Arrow Intel vs AMD
    Hi everyone!

I am planning to buy a new desktop as an upgrade for my 9-year old one. I stumbled into 2 processors which are very famous today, Intel and AMD.

Does anyone here have experience with these two? Can you give your experience and ideas on which is better between the two.

I am planning to use my PC for online games..

Thanks.

Either do the job fine. Intel i7-2500 or i7-2600 is the most popular mainstream processor for gaming currently.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    It used to be a concern as to whether AMD was compatible but they have been selling CPUs for over 20 years.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Well if you can wait 9 years I think you can wait 2 more months.

AMD is launching a new CPU September 19th and it is supposed to be quite good. It might be faster than Intel and even if it is not it will bring prices down. It is called AMD Bulldozer.

I would wait and start backing up files and getting ready to move over.

Smile
    Compatibility is indeed a big Q for AMD before but they really make good quality CPU's for many years now. Intel makes quality processors for many years and has been an icon in computer technology products too. I am using AMD for my laptop and it provides the best video output specially for gaming consoles.

I buy computers with AMD processors. I've had better results with AMD than I have with Intel. Not near as many computer problems with AMD.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I heard AMD is better choice for game players? Don't really know much about hardwares, but my computer is Intel CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by andbeyond View Post
    Well if you can wait 9 years I think you can wait 2 more months.

AMD is launching a new CPU September 19th and it is supposed to be quite good. It might be faster than Intel and even if it is not it will bring prices down. It is called AMD Bulldozer.

I would wait and start backing up files and getting ready to move over.
    Thanks Buzz Lightyear! It is almost 19th though and I am looking forward for the Bulldozer model of AMD. If you already bought it, feel free to give some reviews.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    I would have if it was out

I will probably wait a month or two in to make sure no problems. Newegg has some good reviews out very quickly. There will be reviews there one week after it is out I am sure.

For what its worth, 19th is not the release date for consumer desktop Bulldozer (Zambezi) CPUs. They are currently shipping server Bulldozer CPUs though. Directly from AMD, I was given the following statement that I'm allowed to repeat publicly about the bulldozer release date:

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    If you read that however, you may be left asking “What about desktop?”. So here’s the official word AMD is emphasizing currently:

Quote Originally Posted by AMD
    AMD is on track to ship Zambezi processors before the end of September and is tracking to an expected Q4 launch and availability for those parts.
    I also wrote about the bulldozer world record I watched them break a couple weeks ago, but to normal people that is only meaningful in an "oh neat" sort of way. Don't read much into it. All that can be officially said now about what to expect from Bulldozer I put in the article:

World Record Significance
    Still, unless you are intimately familiar with subzero overclocking like I am, or you just get excited by new records like I do, you may be asking what a CPU Frequency record matters to Joe Sixpack? Don’t let anyone – or any marketing – fool you. This record isn’t going to change the way you compute daily, it isn’t going to mean you hit 6GHz on air, and it isn’t confirmation of what other benchmark performance we should expect to see from Bulldozer. We’ll be bringing you the benchmark performance, air cooling OC results, as well as more subzero results soon, but you’ll have to stay tuned until we can bring you all of those tests in the not too distant future.
    There's no more accurate official information or testing regarding performance or release date that is available, this is the best AMD has permitted anyone to share so far.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread