OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Do you need a dot com when you have a mobile app?
    Not being a domainer and only owning a few I have a hard time understanding why someone would pay $10,000 for a domain. Here is an article that shows it can sometimes work. And how corporations are working around the .com limits. What about the rise of mobile apps?

Does Paying Top Dollar For Domains Still Make Sense In The Age Of Apps?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    $10,000-$50,000 for a domain is peanuts - even in this economy. Doubtful there are many quality, brandable, and generic SINGLE word .com's available in that price range.

Even with apps abound, if you don't protect your brand by buying the .com - someone else is going to buy it and develop it. Your app brand, without the .com, could easily send free traffic to the domain owner by people looking for the app.

Anymore, startup costs and procedures for a business is more than choosing a company name and ordering business cards. Now the cost and procedures has increased to include a .com, other domain extensions, app / toolbar development, website, and any other method to grab the eyes of your target consumers.

$50K? Chump change...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

The best example which could fit in this discussion is Godaddy's recent move, they acquired the domain name nodaddy.com, which was the address of their biggest critic....So just imagine how much money GD had paid to that person to acquire a simple catchy domain name, which may frequently trash their reputation in the market.

@Chuck - people have paid millions of dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Not being a domainer and only owning a few I have a hard time understanding why someone would pay $10,000 for a domain.
    @Chuck - I'm not a domainer. We have 7 .com domain names, at this time. The first one I registered has a word, related to computers + a number. We will not sell it for less than USD$10K (less commission).

That word, without a number, sold for USD$5 million, in 1999.

I believe many domain names have sold, for more than one million dollars.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I guess if a company feels that a specific word is worth that much. Seems hard to justify unless it is something already well ranked or a household word.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread