Affiliate marketing is being recognized as a cost-effective way for online and bricks and mortar retailers to advertise and sell products.

http://www.internetretailer.com/article.asp?id=6701

Google revamps their PPC campaign, restricting the number of URL's pointing to the same location.

Microsoft releases an antispyware that kills BHO's and parasites.

Congress is considering bills to punish spammers, while California passes an anti-spam legislation.

Anyone see a trend developing here?

I'm working from home, caring for a disabled son and trying to make a living online. Despite all the hijackers, BHO's, and apathy that affiliate marketers have to deal with, I kept building websites, hoping that one day the "powers-that-be" would wake up and protect folks like us.

I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel...

Later,
    Rick K.
    "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't...You're right!" -Henry Ford-

Internet Cowboy
    Yes.
    There is indeed a trend developing. I was beginning to think I had missed the golden days of affiliate marketings, but perhaps we have have not seen them yet!!!

Concerning the PPC to Merchant affiliates.
    In an article somewhere this week some 'expert' used the wording 'for them its devastating' pointing the aggregator companies. Together with the fabulous tool Microsoft came up with, it will be a hard year for LS & CJ.
    But iam a happy Camper
    Pete
    =====

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Rick, I hear you.

> I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel

Since I was first introduced to affiliate marketing I knew someday this is what I would be doing full time and overtime.

I also knew that MS would never let us down. MS left the wholes open and now they are closing it.

I've set it in a few threads, from just talking to one or two friends that have local retail stores and want to learn how to get started, there are still thousands and thousands of businesses waiting for your help, "AM is just starting".

crossing my fingers . . .

I think it's about time some of these protections kicked in, and I hope they do away with the BHO parasites for once and for all! These things take advantage of consumers by downloading without permission, and cheat honest webmasters from income from their sites by overwriting our cookies.

I hope they are all put out of business, and I hope the greedy SOB's who invested millions in them all take a bath in their losses.

And I hope the "trusted third party" networks who've enabled this to happen all along get slapped for it as well by the Feds.

Andy

Don't forget that 180 joined COAST

ABW Ambassador
    Everything is going to be just fine in the future. All this is still pretty much new (around 10 years old - affiliate marketing) so there are always bound to be problems at the start. The whole problem from the start with adware is that the majority of their target, consumers and their computers, don't like them, don't want them, try to get rid of them, don't know how they got them etc. And with so much of it out there and with well over 90% of computers infected with this crap, they've just sped up their own demise and more and more are finding out about it and working at it as we speak. With the MS tool coming out, they've recognized what the real problems are, not our cookies like Adware and Spybot like to say, we need to stop pushing that, push the MS thing. And just keep in mind that we have the Echo Boomer generation coming up, the first really tech savvy generation, brought up with computers/internet in the classroom and at home. People want their computers like mine, clean. It'll eventually get there because people want it and it's needed. It's going to be just fine

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The FEDS all have one thing in common when they impose laws to protect consumers/voters from the evils of the Adwhore industry. THEY FOLLOW THE MONEY TRAIL!

The money trail for the Do-Not-Call Law led to the IAB/DMA with the info peddlers tied directly into the affiliate industry.

The money trail, popping arrests and law suits for e-mail spammers under the CAN-SPAM Act is again tied into the affiliate sewer dwellers.

Now all attention is on Spyware/Adware infestation tricksters and system corrupting hijackers. The money trail will lead again to the Adwhore industry funneling funds to telemarketers, e-mail spammers, anonamous terrorist organizations, phoney charity fronts, identity theft perps and other cyber con-men. The networks will get caught up in the money trail as the FENCING OPERATION for all the above consumer abusing tricksters.

Stay out of it affiliates -merchants -AM's as no longer can the media ignor the outcries for help. Build legit pages and promise yourself every link goes to someone who protects the comsumers privacy and pocketbook.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    I'm not quite so sure about all of this. Most of the parasites are now bundling their crap with other popular free software, since it looks like the drive-by loophole is being closed. And once this crap gets on your computer, it doesn't matter which browser you use, it will still work, since it is a program on your computer. I haven't really tested if the Microsoft program will stop the Zango popups once you have it on your computer, guess that is something I will have to test. But I know their popups will still work otherwise, even with a popup blocker, because I have tested this already.

ABW Ambassador
    Yep, I just tested Zango for this. I have the Microsoft Antispyware program on my computer, have the Realtime Protection enabled. I downloaded Zango to test it, I did get an alert from the MicrosoftAntispyware program that Zango was trying to install, and asked me if I wanted to install it. I proceeded with the install. I then went to a site that I know gets popups from Zango, and despite having MicrosoftAntispyware or popup blockers on my computer, I still got their popup. I get it on both IE and Firefox, so once you have this on your computer it seems nothing will stop it. Now to remove Zango again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> And just keep in mind that we have the Echo Boomer generation coming up, the first really tech savvy generation, brought up with computers/internet in the classroom and at home <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just wait 10 years, stuff will be so different.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread