2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Pay per performance marketing has now entered phase II. No longer should the merchant emphasis be on generating raw traffic. If a site is not setup to induce product or sales of services from search engine traffic closing one out of every 100 visitors ..then it isn't ready for an affiliate program. Affiliates sole responsibilies are to pre-sell/pre-condition shoppers and send them to affiliate friendly landing pages.

First time visitors to all sites take time to even digest the simple site's navagation structure. Site searches are a waste of time if the results require product #s -specific keywords -of familiarity with brands. Banner and text links HAVE to land on closing pages or they don't convert....period.

I personally am amazed by most affiliate program managers lack of knowledge of the affiliate networks merchant tools and interface. They should know this like the back of their hand and use it to generate text -banner and individual product links thta SELL not brand. The success of your program requires you cut checks to affiliates. No affiliate should really showcase a merchant until they see the first check or EPC type reports on their program's ability to generate sales.

If you want traffic ..pay for it at OverTure or Findwhat by keyword or submit to Yahoo and the SE's and wait/pray for a ranked listing. Jump starting a new site with an affiliate sales program is a advertising con-job if the site can't generate sales. You can't fool the savvy web shopper with retail pricing ..nor webmaster with empty promises of riches.

I hear ya... the program I started is the kind I was looking for to join myself, I hate the con-artists.

ABW Ambassador
    Ecom,

Preaching to the choir baby. Once again right on the money.

Mike

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Wonder what the fallout rate will be for new merchants at CJ after their "flying blind" 90 day trial period. Padding that EPC rate should be their #1 priority by carefully designing baners -text links with pre-sell enticements and landing pages that convert. If more of them posted some preliminary conversion ratios at the merchant profile page rather than the normal CJ text or we're the greatest revenue program on the NET speels they could get more active affiliates...sooner!!

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread