Unhappy Join our program but you have to hire a progammer? Really?
    Hi All,

Just wondering if this is typical or atypical....

A merchant contacted me to join their in-house affiliate program. Their rep spent time with me on the phone showing me two sites and how they were incorporating the affiliate's advertising into their sites. Two of the techniques are pretty much a simple matter of adding a few lines of code. The other one uses API calls.

Oh, says my new best friend, that one is perfect for you site. I agree that the third option would probably be the best match for my site. We talk about it some more and she offers to send me their API documentation. Lots of generalities, not a great deal of detail. Gee, I ask, where's the code to start with? I get that I might want to tweak it but where's the base source code or at least some examples?

Lo and behold, I would be expected to do all of the programming myself or hire someone to do it for me.

So, implementing this great advertising option that they showed me working on two other sites would require me to expend time and money essentially reinventing the wheel.

Is this a common thing? Merchants expecting affiliates to create API calls from scratch without even providing a starting point? I could understand if the presentation was something that would be unique to my site. But the rep specifically took me to two sites to show that specific implementation and how it would work on my site.

After I spend years building a successful site, they approach me essentially wanting make money off of my site in exchange for a portion of the sale and provide absolutely nothing to make it happen? Is this really how this affiliate/API stuff goes?

Michele

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    I would be suspect of any merchant/AM/OPM that freely shares another affiliate's website with anyone...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

3. Thanks From:

The rep seems a bit green or new - she seemed unsure of a number of things and had to ask her manager to confirm that they don't provide any code.

As to showing me the other sites, I was surprised that she did that too. While I like the approach of seeing their program in action, I do see the danger in that for the other site owner. They are competing in the same niche that I am even if they offer a slightly different offering. It seemed a strange thing to do.

My gut keeps telling me that while it is a compliment for a bigger company to want to work with me that this isn't the right opportunity. Your response only seems to further compel me to listen to that little voice in my head telling me to let this one go.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    They create the API and you integrate it into your site not the other way around. That's ass backwards! They are recruiting you because of your site and giving you a lame offer. Post the merchant here sans URL so others can avoid this trap.

If this is a CPA network they turn and burn people pretty quickly, are only interested in the quick buck!

Before I identify them, I want to make sure I'm understanding this API stuff correctly. It seems like they provide access to their data but it sounds like I would have to code all of the queries to that data to show the ad they showed me.

I would not want anyone accessing the code of my site, so I expected to put the code on my own site. I just always thought it would be a matter of giving me a baseline code that I could customize or tweak, not here's some information on how to access our data so you can write your own queries.

I did ask specifically about them in another thread here and only one person had second-hand information on them (it wasn't favorable).

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Take a look at the tools offered by AvantLink as they have api and good help systems. It will give you an idea on what it looks like from a tech perspective.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread