New ABW Changes: July Roundup
    This thread summarizes some of the new changes this month, some may be obvious, some you may not have been aware of.

• Database read marking - more accurate display of posts/threads which you have not yet read
    • Parasiteware Forum - removed defunct/outdated subforums
    • Adult Forum - is now called the adult forum, moved to affiliate academy, still opt-in only to view threads
    • Infraction system - New members breaking rules get notified when they break a rule, in the past they didn't have PM rights so banning was the only communication they received
    • Virtual Family - viewable by lurkers now, so they can see the personal side of ABW also
    • Sub-Forum Mentor program - initiated, help subforum owners interact more effectively with members
    • ABW Twitter/Facebook - planning for getting more forum content in ABW social media presence
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

Arrow
    Quote Originally Posted by I.M.O.G. View Post
    This thread summarizes some of the new changes this month, some may be obvious, some you may not have been aware of.

• Virtual Family - viewable by lurkers now, so they can see the personal side of ABW also
    Virtual Family - viewable by lurkers now, so they can see the personal side of ABW also?

Well...

Since nobody else have made any comment on this thread so far... I am going to post what I think...

I don't think that making the Virtual Family forum viewable by lurkers and the SE's now, is a very good idea...

In the past few years, I may have made some personal posts in the Virtual Family forum intended for just the ABW Family Members only, and not for the general public at large, and while I may agree or disagree with making those post a free for all to read, I think that I have read somewhere before that the Virtual Family forum was not going to be indexed by the SE's, or viewable by any one not logged in to ABW...

I don't think that many other active, or former active ABW members, would like that idea, but... (Like the old saying goes...)

If they don't speak now, that would be their problem later...

Btw, that idea don't bother me that much at this time, but I wonder if the Inner Circle forum may be next sometime in the future too...

Because at this moment, the only reason to log in into ABW is to make a post, or just to read the Inner Circle forum, because so far... Anyone can read anything else posted on ABW without the need to join ABW, or log in to read...

I have to go along with Mr. Sal on this one. We posted there with a certain expectation, and it shouldn't be changed after the fact. Why not leave the forum like it is and just close it. Then you could open another with a name like Virtual Family2 or something. What family wants the world peeping through their windows? If the family is a reality TV show they know what they are getting into.

4. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    I have to third that - People post in private areas for the benefit of that private area. NEVER to made public for the benefit of a company running the forum.

Basic slap in the face when it comes to trust...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

6. Thanks From:

Appreciate the feedback.

I don't have an opinion either way, seeing the feedback we'll set it back to logged in only I expect. It was changed upon a member suggestion in this feedback forum, and I mentioned it here as many likely hadn't seen it mentioned previously.

Keep in mind virtual family used to be public tho, it wasn't always logged in only. Seeing what is there, and that anyone logged in can read it, and anyone can login... I didn't consider it a privacy issue myself. I see I was wrong however, and we'll fix it.

Appreciate the feedback.

I don't have an opinion either way, seeing the feedback we'll set it back to logged in only I expect. It was changed upon a member suggestion in this feedback forum, and I mentioned it here as many likely hadn't seen it mentioned previously.

Keep in mind virtual family used to be public tho, it wasn't always logged in only. Seeing what is there, and that anyone logged in can read it, and anyone can login... I didn't consider it a privacy issue myself. I see I was wrong however, and we'll fix it.
    Matt,

Doesn't matter if a forum was public - once it goes private is should never go back, unless everyone who participated agrees.

Sometimes folks want to be silly, rant, or whatever - it may or may not be about affiliate marketing. This IS a forum about affiliate marketing. One would think affiliate marketing topics is what the ABW would want indexed. Once a page is indexed by the SE's it is there FOREVER.

As I said, it's a basic trust issue. We trust ABW to leave the comments that were made in private in private. We know that anyone logging in can read them and we know that the SEs won't index them...

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, I can't have people know I wish people Happy Birthday.

It was one of those things that was fiddled with that didn't need fiddled with since I can't remember even 1 person in 8+ years having a problem with it and if you wanted to post "privately" you had the Inner Circle and some other new private forums nobody uses.

But since it was changed, it's one of those things hard to undo.

I totally get where you are coming from convergence. Not going to disagree that your stance is valid.

Yup Trust. Hard to undo, but more importantly probably, it isn't central to ABW's focus so if members want it private that isn't something to battle over.

It was changed back to public because it was requested, and the person who originally created the section intended for it to be public. Many forums have a public section of this nature and while it is important to be strong in your focus, encouraging some softer touchy feely things for visitors and members can have value also (new members, retention, building strong relationships, more personal, loyalty). From an SEO perspective, it is better to have it private, but people are more important than bots. Ideally, it might have been good if instead of setting the section private a year or two ago, it was set to no index... that would serve the social goals, as well as keep the SE out of the mix.

... encouraging some softer touchy feely things for visitors...
    I never bought into "The softer side of Sears", either...

Been phone only access until just now. Hopped on my laptop, so the settings on Virtual Family are back to logged in members only viewing threads (I had already gotten the ok from Chuck to switch it). Unregistered/non-logged in members can see that the forum exists but its marked private for them - they can't see anything inside the forum.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

13. Thanks From:

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread