[ 03-09-2002: Message edited by: Heyder ]

ABW Ambassador
    increasing your min. bids from 1 cent to 3 cents isnt the answer, hint, hint. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

volume. that's what you need. searchers using your search service. Have you made a web search feature for webmasters to copy and paste to their sites? Have you made a press release? How about a drawing for people who visit your site and perform searches? the more searches they do the more entries they can make... not clicks, but real searches. This would incentivise the searches not the clicks. How about local promotion from where you live? I know this doesnt get you exposure on the entire WWW, but it will get you some local people using your search service. Radio talk shows, newspaper releases, classifieds in the local paper. just some ideas...

Good luck.

ALL,

Need some feed back here ... We have 700 Members and countless affiliates and / partners ...

Why can't we do a co-opetition thing ...

We pay PPC SEs and build them with cash and links ... why can't we build SearchAny? as a "trusted" SE? ... why can't we help ourselves and members? ... Heyder has offered generous signup commissions and per click deals (still restucturing them ... I know) but why In the world are we advertising 7 search ... xyz or abc? where we waste money?

Let this start the co-opetition deals ... cohesively .... we all have seen what we can do together (and will continue to!).

"Try to put your finger through the wall ... never happen .. but together five of us make a fist ... easier and the more we have, even easier it is to break that wall (Whatever wall stands between us and what we want)."

Haiko
    PS. This is my post ... I did not ask Heyder for permission

[ Grammar ]

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: Haiko ]

Heyder, what kind of help would you need, what can we do?

I don't really understand your end of the biz but could you list your site as a shoppers search engine? Then you might give free listings, so you will have lots of sites to choose from? Give the paid listings top billing?

Just a thought, let us know what you need!!

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    A 3ยข per click minimum would chase away a lot of advertisers, and with fewer advertisers you'd undermine the auction effect that drives busy terms to higher prices. Be careful that what you save at one end doesn't get lost at the other.

The UK PPC search engine eSpotting had a minimum bid in place before GoTo did. I stopped advertising there when they did that.

Bucky is totally wrong about 3 cents chasing away advertisers.

Advertiers will pay if the traffic warrants it.

If you have a keyword that gets 100,000 pageviews per month it would be worth 3 cents per click. If it get's 10 pageviews it's probably worth zip.

One thing I would do is put a monthly counter on the specific keyword pages you want to promote.

If a merchant is checking you out and sees a
    counter that says 153,763 have viewed this page this month and he sees he can get a listing for only 3 cents per click he is likely to do it.

I wouldn't pay 3 cents for REWARDS affiliates but I would for Paid To Read Email traffic.. Because, it's the traffic that dictates the price merchants pay not whether they make a profit or not - just go look at BendOver and the cost of listings on keyword like jobs, computers, even coffee.

An PPC page is simply a glorified classified ad page. The more people who see the page, the more potential buyers for the advertisers. It's the advertisers copy that dictates the click thru and their ability to sell ttheir conversion rate.

You could make a profit from a single page if it had enough traffic even if you are paying 3 cents per click.

Advertisers go where people go. You only need to find 10 or so to make money per keyword and you get some from search feeds so you are close to being rich.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> it's the traffic that dictates the price merchants pay not whether they make a profit or not<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fred, your logic is a recipe for business suicide.

The only way PPC (or any other) advertising is sustainable is if your newly-purchased traffic converts to sales well enough to leave some money in your pocket after you've paid your bills. Profit DOES matter!

Elisabeth Archambault

Yep, profit matters - if you can't make a profit on 3 cents per click thru, you need to go get a day job.

1. Because that 3 cent visitor is only part of your total traffic, so your average cost per visitor is less than 3 cents.

2. The number of click thrus you get is a function of the the total keyword search traffic, your ad text and your position on the page.

The other question is who's profit. Obviously if every one involved makes a profit it's a win-win for everyone. But the main reason merchants don't convert better is their fault not the type of traffic they get from PPC.

Another feature of PPC is the "you pay for position", so your competition gets excluded from that position.

Heck on the word Valentines - Big Chuck has the top slot at 3 cents - The word had 667 'searches' in December and I would guess
    triple that so far this month.

So Chuck has a quasi-monopoly on getting a visitor from the search traffic. If he gets
    100 visitors it costs him $3. Worst case is now 100 people know he exists. Best case he makes a sale(s) and makes more than $3.

His upside is really quite good - his downside is reasonable. Now it wouldn't pay for him to pay $.50 for a listing based on the total say 2,000 searches. But it would pay if the word got a million searches and he got 100,000 and that 100,000 was say 5% of his total traffic.

It's not how much it costs you for traffic that counts, it how much you make from it.

If your total traffic costs 5 cents per visitor and you can make 6 cents per visitor, then you make $1 for every hundred visitors - now go get 100,000 visitors and pocket $1k per month profit.

Lower the average cost per visitor to 3 cents and you make $3,000. Raise the traffic to 1 million and make $30,000.

If the guy running the ppc doesn't make a profit and the affiliates don't make any money - you do not have a place for advertisers to advertise for very long.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread