Is this possible?

I know it's been discussed, but I couldn't find a definite "yes" or "no" answer.

Thanks,
    Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

I've been wondering the same thing. I looked at the coding, but couldn't figure out where to put the SID. Does anybody know if it is possible to do this? If so, could you post an example.

---
    Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

ABW Ambassador
    Pardon my ignorance, but what would this enable you to do?

Supras | Celicas

Celicaphile wrote:
    quote:
    Pardon my ignorance, but what would this enable you to do?

If you have more than one search term to utilize, and therefore have multiple editor kits running, it allows you to see which search terms are producing sales, and which ones are not.

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

ABW Ambassador
    oh! damn, now I'm interested...

Supras | Celicas

I think it would be very helpful, but I haven't been able to make it work properly. I'm going to keep trying though.

Hopefully, someone here more adept at coding than I am will be able to figure it out.

Andy

I can try something today.

Did you try just adding &SID=whatever to the end of the qksrv link string?

Are your transactions showing an "SID not passed" or something like that? That would mean that the link doesn't support SID tracking, as I understand it.

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

Webmistress,

It seems I've tried everything. If I remember correctly, adding the "SID=" to the end of the link string did something at eBay, so the search results weren't correct.

I'll have to play with it more. I think this would be a very helpful thing for many of us.

Andy

Hey Andy,

I just hand added an &SID=whatever to the end of the string produced by the eBay editor kit and today there are transactions with the SID in them, no problem. I have ad blocking software, so I have to refresh the eBay page since the URL starts with adplex/ads or something else that triggers the software. A refresh and I see the page no problem. I just wish eBay wasn't coding for what looks like a higher screen res than 800x600 .

I only have a couple of pages where I used PHP to alter the SID, so I can't help you with coding there.

HTH.

- - - - -

Webmistress,

Thanks! I'll give that a try. I've been concentrating on putting the SID further towards the beginning of the text string, which is more normal for its use, instead of at the end.

I think what I was doing was interrupting the eBay coding.

I appreciate the help!

Thanks again,
    Andy

quote:
    Originally posted by webmistress:
    I just wish eBay wasn't coding for what looks like a higher screen res than 800x600

There are width and height settings in the string.

Are you Crazy?

Okay, here's an ebay Editor Kit code. I'm wondering near the end where it says "siteid=0" if we can change that 0 to our SID?

<script language="javascript" src="http://lapi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?EKServer&ai=o%7Ftctusp%7D%7D%7E%7E%7F&prvd=1&track=999999&srchdesc=y&si=&catid=9999&minprice=&maxprice=&endtime=y&numbid=y&width=600&height=0&num=25&popup=y&query=Any%20Product&hdrcolor=FFFFCC&bdrcolor=FFCC00&fs=1&fntcolor=000000&siteid=0&sortby=endtime&sortdir=asc"></script>

And yes, you can change the size of the results by changing the values of "width=600 and height=0".

---

I'm pretty sure there is no SID= option with the editor kit since the qksrv links are generated by eBay and not CJ. eBay would have to add a new option and add SID= to their script link. Then they would have to extract the sid and use it on all the qksrv links it generates.

Placing the "&SID=" (no quotes) at the very end of the link seems to be working. It is tracking click throughs, but I haven't had any purchases on any of the Editor Kit links that I've added the SID to.

It will be interesting to see if they pass the SID code, but it seems to be working so far for Webmistress.

Andy

quote:
    There are width and height settings in the string.
    ~CrazyGuy

I owe ya one!!! Thanks! Woo hoo! Higher conversions here we come!

And ipohopper, it does work. I have transactions with the SID passed correctly.

- - - - -

That's wierd. If you go to the editor Kit page, manually add a &SID= to the end of the javascript link, and hit refresh the SID doesn't seem to pass down. If I move my cursor over the preview qksrv links generated there is no &SID=

I'm not adding it on the ebay editor kit page. After producing the code with the ebay link maker, pasting into my HTML editor, I just type in &SID=whatever_I_want. Frankly, that's what I do with all CJ links, not being much of a PHP-er yet. Do you add your SID in the cj advanced options in the URL box? I guess I usually just add it afterwards in my HTML editor.

Well, that's not totally true. When producing pages with Cold Fusion and a datafeed I use a regular expression replacement to add an SID that is usually keyed to the product name or page. This is especially important now that the product links have no name. Still doesn't help with knowing what link is viewed or clicked, but gives me an idea of what is actually *selling*.

Oh, and of course, if there is no redirect qksrv.net/click-AID-PID?URL=blah.com then right after qksrv.net/click-AID-PID it's immediately qksrv.net/click-AID-PID?SID, not &SID.

HTH

- - - - -

I think part of the problem I was having was the use of "?" and "&" in the link. The regular and advanced type links generated by CJ usually have the SID added at the end after placing a "?" in the link. The browser quits reading the link after the question mark, so everything after that is usually for the benefit of the server.

The eBay Editor Kit needs the "&" before the SID since it's coded differently. I added the SID to my eBay Editor Kit links in the HTML coding of my page, not at eBay, and it is working. Thanks again, Webmistress!

Andy

Think of the difference between "?" and "&" in a web address as:

? - A separator between location information and information to be passed to a script. "We're done telling you where to go, now here starts some additional tidbits of information we're passing along."

& - A separator between individual parameters and/or variable pairs. "Here's this question and answer, and now here's *this* question and answer, oh, and have that question and answer too."

Example: http://www.fubar.com/cgi-bin/fubar.c...ion=1&Save=yes

We are going to domain "http://www.fubar.com", to directory "cgi-bin" and running the script "fubar.cgi". We are giving the following information to the script: When the script runs, the variable "Session" should start with the value "1", and the variable "Save" should start with the value "yes".

(from a technical standpoint I'm oversimplifying, but I wanted to keep it low-level...)

HTH.

-Dan

Dan,

Thanks! That does help. I basically knew that, but sometimes I try to make things more difficult than they are.

After all, why would I not want to spend a couple of hours getting totally frustrated at something so simple?

Keeps the blood pressure from getting too low, if you know what I mean.

Thanks,
    Andy

Has anyone else had any luck using the SID with the eBay Editor Kit? I'm not seeing any SIDs being passed with bids.

It doesn't say anything on the transaction report, just "NA".

Thanks,
    Andy

I added "&SID=whateverIwant" at the end, but I'm still seeing NA too.

It would be nice if somebody from CJ or Ebay could give us a clue about this. Are we wasting our time, or is there a way to do it?

---

You cannot just add the SID to the eBay javascript url. You would have to manipulate the generated javascript and add the SID to all the item listings. Unless you are using scripting it's not worth it and defeats the purpose of a dynamic feed.

Thanks, ipohopper. It would figure that we will have no way to track which pages are producing clicks and sales for us.

I mean, we can't even tell which Product Links at CJ are performing anymore.

Well, I'll leave the "SID=" reference at the end of the javascript just in case someone figures out how to make it work at some point, or maybe eBay will understand the need to track better. After all, if it performs better for us, it will increase their sales too.

Thanks for the info,
    Andy

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread