OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Companies are doing less SEO and more Paid Search
    Looks like more companies are getting into SEO and it took them long enough! Many are outsourcing more which is good news for agencies. IMHO affiliates can many times do a better job on niche terms and out rank the merchant. In the last year with lower revenue and more company cut backs I have had to defend why the merchant should have an affiliate program. The answer on SEO was easy, I showed them how affiliates had added 100 top listings to their Google SERPs for their trademark. This effectively blocks out competitors listings.

Affiliates are an effective part of a merchant's overall paid search strategy especially for small to mid-sized companies. By teaming with affiliates you can lower your budget and increase sales. Bid costs can go up but blocking out competitors allows your affiliates to bring in sales that would have been lost. You also can cap the cost-per-sale as affiliates are paid on performance.

More details and results of a survey in this article: Companies are spending more on search, and outsourcing it more, too

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Arrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    I showed them how affiliates had added 100 top listings to their Google SERPs for their trademark. This effectively blocks out competitors listings.
    Chuck I really don't agree, this will dilute the Mark and open the door for infringement by unauthorized users.

Try stopping someone when they claim that you acquiesced its use to others.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Guess I will have to see what you are talking about on your end. I was referring to store pages from affiliates that ranked for the trademark.

Seems like a valid concern the merchant should be familiar with, and address on their end.

From the affiliate program side of operations, its good if affiliates can use the trademarks within reasonable terms to promote their products. (there have been threads here where affiliates can't mention the product name they want to promote, due to ridiculous trademark terms in the program)

From the business side of operations, qualified legal counsel might have the opinion that allowing specific usage of the trademarks erodes their business right to challenge unauthorized usage of the trademarks.

What petswarehouse was saying: Part of retaining the right to a trademark involves an element of time along with defense of the mark. If someone claims you have allowed misuse of your trademark to go on for extended periods of time, you may lose your claim to it in court, then not have any legal means to stop people from using it in unauthorized ways.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

Specifically for paid search if you have 10 spots listed in AdWords and 9 are competitors its better to allow several trusted affiliates to co-bid than to lose those opportunities. Plus you get more branding.

On the other end I am asked regularly by potential and existing merchants how they can leverage affiliates for SEO. Affiliate store pages are highly relevant and rank high for the trademark. If you disallow the trademark there you eliminate the SERPs.

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Perhaps the the question goes to what the company feels their TM is worth and worth protecting?
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread