Making a Coupons site : questions...
    Hello, i'm running a few web sites that drive some good traffic atm, mostly CPM advertising revenues.

I'm sort of new to affiliation (i have affiliate accounts on several sites, like CJ, affilinet, zanox, etc but I did not dig into affiliation yet, and I barely make a few sales here and there with my affiliate accounts)

I would like to set up a coupons site, to try to develop affiliation revenues for good.

I already bought 1 good domain name for a coupon site (6+ months), and now I have the time to dig it in, and to develop this coupon site.

My question :

I have nearly no experience with affiliation and even less experience with fetching RSS from affiliation plateforms.

So, I'd like to know if someone can give me a little clue on the best way to set up a coupon site.
    I am a PHP developper, so I can digg into PHP coding if necessary.

But are there some affiliation plateforms that provides coupons RSS or XML ?

I think the idea would be to fetch those RSS from affi. plateform, and to display them on my coupon site.

I searched a bit on affili.net and zanox, but I did not managed to find coupons RSS or XML.

So, do you know an affiliation plateform that provides coupons via RSS ?
    or if not, what would be the best way to set this all up ?

(I rather develop the whole thing myslef than buy a coupon script, because I want to be able to developp the site totally the way I want - or eventually maybe I could use an open source coupon plugin / software that I would be able to put my hands into so that I can develop it the way I like).

It's OK with a CMS like worpdress maybe ?

thanks for all your insights.

PS: RetailMeNot.com would be a good example of what Im trying to do
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; August 9th, 2011 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Removed link

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I recommend looking at GoldenCAN, Popshops and AvantLink for their coupon tools. Build your site then automate it. Daily Deals are huge and you can dedicate pages to those tools showing daily deals.

Thanks a lot for these insights. I'm gonna have a look of the websites you mentionned.

Sincerly.

A.

ABW Ambassador
    Coupon sites are a lot of work. Speaking as a person who runs a coupon site, I would recommend that unless you have a few people working on the site it will take up as much time as you can throw at it - no matter how automated it is. From my experience, many merchants have trouble releasing coupons with proper data (beginning and expiry dates, coupon codes and so on) so automation is only part of the battle.
    When the only tool you have is a hammer - everything looks like a nail.

Quote Originally Posted by pdw View Post

PS: RetailMeNot.com would be a good example of what Im trying to do
    Are you sure that's the model you want to follow? Read this thread.

ABW Ambassador
    I wouldn't start a coupon site nowadays, even for people who have been doing this for awhile, especially somebody new.

There's just so many out there, some run by big companies, some run by search engines etc. You won't be offering anything new and you'll probably need a little spending money to get the traffic going.

Perhaps look for niche terms +coupon and make sites dedicated to that. For the most part consumers who are coupon savvy search for trademark +coupon and click on the paid ads.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianDave View Post
    Coupon sites are a lot of work. Speaking as a person who runs a coupon site, I would recommend that unless you have a few people working on the site it will take up as much time as you can throw at it - no matter how automated it is. From my experience, many merchants have trouble releasing coupons with proper data (beginning and expiry dates, coupon codes and so on) so automation is only part of the battle.
    Thanks for this great insight from your experience. That's exaclty what I thought it was. I doubted a lot I could manage to have a very good coupon service fully automated, and the WORST part for me is that my coupon site is NOT in english (but french), so I bet there are more automated ways to fetch coupons in English (english merchants) than in French. That is why I waited soo loong to start dig in it.. I was hoping that the market (especially non English-talking merchants) would grow to the point they would release bettre their promotions and coupons in RSS/XML or whatever.

So thanks again for your insight.

Thank you as well for all other answers, very interesting indeed.

Im aiming at the french market, and we do not have that much coupons websites in French, so I want to try to give a good service there.
    Now the issue is to find french speaking merchants where I can fetch those coupons results..

(btw Im new on the forum and I start to like it already!)

ABW Ambassador
    "Im aiming at the french market, and we do not have that much coupons websites in French, so I want to try to give a good service there."

Ah, French, so with that you might have a shot. I know Amazon.com has coupons all day long (at least for the U.S.) and they an affiliate program just for France.

Don't forget French Canadians that's an under served market too.

ABW Ambassador
    En Francais? Are you talking French Canadian or France?
    When the only tool you have is a hammer - everything looks like a nail.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianDave View Post
    En Francais? Are you talking French Canadian or France?
    A good question, since their are very few French Canadian Merchants who have an affiliate program in the frist place.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Ok sorry, I did not explained well, essentially, it's for French merchants, as my website is .fr TLD

So yes it's french language for visitors coming from France, since it's a .fr TLD I dont think I will have any chance of appearing well in search results from Canada or other french speaking countries.

Hi pdw

I run coupons as part of my sites, and use a service called iCodes. They currently have a US and UK database, although I've never really looked much at the UK side. They might have french merchants.

The provide feeds for coupons, and I pull them into my site through the API - which definitely helps automate. They have a free model where you share the affiliate commisions with them, or a paid model where it is all yours.

The US version pulls from GJ, SAS, LS, Amazon, etc. - but as I'm not registered on the UK one I don't know what merchants.

It might be worth looking at them to see if it fits your business needs...

@housebg Thanks very much for your advices and council. I will definilty look iCodes out.. Thanks for the information.

I just listened for the last 30mins to the podcast @akagorilla has posted in this thread about coupon sites, and I learned a lot.

This forum is very good and I thank you all of you for the nice answers you gave me, I learn a lot.

Don't give up out secret. Kidding! It take a little bit of research and reading to find the answers on ABW. Also asking specific questions goes a long way as you have realized.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread