Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Eastwood Company is proud to announce our affiliate program to the members of ABestWeb.com. The Eastwood Company has been in business for more than 25 years selling unique automotive restoration tools and supplies. We have over 10,000 affiliates that are linking to www.eastwoodcompany.com to make a monthly commission check.

You can link to our site through various sizes of banners and text links, whichever works best for your site and customers. The best part is that you can change your banner or text link at anytime. You can measure your traffic, click thru’s and sales and when you feel the “link” has lost its punch, just replace it with a new one.

The Eastwood Company allows you to earn liberal commissions, based on industry averages, in relation to the Sales you generate each month. Commissions are paid monthly. See the chart below.

2003 Schedule of Sales and Commission Monthly Sales Level Commission
    up to $100 6%
    up to $300 7%
    up to $750 8%
    up to $1,500 9%
    up to $2,500 10%
    up to $5,000 11%
    above $5,001 12%

If you have an automotive audience, test some traffic on our affiliate program today. We can help you convert your traffic to more dollars! It’s worth a small traffic test, right!?

Lastly, we are here to support you and help you grow your business. We are available to help you with any problems with links, sites, payments, or any other questions you might have.

Thanks for taking the time to read this announcement. We look forward to working with you. Sign-up today at: https://signup.cj.com/signup/branded...chantid=222426

Or, for more information, go to:

http://www.eastwoodco.com/aspfiles/Affiliates.asp

Sincerely,

Robin Neil Haberle
    Rhaberle@eastwoodco.com
    610-323-2200, extension 2206
    www.eastwoodcompany.com

Could you explain why you have cut your commission rate from 12% to 6%? This could indicate that your program is slipping in spite of having 10,000 affiliates. Or is it that affiliates are bringing in enough income that you feel you don't need to pay as much for advertising? 7 day cookie does not bode well either.

Gene
    TCS

ABW Ambassador
    I was going to ask about this as well, but TCS beat me to it...please don't give us the tired excuse of "our commission/cookie duration is still higher than so & so"...

Supras | Celicas

Yes, inquiring minds want to know why the big announcement when you've cut your commission in half?

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

ABW Ambassador
    Robin, although I'm happy to see you in attendance at ABW, I'm afraid I need to open your eyes to a rather large number of issues that do not work with your system at Eastwood. I'll start with correspondence made a few months ago:
    quote:
    Subject: Advanced Product Linking
    Date: 2002-11-07 08:16:36.0

Brian:

Thanks for your e-mail.

We are aware of the problem. and, we are looking into a solution. I can''t give you an ETA on that because the link was developed before the present WebMaster was here (therrefor requires research on her part).

In the meantime, might I suggest utilizing one of the numerours text links we posted back in August. CTRs and CRs have been very promising for them thus far.

Regards;

Robin Neil Haberle
    Internet Marketer
    The Eastwood Company

--- Original Message Separator ---
    Although your allowing advanced product linking, the destinations are not being allowed at your site.

They do not work. Perhaps you can see from one of the examples I''''ve tried to do IF you can locate the problem.

Thanks

Brian Cornwell
    aka Cyclone@CyclonesFunnel.com

This example: Abrasive Blasting results in the following message at Eastwood:
    The file could not be opened!
    File: F:\wwwroot_live_ew_snapshotdesign\profiles\abr_blast_new.htm
    I just have to say that nothing has been done to fix anything, neither at CJ, nor at Eastwood. Excuse me but, when you state in the letter above to use the "numerours text links" I need to ask you if you've even been inside CJ to look at your suggestions:
    quote:
    Link #1 Eastwood - For All Your Auto Restoration Needs
    Link #2 Eastwood - The Auto Restoration Tools and Supplies Authority - FREE Shipping on All Orders $100 or More!
    Link #3 Eastwood - The Auto Restoration Enthusiast's Best Friend
    Link #4 Eastwood Auto Restoration Tools and Supplies - Make it Better than New!
    Link #5 Eastwood - Auto Restorers Wanted!
    Link #6 Eastwood - Auto Restorers Wanted! - FREE Shipping on All Orders $100 or More!
    Link #7 Eastwood - The Cool Auto Tool Company
    Link #8 Eastwood - Got Auto Tools?

Are we beginning to see the pattern yet? I'll stop at the 8 mentioned here because I could fill the whole page with the over-redundency of those links. Also, I have to point out a few more things but I'll start a new reply for that......

[This message was edited by Cyclone on January 02, 2003 at 06:48 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    ......I'm back Robin . . . and my suggestion for the previous thread is to make text links that will go to each individual category/department because those you've offered aren't acceptable, nor practical.

You also may want to remove the advanced linking capability because nothing arrives anywhere within the Eastwood site.
    HINT: Make text links to all the categories/departments

quote:
    If you have an automotive audience, test some traffic on our affiliate program today. We can help you convert your traffic to more dollars! It’s worth a small traffic test, right!?

First, the easy one . . . there is only one product listed at CJ and it doesn't work either.

Honestly, I had intentions of helping out here Robin. Maybe I'll wait for your return to address these previous postings before I do more. Besides . . . I'm not to happy with the drop in the commissions either, but the main point I'm trying to make is that in order for you to convert my visitors at your site, I must first have working links to deliver them.

Brian
    aka Cyclone @ CyclonesFunnel.com

Well said, Brian!

I notified them of the broken product link for Hot Coat last summer, but never heard anything back from them, nor did they ever fix it, so I pulled it from my site.

I think the reason advanced product links don't work is due to the way the Eastwood site is framed, I attempted to customize landing pages for several hours, but couldn't make it work.

It's time to rethink your commission structure, Robin, and way past time for new, relevant text links. Having links to each department on your site would be a good start.

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

Your recent announcement to drop your commission rate has given me enough reason to not develop additional pages for your products.

I joined your program based on that rate, changing it makes me look at your competitors, whom convert better.

I would like to know why this was done, and how you plan to compete against the other automotive sites.

John

Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.

www.teampb.com

I agree with Brian/Cyclone!

Links to Categories within the Eastwood site are just what I've been hoping for, too.

Google's latest dance has finally included my first bunch of Eastwood pages, so I'll see how they convert.

Right now I'm sending everyone to your home page with instructions about how to click on your left-side menu to get to the products I've described.

I would *very much* prefer to not depend on my viewers having to remember navigation info, as well as the product they want, when they click through to your site.

-- Mike

ABW Ambassador
    Hey guys . . . I have to give my personal recommendation to DROP Eastwood from any of your endeavors. Neither the webmaster, nor the AM (Robin), have ANY intention of helping anyone but themselves to convert. Perhaps some of you remember a few months back when they sent out a distressing letter to affiliates to stop promoting them, especially their Eastwood name, in PPCs or anywhere else for that matter. BUT, more importantly, they said this after EVERYONE had already spend their money at the PPCs. The thousands of affiliates had their links everywhere, but now, with the updated Terms and Conditions of the Eastwood program, NOBODY would have been PAID for the marketing efforts they had just done. In other words . . . I believe Eastwood is overly-underhanding ALL affiliates in every way possible.

THEY got the traffic but the affiliates got SQUAT~!
    RUN them outta town on a rail~!

Brian

ABW Ambassador
    Glad to see Eastwood at ABW. Sorry to see you getting beat up on your first post. I hope Eastwood sticks around.

As for dropping the commission. I think it is better for merchants to adjust their rates with the commission percentage than by finding clever ways to divert commissions.

Halving the commission rate will drop your EPC from the $9 region to the $4 region...which will probably have a very negative affect sales. A 50% drop will make many people feel like they were caught in a bait and switch.

However, these are your decisions to make. Affiliates will adjust their strategies accordingly. I think most ABWers are happy to see you here, even if you did just make a very unpopular decision. Many affiliates will drop you in response to the rate cut. That is simply the natural consequence of a rate cut...laws of economics, you know.

I hope you stick around, and aren't too put off by the complaints. This board tends to have a paranah mantality.

Personally, I would like to hear your position on parasites. Are you in a the pockets of eBates, Whenu, Gator ... and what positive things you hope to do for the affiliate community in the up coming year?

boom!

It appears Robin went on vacation this week or something. Not good timing to begin a post and then not respond, especially with so many negatives.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

Every day is a chance to learn something new and a opportunity to teach someone else.

ABW Ambassador
    I think he chose a bad time for a first post. I hope we do not chase the guy away. We all have to make unpopular decisions. Often we make plain bad decisions. I hope the AM doesn't write off the forum.

boom!

I bet he registered, made the post, and promptly forgot the site exists. Many content/forum sites experience this. I know mine does.

ABW Ambassador
    I think I called it in my email to to them...just another drive-by...I haven't received a reply to my email yet. Is it true the AM went on vacation, or are we just hoping?

Supras | Celicas

ABW Ambassador
    I've been planning to remove Eastwood from my site due to extremely low conversions. I think I saw one sale in the last year on a high traffic site. It's beyond me how they pump up the CJ Stats reports, but I know they don't convert well for my highly targeted automotive parts and accessories traffic.

So thanks for the reminder.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    I hope you stick around, and aren't too put off by the complaints. This board tends to have a paranah mantality.
    yintercept . . . I, an quite a few others have had many dealings with Eastwood to NO avail over a long period of time. I posted facts, NOT paranoia~! Robin is just pulling his same ol' crapola . . . doing nothing about anything; i.e.: the links are either SEVERELY lame or, better put, simply do not work~~~~~~~~~~period.
    Robin's not showing again and again is proof of a non-committed program coordinator.

Brian

ABW Ambassador
    Over 2000 highly targeted clicks to Eastwood left me with about $18 in revenue for an EPC of $.75, about 1/10 what I get by sending that traffic elsewhere. And they have the nerve to cut the commissions in half now. What a joke!!!

ZAPPPPP ... they are now history on my site.

Why does CJ allow scumbags like this into their network to sucker their hard working publishers.

Sorry, I broke my New Year's Resolution to not be rude but I just couldn't help myself when I saw the above post from Eastwood.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Hmmmm.

644,117 Impressions

33,074 clicks

14 sales

$131.83 revenue

Targeted automotive websites.

YOU SUCK! SEEYA!

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Robin's not showing again and again is proof of a non-committed program coordinator.

I agree, a merchant needs to prove themselves with action, and not just words. I also think it more likely that the company is simply in the "fooled you twice...shame on you mode."

If Unclerobs is serious about the program. I would welcome his coming on board and proving the program. This post shows that ABW is an appreciative, but tough audience.

UncleRobs better have substance if he comes back. Still, I would welcome him if he has more than hollow words to offer.

The gauntlet is down.

boom!

ABW Ambassador
    Holy Cow! I signed up with them to promote a couple of tools useful for car audio. After reading about the "Landing Page/Frames" mess, I might reconsider using Eastwood.

FWIW, Ebates offers an 8% discount for Eastwood Tools.

Hmmm....

Interestingly enough, I'd been signed up with them for awhile but didn't put up any pages for them until mid-December.

Got their pages indexed by Google with the recent update, and have sent them about 100 or so clicks over the last 3-4 days, and just got a sale worth $7 or so in commission.

Maybe random luck, or ?? I'll be watching to see how the conversion rate goes after I've sent them 1000 clicks or so.

-- Mike

ABW Ambassador
    $7 for 100 clicks is in line with the company's reported EPC of $6.02. As was pointed out on the board. They are dropping the base commission from 12% to 6% on 1/7/03. You would have received a $3.50 commission with the new structure. They do have a tiered program. My guess is that eBates, Gator, and Whenu are the only ones that make it to the upper tiers.

boom!

hmm, 7 clicks in 4000 impressions? Bye bye Eastwood.

ABW Ambassador
    Celicaphile was right. Unclerob at Eastwood did a drive-by. Most forums edit or remove the drive-bys so as to not give the drop-and-run poster the benefit of anyone's attention.

How 'bout it Haiko or moderators ... maybe a little editing is in order?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast