Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Merchants, Don't Open an Affiliate Program If...
    All you're going to do is offer a couple of text links and a couple of banners.

I will not join merchants who offfer exteremely limited links and offerings. It shows me that the merchant doesn't care about their program and isn't setting aside the necessary resources to develop a succesful program.

I hope that other affliates will chime in and let merchants know what they desire/expect when joining a progam.

Hopefully we can assist future merchants so they don't open programs that are doomed from the beginning.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Push them to some of the OPMs listed on ABW, we are happy to contact them and tell them how lame affiliate see them. Just list them by name and network.

I prefer those easy and short affiliate ads, too many contents won't help.

I don't work with a merchant unless they have a datafeed.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

5. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy View Post
    I don't work with a merchant unless they have a datafeed.
    A good, useable, consistent datafeed (in my case). For merchants not understanding what that is, contact whoever does Football Fanatics feed, or Dale with TFAW.

And there are many merchants that dont!

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Football Fanatics
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilebadboy View Post
    A good, useable, consistent datafeed (in my case). For merchants not understanding what that is, contact whoever does Football Fanatics feed, or Dale with TFAW.
    Funny you should mention them (Football Fanatics)...
    I am seeing all their links in their CJ datafeed go to 404 error pages today.
    Anyone else?

8. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    On a side note, affiliates should contact the merchant if they don't see the banners, text links, datafeeds, or other tools they need to succeed.

There are tons of ways to promote a merchant and sometimes the network has limitations on the types or quantities of creative available.

A good merchant should readily customize a datafeed or create a unique banner/text link for any affiliate who requests it. Datafeeds are probably the most requested customized creative for obvious reasons and can make a huge impact on merchants and affiliates sales.

Bob

Believe it or not, I have a small client I do maintenance for and he has one text link. No banners. But he updates his datafeed often. No coupons, no trademark ppc. It's as clean a program as it gets.

It hums along with fairly consistent growth all due to datafeed traffic. It's an anomoly.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by Reversal Magnet View Post
    Funny you should mention them (Football Fanatics)...
    I am seeing all their links in their CJ datafeed go to 404 error pages today.
    Anyone else?
    Couldn't help there, I use them through SAS. (Those are working FWIW).

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Quote Originally Posted by akagorilla View Post
    Believe it or not, I have a small client I do maintenance for and he has one text link. No banners. But he updates his datafeed often. No coupons, no trademark ppc. It's as clean a program as it gets.

It hums along with fairly consistent growth all due to datafeed traffic. It's an anomoly.
    Does this client have many affiliates?

Quote Originally Posted by bibby View Post
    Does this client have many affiliates?
    Enough to make the channel very profitable for the merchant. It's not about the quantity of affiliates, it's about the quality of traffic.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks for chiming in Greg, I was hoping there would be someone else who does not run a ton of banners. I would guess less than 5% of our affiliates use a banner for their classifieds link. Most just put the JavaScript on their page and show content directly. Banners are just not needed or useful. I have not created a new one for the classifieds in 10 years and have not had a complaint or request for a banner in all that time.
    Brad Waller | VP, Business and Affiliate Development
    EPage.com

16. Thanks From:

BTW, I have another maintenance only client that hasn't updated banners in 6 years. They have 7 old banners, 18 text links and a full datafeed that is updated weekly.

I've asked continually for new banners, but the merchant is happy with the growth anyway. That's a million dollar a year program.
    Greg Hoffman

ABW Ambassador
    That's all well and good but it doesn't hurt to have a good selection of banners. I have a site that has a 250 x 250 spot and banners in that size are hard to find. And for that particular site, I get sales off those banners all the time. A merchant merely getting some of that size up and they can get in the mix as well. There are some old threads on the standard sizes every merchant should have. Also, sometimes checking out new merchants, they might have just a few text links and not much more and while they might turn out to be the best merchant I've ever had, it's not a good look. It looks like they didn't put much effort into getting the basics up. Kind of a perception kind of deal. One recently just had like 5 text links and in my head was thinking this merchant doesn't have anybody dedicated to this program.

... if you are going to cheat me out of my leads by putting the 1800 number all over the banner or have the 1-800 number in clear site but the form I need them to fill out for credit is lower down in the page.

I know most people will call the number before they fill out a form!

:kiss:

I think text links and banners are of little use, I can make my own on SAS's custom link really easily. I suppose it makes some merchants feel like they're accomplishing something by creating useless text links that no one uses.

A hardline merchant without a well thought out is hardly worth my looking at.
    Last edited by justnet; August 7th, 2011 at 01:37 PM. Reason: stupid
    [url="http://www.successpart2.com/"]...I like to help newbie merchants[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by justnet View Post
    I think text links and banners are of little use, I can make my own on SAS's custom link really easily. I suppose it makes some merchants feel like they're accomplishing something by creating useless text links that no one uses.

But some merchants have so few creatives and also don't offer the direct linking tool in SAS. Barcelo Hotels is one that doesn't alow you to use that custom link creator tool. I gave up on the program after I emailed the affiliate manager and asked her why they didn't allow it. She replied back that you could direct link.

I just checked and received this message:
    This Merchant Does Not Allow for the Creation of Custom Links

Thanks justnet

I appreciate your input as it confirms much of my research. As a newbie I was becoming confused by this thread. So thanks for the straight forward, "this is how it is" comment. It helped to restore my confidence in the very little that I know so far.

Oops, not well proof read try...
    A hardline merchant without a well thought out data feed is hardly worth my looking at.
    [url="http://www.successpart2.com/"]...I like to help newbie merchants[/url]

This topic is just something I can't for the life of me understand. If I were a merchant I would think best thing to do would offer any size banner an affiliate wanted.

Have asked very nicely for just a plain ole standard size banner that would be considered popular and been told no. The logic, just can't understand?? Have placed several merchants on a page with nicely worded descriptions about them. Don't think is asking too much to be able to get just a standard size banner to place on that page so that the page looks nice.

Have wanted the ability to place individual product links for certain products and not been able to get them?? As I said, just can't for the life of me figure out why these type of merchants bother having an affiliate program.??

I know.... you're gonna say to find a different merchant. Sometimes you might have products you want to promote where you just can't find other merchants who have them so you're stuck pretty much til you can find another one.

As was mentioned earlier in the thread some of these merchants don't provide a variety of sizes and do just fine. Ummm, but still doesn't answer the question. If the purpose of an affiliate program is to help a merchant get sales why on earth would they not want to do everything possible to help those affiliates??

This is off topic so you can read it lol but then forget ya did

This thread reminded me of my frustrations with some merchants. lol Merchant sends me an email and says exclusive coupons can be provided. Write him back, tell him I'd love to have one and ask very nicely for it. Evidently not big enough for him. He'll give them to some affiliates who I won't name but if you look in the unethical thread you'll find them. Grrrrrr lol If he wasn't gonna give exclusive coupons to those who take the time to read email he sent lol why did he send it lol Not whining about it cos I know how this stuff works at times but am saying I just don't understand it at all at times. lol

25. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by purplebear View Post

I know.... you're gonna say to find a different merchant. Sometimes you might have products you want to promote where you just can't find other merchants who have them so you're stuck pretty much til you can find another one.
    I agree with your comments and especially the one above. Problem is that when you're applying to some merchants they give you the impression that they can work with you to assist you in promoting their program on your website. I don't think it's too much to ask for them to create banners or links that you're looking for.

I've had some really good merchants who had limitations on the amounts of links they could include within a network. They sent me via email the links (Code) that I was looking for.

I myself have found many programs where all you get is text links. It is rather limited. You would think that people would be a lot less likely to click on plain text links than full banners.

As a merchant, I'll jump in and offer my $0.02:

A lot of times we have no idea what sort of creatives affiliates want. If they aren't seeing what they want, but they don't let us know, how do we know? A little communication can go a long way in getting some customized banners set-up.

It seems like most of our really active affiliates are most interested in the data feed and don't seem to pay much attention to the banner ad creatives or text links. Not to say our data feed is perfect, but it is pretty good.

What is more important to affiliates: good creatives or a good data feed? (or both equal?)

29. Thanks From:

Makais, good point about communication!

Quote Originally Posted by Makais View Post
    As a merchant, I'll jump in and offer my $0.02:

A lot of times we have no idea what sort of creatives affiliates want. If they aren't seeing what they want, but they don't let us know, how do we know? A little communication can go a long way in getting some customized banners set-up.

It seems like most of our really active affiliates are most interested in the data feed and don't seem to pay much attention to the banner ad creatives or text links. Not to say our data feed is perfect, but it is pretty good.

What is more important to affiliates: good creatives or a good data feed? (or both equal?)
    Both

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

32. Thanks From:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast