Merchant Site competing affiliate links?
    This may be posted in the wrong forum, so please feel free to move...

I have a merchant that I am promoting their coupons on my site as an affiliate. I just checked the home page of their site, and they have a 125x125 banner ad for the same coupon I have on my site. When I mouseover the image, the link shows an affiliate id added to the end (default.aspx?Affiliate=276).

My question is two fold:

1.) If the consumer clicks on that banner, won't this new Affiliate ID set a cookie and overwrite mine?

2.) Is this normal for merchants to do this, or is there a best practice in regards to having ads up for the same things their affiliates are promoting?

Thanks,
    Barbara

ABW Ambassador
    1.) If the consumer clicks on that banner, won't this new Affiliate ID set a cookie and overwrite mine? Yes, from the info you provided.

2.) Is this normal for merchants to do this, or is there a best practice in regards to having ads up for the same things their affiliates are promoting? Generally not, they are considered leaks and you shouldn't do that.

I would be interested in the merchant to take a look to make sure of what's going on, if you're willing to provide it.

Hi Trust,

The merchant is starboxes.com. They used to be uboxes.com, but in my emails it stated they were becoming starboxes. Both sites, however, seem to still be active and the banner takes you to uboxes.com - and there are coupons for both sites in my feeds from SAS.

Very confusing, as it's only one program via SAS - so I'm not sure how this works. Both sites sell the same things, so it just doesn't seem logical to me for the merchant to put up a banner taking them off starboxes.com and over to uboxes.com. I must be missing something.

Thanks for the information on leaks. I thought that referred to ads taking the consumer offsite after I drive traffic there (which this is, kinda) but didn't realize you could also leak within the site.

Must go read some more again :-)

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, that is confusing. Just looking at it straight up, it looks like Starboxes in an affiliate of Uboxes but then you said - "They used to be uboxes.com, but in my emails it stated they were becoming starboxes." And I see the same wording at the bottom of their sites. I would try contacting the affiliate manager with this to see what they have to say. See if you can get a response. Or maybe Brian might have some info.

Thanks again, Trust. All the contact us info is the same also - so maybe it's just a weird transition thing. I'll definitely contact and see what they say...

For my clarification though, when I'm looking at potential merchant partners, what do I look for to make sure they don't have leaks on their sites? Is it primarily landing pages I check, or everywhere?

ABW Ambassador
    Basically it's links on their sites to other sites that you won't get compensated for. You send traffic to the merchant, that traffic might click one of those links going to another site, they might buy something, you get 0. Buy.com is perfect example, one the leakiest merchants out there - Buy.com - Computers, Electronics, Digital Cameras, Books, DVDs, Music, Games, Software, Toys, Sports

Ah, I see now.... wow, that's something else all right :-)

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Some merchants' cookies track across domains. CSN has been doing it for years.

HOWEVER, a leak is still a leak...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I'm pretty sure I know one of the owners of uboxes.. I sent him an email with a link to the thread

10. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Some site prefer to use affiliate links for tracking across sites because they are too lazy to figure out their analytics.

Response to Affiliate Links
    Hi,
    Thank you for your inquiry regarding Uboxes.com affiliate program. Below I will address each issue:

In reference to mentioned affiliate link: (default.aspx?Affiliate=276)

Please notice the affiliate ID Link you mention - This is not a ShareASale link. This is an internal tracking link and does not affect the shareasale tracking code. ShareASale may verify this for those of you that have concern with either Uboxes.com or Starboxes.com affiliate tracking mechanisms through ShareASale.

Uboxes.com has never issued any email regarding their intention of becoming Starboxes.com. Please forward a copy of the email to Uboxes.com Affiliate Manager to determine the origin of this email.

In regards to both sites looking the same please note Uboxes.com is moving boxes and services the moving industry. While Starboxes fulfills business mailing and shipping needs.

There is a copy of recently published newsletters in your shareasale account notifying of any updates and outlining any policy changes with the companies. You may contact ShareASale or Affiliate Manager for further assistance.
    Sincerely,

Affiliate Manager

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Thanks Chaki for stepping up.

Thanks Chaki. I'll definitely find the email and re-read it - I must have understood. I really appreciate the clarification and feedback.

Best,
    Barbara

Followup
    Glad I could assist. Please do not hesitate to contact us or shareasale in the future we are here to help.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread