Question What are the tactics used to discover what kind of affiliate products will do well?
    I'm starting to post some affiliate ads on my website. As it happens, I am not even close to making a sale.

I'm not sure if the products I have chosen will appeal to the audience I have.
    I'm not sure if the volume of traffic is enough to support affiliate programs. I get about 8000-9000 visitors everyday. But since its growing constantly, thats not much of a worry.

But I'm surely struggling to figure out what kind of products to market? (its a techie site).

Is there a service/tool which can analyze the website and suggest what products will do well and what won't?

If its a "techie" site you should be marketing "techie" products, if your site is reviewing computers or the latest gadgets, those are the types of things you would want to be advertising.

Somebody that comes to your site is probably not going to bat an eye at ads for sporting gear or kitchen appliances or something completely unrelated to the focus of your website...

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Think like a techie.

Why would they come to your site? What are you offering them? Advice, reviews, or...

Are the ads targeted or simply filler/related ads?

Does your site have "call to action" methods encouraging visitors to purchase?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

i mostly use clickbank and over these i see the gravity percentage and decide whether to go for it or no
    other than clickbank, amazon is a great place to get to know what books are seeling and based on that you can promote a product
    i always choose product which are evergreen not seasonal

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Think like a techie.

Why would they come to your site? What are you offering them? Advice, reviews, or...

Are the ads targeted or simply filler/related ads?

Does your site have "call to action" methods encouraging visitors to purchase?
    People come to my site for information thats there on my site. So basically they are trying to debug an issue, search google and end up on my site.

The Ads are not targeted, how do I target ads? Is there a 'google adsense' for affiliates? What sort of software will help me publish targeted ads? Or do these ads need to be hand-picked?

What are "call to action" methods?

A call to action is asking your visitors to proceed down a route eventually ending with a sale or join your mailing list. So "click here" for example will possibly be be a link that will take them to a merchant site for whom you are an affiliate. It could take the simple form of an anchor text link or a banner extolling the benefits of the product. What works best?, this you must test.

What research have you done into relevant products do your visitors really want what you have on offer, they may be just browsing.

Are you building a list from all these visitors to which you could post regular good content emails and occasional offers?

With all these visitors you have a potential goldmine just imagine with just 0.5% conversion you should be making a healthy income.

Best of luck

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by freethinker View Post
    The Ads are not targeted, how do I target ads? Is there a 'google adsense' for affiliates? What sort of software will help me publish targeted ads? Or do these ads need to be hand-picked?
    Some networks have "adsense" type widgets you can put on your pages to try and match merchants you promote to the content of your page. Personally I think you would be better off hand-picking related merchants and/or products that pertain to each article or page...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by daiarian View Post
    A call to action is asking your visitors to proceed down a route eventually ending with a sale or join your mailing list. So "click here" for example will possibly be be a link that will take them to a merchant site for whom you are an affiliate. It could take the simple form of an anchor text link or a banner extolling the benefits of the product. What works best?, this you must test.
    I have found that the visitors of my website definitely prefer text links than banners. However the same doesn't hold for adsense ads though, I have seen that my earnings go down, when I switch to text only ads.

What are the good call to action phrases? I read a few articles but none are consistent. Some claiming "click here" is THE call to action phrase, while other claiming that they worked in the 90s, not anymore.

What research have you done into relevant products do your visitors really want what you have on offer, they may be just browsing.
    This is the part that has me stumped. I don't know how to go about doing such research? Should I be adding polls to my website? What are the techniques to figure out what exactly will work?

Like right now I have an ad to mcafee antivirus s/w, google adwords referral and a $70 off one year of dreamhost hosting, and a dropbox referral link.

I have the maximum visitors to the $70 off link but not a single conversion.
    Mcafee antivirus is Pay per Unique Click + Pay per Sale, I haven't made any sales, but I get some amount per click.

google adwords is a recent addition, and has had a few clicks, but no returns again.

Now all these are very different products, and all get clicks, but no sales. So what should I infer?

Are you building a list from all these visitors to which you could post regular good content emails and occasional offers?
    No I haven't started collecting email addresses yet. However If i do start collecting email addresses, how do I send out emails without getting 'marked as spam'?

Thank you all for your suggestions.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; August 6th, 2011 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Removed link - Not in English - How could we help if we can't read it.

I would say your best bet is AdSense. Google is so much better positioned to tell what this particular visitor wants. Google knows that yesterday this guy was looking for "PDF Converter Component" for example, and you do not know that. Also, Google AdSense has one of the largest pools of advertisers.

Also it may make sense to manually pick the offers for few of the most popular pages (however it sounds like you receive long tail traffic spread evenly more or less across most of the pages, so there may be no "most popular content pages" besides the home page). So for example if you have a page (among the TOP 10 by traffic) describing how to write a code to convert MS Office files into PDF, then you could manually put links / banners leading to affiliated PDF Converter product, in the hope of higher payout compared to GAS. Probably it would only worth it after particular content page has reached certain traffic level.

Are you running a forum or just scraped content?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Commission Junction gives you the EPC per link so you can determine which is converting the best, other networks may as well. AvantLink offers an AdSense link encoder that will monetize links on your page for up to 5 keywords.

Text links are generally 80% of a programs conversion as they are written into a pages copy. Look for review sites in Google and see how they write the copy. You should be able to see an affiliate linkout and realize that they are writing effect referral links.

However If i do start collecting email addresses, how do I send out emails without getting 'marked as spam'?
    Use a service like Constant Contact or Aweber to build a double opt-in list then start sending newsletters.

The audience on your site knows its interests best, and in my experience, adsense is usually terrible at getting it right for large technical focussed audiences. You may want to look at services like skimlinks, which convert external links into affiliate links (if you have external product links already in your content that are highly relevant).

For email, double opt-in is the basics, but you should also build your list for a clear purpose - when collecting the email address, describe what they'll be receiving and on what frequency. That will reduce your unsubscribes and will be less likely to get you reported as spam.

The call to action phrase you want to use depends on the result you want to achieve. If you only want to send legitimate vetted buyers through the link, the best bet may be a "Buy now" link. "click here" tells anyone to click on it regardless of their intentions - it does nothing to filter the quality of traffic through the link. This is the sort of stuff where you have to make an informed decision about what to start with, understand what your current strategy is, measure/observe results, and methodically attempt different strategies to see what works best for your particular audience.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

Quote Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

No I haven't started collecting email addresses yet. However If i do start collecting email addresses, how do I send out emails without getting 'marked as spam'?
    You will need an auto responder service Aweber is excellent @ $19 pm. The double opt in feature is your visitor confirming he (she) wants you to send regular emails or newsletters, so there is no spam worries, I am sure you will have signed up to newsletters yourself this way.

As I.M.O.G. has said you must tell your list prospective what your newsletter will contain, you are then building a captive targeted list and with your regular missives you can make offers for goods/services you know they will be interested in.

Try to add affiliate networks that are related to your website's niche is a good suggestion, and since your website is providing information, you might want to try CPC programs rather than CPS and CPA programs, because you know, most your audience come to your website to find information they need, not to buy something, so CPC networks will be much easier way for you.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread