Lazy Affiliate Managers
    I don't know where to put this thread, so I figured this local is as good as any since it is a universal problem and not network specific. And I doubt posting it will make a difference to all the lazy affiliate managers out there, because if they cared, they wouldn't be so lazy -- but WHY bother, I mean reallllllllllllly why bother putting up long lists of promotions that have the incorrect categories listed? Do you know what a major PIA this is for affiliates? Do you care? Stop being so lazy and do it right and you might find your merchants (who have put their trust in you) get faster exposure and make more money, which in turn makes you more money, makes your affiliates more money and everybody comes out happy.

Remember -- your merchants are NOT the only merchants most affiliates will work with and the more you mess up your information, the lower your merchants will fall on the priority list.

Try it! I bet it will work! Simple simple simple --- List the correct categories for your promos. List Start and End dates. Use direct links. Simple to understand text.

It's your job to do it right.
    Last edited by leeann; August 4th, 2011 at 09:37 AM.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

ABW Ambassador
    "List Start and End dates."

Jumping on that, something that annoys me to no end. Stuff like:

Dear GameStop Affiliates,

Be sure to promote our latest offer, going on now for a limited time at GameStop.com!

* 10% off + Free Shipping on New In-Stock Xbox 360 and PS3 game purchases $79.99 or more!

We have included the details of this promotion below, as well as your link to post to your site.

Happy Promoting!
    The GameStop Affiliate Program Team

And they have the code for the deal.

But no expiration dates.

It's amazing to me how many merchants send out emails with coupons and deals but don't have the expiration date. Even merchants where I've replied asking for it, some of the same ones, still not doing it.
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; August 18th, 2011 at 12:58 PM. Reason: linking to merchant

3. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Leann is you want to mention the merchants by name I can put this in the Unethical Merchant forum. Or can move it to Merchant Best Practices Forum.

ABW Ambassador
    Unethical? Got nothing to do with unethical. Merchant Best Practices Forum, more like it.

6. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by leeann View Post
    ...but WHY bother, I mean reallllllllllllly why bother putting up long lists of promotions that have the incorrect categories listed? Do you know what a major PIA this is for affiliates? Do you care? Stop being so lazy and do it right and you might find your merchants (who have put their trust in you) get faster exposure and make more money, which in turn makes you more money, makes your affiliates more money and everybody comes out happy.
    What drives me nuts is category specific promos & the link goes to the home page, not the category. Or broken links.

Please check that the links actually work & point to the specific promo before the newsletter gets sent out! I also see stop dates before the start dates. Or promos that go on for 2 years...& you know they don't.

PROOFREAD (2x..at least) to make sure all info is included & accurate.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

8. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Speaking of lazy, I've seen email newsletters from an affiliate manager with some promotion links expire back to 2010. First time I thought it was a typo, second time I knew it was just a lazy AM who use the same newsletter template without even double check the content on it.

10. Thanks From:

I don't really think they mean to be unethical, just lazy. I also don't like the promotions that pretend to have a coupon, but don't really. They'll advertise something for example -- on sale - $29.95 - coupon code: aaedjls -- and when you go and look it is already marked at $29.95 and the coupon has zero value. Now that (in my opinion) is unethical.
    Last edited by leeann; August 4th, 2011 at 06:30 PM.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

12. Thanks From:

Here is a good example:

PC Connection Express
    Save $120! Acer Gateway NV5905h: 2.13GHz, Core i3, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, 15.6" - Only $429 (Ships Free)
    Category - Appliances & Electronics

Uhm.. it's a computer.

Do they even sell appliances?

:-/
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; August 18th, 2011 at 12:57 PM. Reason: linked to merchant
    leeann

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    I've got one manager that I email every few months, practically guaranteeing sales if they would just give me a datafeed. They used to have one and I see they use all the major comparison engines. So a feed is available. I've offered to do all the work, just put the feed where I can grab it. They have yet to even respond to my last email, sent weeks ago.

Affiliate Manager
    Quite shocked about the laziness of some AMs!! Maybe they manage large programs that are very established and hence the AM has become complacent - forgetting who helped the program to become successful in the first place...

Not to tout myself, but I would never send out promos without start and end date; and I send personalized emails to my active affiliates and include customized links, so, the affiliate does not have to log into the accounts. And I always include my name and telephone number in any email or newsletter, so, affiliate can call me and get easily get a hold of me...
    [B]Bernard Haug[/B] Affiliate Marketing Manager [B]Autodesk, Inc[/B].
    [email]bernard.haug@autodesk.com[/email]
    Direct: 415 547-2145 | Mobile: 415 699-1185

16. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    In defense of affiliate managers a lot are thrown into the position with no real experience. I remember talking to the online marketing manager for the largest fitness equipment manufacture in the world. I ran their in-house programs and they had launched them (after we proved them successful) in CJ. The affiliates worked with both the parent company and me but complained that they got no support from the parent company. I asked the online manager how much time he devoted to the program and he said about 15%. That was because he was doing the paid search and SEO for the battery of company sites.

I think its a combination of inexperience, too many other responsibilities and over work. But I expect that a large number are either lazy or don't have their heart in it. As an affiliate you need to be diplomatic but hold them accountable.

A little link baiting here might call some attention to the particular programs!

As Manager of an Affiliate Program for a big brand, I appreciate reading this type of feedback. It seems much of this can be avoided by having the "right" person in the role, someone who truly cares about the product/brand their representing.

I'm meticulous by nature--and yes, I make mistakes like everyone--but I care about my work that goes out to people, things that have my name associated with it. Not to mention I have a brand to represent and protect.

Just my interjection from "the other side."

19. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by BernardH View Post
    Quite shocked about the laziness of some AMs!! Maybe they manage large programs that are very established and hence the AM has become complacent - forgetting who helped the program to become successful in the first place...

Not to tout myself, but I would never send out promos without start and end date; and I send personalized emails to my active affiliates and include customized links, so, the affiliate does not have to log into the accounts. And I always include my name and telephone number in any email or newsletter, so, affiliate can call me and get easily get a hold of me...
    I adhere to the same practice, Bernard. Anytime you can personalize it's a win-win for the relationship.

21. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager Government Auctions AM's Avatar
    Glad this thread was started. Good way to put myself in check! Hope I'm not disappointing anyone! :/
    Steven Shnayder
    [B][URL="http://www.governmentauctions.org"]GovernmentAuctions.org®[/URL][/B]
    Join us on [URL="https://signup.cj.com/member/brandedPublisherSignUp.do?air_refmerchantid=2932365"]CJ[/URL] [URL="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=10834"]SAS[/URL] [URL="http://www.governmentauctions.org/home/partners.asp"]ClickBank[/URL] [URL="http://twitter.com/GAORGAFFILIATES"]@GAorgAffiliates[/URL]

23. Thanks From:

I tried contacting the affiliate manager but so far no response / no action.

Been 2 weeks in waiting so lets see what happens when I post here!

Merchant: GOLFSMITH

Managed by gen3marketing.com.

The Problem:
    No start and stop dates on past offers causing issues for anyone trying to automate filtering out expired offers. Also there is no way of knowing if these are really expired if its not listed in the description somewhere.

Solution Needed:
    Whoever manages the account / inputs text links to CJ to review the following AD Ids.

Lets see what happens!
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; October 21st, 2011 at 10:52 AM. Reason: linkbaiting
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

Just came to check in whether am I committing any of these mistakes. Thankfully not yet. But its a great thread to know what problems affiliates are facing due to carelessness of AMs. I hope to see more from affiliate's perspectives so that I can take care of those problems.

Thanks so much for this thread. it's a great way to see expectations. Feedback in invaluable. Most affiliate managers are not lazy as much as just learning. Many are thrown into the job as a "by the way, you are doing this now" I know all my training has been hands on and lots of online learning that took some time to find. This forum is a great place to learn the small and large activities that can really make a difference! Thanks so much!

Thank you for this thread. It is always good to brush up on issues that may be irking affiliates.

28. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread