web pages?
    Richard Gaskin

Some one was trying to explain it to me and I didn't quite understand.

It was something about making an entry in the blog causes the spider to come running to see what you said.

Well, that is what I got out of it, anyway. Maybe, someone can elaborate. I am not too technically savy on this stuff.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I think the benefit is if your blogging software pings one of the major blog portals (technorati, weblogs, etc), which I assume are heavily spidered, then there's a better chance of the spiders flowing into your site and at least nibbling.

Mind you, I get sod all traffic so I may not be the best to respond to this

ABW Ambassador
    It might have something to do with what MarkyMark said after somebody wrote a crazy article for WebProNews about beating the 'sandbox' and he used a blog he started to try to back that up. Google owns http://www.blogger.com/start So when you sign up and start your own blog, you get whatever.blogspot.com So it's not a new site so much, it's a new subdomain on an already established site owned by Google. So i would imagine Google would be very spider/index friendly on sites they own

As a fairly recent entry to the blogger.com system, I can shed some light on part of this discussion.

When you set up your first blog on blogger yor have several options. Under the settings tab you can elect to have a ping sent to weblogs.com every time you publish a new post.

A ping is just a signal to their server that your content has been updated. There are a lot of other weblog directories that subscribe to the weblogs.com service, so your update will be noted in those systems too.

Just as with any other webpage, a blog needs as many inbound links as can be had. The tremendous amount of interest generated about blogs has led to an increase in the number of places that will accept a link back for your blog.

Take a look at the right column below the Adsense stuff:
    http://diet-and-fitness.blogspot.com/

(caution...if you copy this blog you will be disappointed it your expected results)

Each of the sites shown operate a bogs directory and an entry there results in an inbound link. They also bring in interested traffic (if you have an interesting sounding blog).

As you can see (if you did foolisly go to my blog) not all blogs are just a few paragraphs of words in reverse chronological order. The settings of your blog offer you the option of showing one or more posts per page. And options on the archival scheme too.

I experimented with the marketing possibilites of a blog a couple of years ago. There *are* a lot of possibilities. My blog is only one approach. If you search around the blog world you'll see many of the diffenent ways to market products, services, and so on.

Phillyburbs has a blog on their site. I haven't visited it in a while but, as I remember, Karl was using the blog to keep visitors up to date on specials, news, new offers, etc.

Almost forgot...on blogger you have the option of editing the html produced by the wysiwyg interface. I regularly change the way the html is written so that the visual is what I want.

Blogger may not be the best, but it is free and is very effective.

Frank
    "Just the facts, Ma'am." Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread