Wordpress Pros & Cons
    I've been against the idea of using wordpress for my site and instead wanted to learn all of the programming/coding to build it from scratch, but as i said in the past i just don't have much time to learn all of this and would like to get my site up and running asap and then worry about learning the "from scratch" way as i get time..

So based on the lack of time and encouragement from people like Chuck, i'm considering wordpress now but i really want to get feedback on all the pros & cons of using it over building the site yourself.

I get the main positive aspect is that its relatively easy to create a site with wordpress, any other pro's that you have to offer would be great, but i'm primarily concerned about the cons associated with using it, in particular:

- Wordpress pages are designed mostly using templates right? Does google consider multiple websites using the same template duplicate content or is it primarily concerned with the actual content on the websites and not so much the template design used for each of them?

- Is it difficult to get your site indexed when using wordpress whether because of the question above or for any other reasons?

- Is there any restrictions on using affiliate links on a wordpress site?

- I read somewhere on here recently that some of you were worried about google possibly pulling some sort of "wordpress armageddon" update on wordpress sites in the coming months/years?

Any feedback you could provide for the questions above, and for any other pros and cons would be greatly greatly appreciated..

ABW Ambassador
    - Wordpress pages are designed mostly using templates right? Does google consider multiple websites using the same template duplicate content or is it primarily concerned with the actual content on the websites and not so much the template design used for each of them? Not something you have to worry about, they're concerned with the actual content.

- Is it difficult to get your site indexed when using wordpress whether because of the question above or for any other reasons? No, if anything easier. Matt Cutts from Google even said WordPress is “made to do SEO well".

- Is there any restrictions on using affiliate links on a wordpress site? On wordpress.com, you can't. Getting your own hosting using wordpress.org, none at all.

- I read somewhere on here recently that some of you were worried about google possibly pulling some sort of "wordpress armageddon" update on wordpress sites in the coming months/years? Don't listen to crazy people.

3. Thanks From:

WP is extremely flexible, firstly there are loads of themes available both free and paid, you will find related threads on this forum. I find Flexibility great for my needs.

There are also loads of great plug ins.

After my first site I find setting up new WP sites very easy and I have no techie background at all and I have managed to get some ranked although others on which I have spent a great deal of time show nowhere.

The general consensus thus appears to be that WP is an option that must be considered.

I would not recommend writing a whole site from scratch, unless you've either got a shed load of spare time or a small team of coders. Getting all the boiler plate stuff right (user management, logins, commenting etc) is crucial, or you leave yourself wide open to hacks, spam, sql injection and worse. The speed of turn around of critical fixes coming from Wordpress and the ease updating are worth their weight in gold and shouldn't be dismissed lightly.

Just run with Wordpress, then learn its plugin API, to write the funky bits you need, that aren't there out of the box, or aren't already available as a plugin. That way you've got the basic nailed up front, and can concentrate on coding the fun and interesting bits. Also learning the Wordpress API is a good transferable skill to acquire in its own right.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfa View Post

Just run with Wordpress, then learn its plugin API, to write the funky bits you need, that aren't there out of the box, or aren't already available as a plugin. That way you've got the basic nailed up front, and can concentrate on coding the fun and interesting bits. Also learning the Wordpress API is a good transferable skill to acquire in its own right.
    What does the API plugin do, is any tech knowledge required?

The Wordpress lets you code pretty anything you like and integrate it into Wordpress. Under the bonnet, everything is stored as a post, which has various bits of metadata associated with it. You can slot most stuff into this, and then just display it as needed. You can do a reasonable amount of customisation by just tweaking the theme code.

Yeah you need some tech knowledge, you need to know a reasonable amount of PHP.

8. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by daiarian View Post
    What does the API plugin do, is any tech knowledge required?
    I don't know about that... Most changes to the design are easily accomplished editing the css files. Anything else there's usually a plugin

10. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread