OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    7 Google AdWords Quality Score Facts You Need to Know Before Setting Up a Campaign
    Here’re 7 Quality Score facts to help you understand how it works:

1. The most important factor in calculating Quality Score is a keyword’s Click Through Rate (CTR). This is closely followed in 2nd place by keyword relevancy – if the Keyword you are bidding on matches your ad text and the searcher’s query.

2. Every keyword is awarded an individual Quality Score – this can be viewed by selecting the QS option in the ‘columns’ menu in the UI of Google AdWords. Quality Score also has an effect (to a lesser degree) on the overall AdWords account – it is not however possible to check this.

3. Quality Score does not have an impact at ad group level.

4. Quality Score on Google.com is completely independent from your Display Network Quality Score. This means that your low CTR Display campaigns will not reduce the performance of your Google.com campaigns.

5. The Quality Score number that you see in the Google AdWords UI is not an average of Google.com and Google Search Partner Quality Score. Like the Display Network it is separate. If you have a high CTR & Quality Score for one particular Search Partner, the other poor performing Partners will not bring down the overall Search Partner Quality Score – each Search Partner is independent.

6. Bidding more to get a higher click-through-rate when you start a campaign will NOT help you get a higher Quality Score from day one. You are given the across the board average Quality Score when your campaign begins. CTRs are then normalised for each page position – this creates a level playing field for everyone and reduces the opportunities for advertisers with bigger budgets to cheat the system.

7. Adding keywords to each match type – Broad, “Phrase” & [Exact] match – will not create a higher Quality Score for the Keywords due to the higher CTR of some of the match types. All you are doing is creating more work for yourself.
    Seems common sense and there is a reason why you don't jump into paid search without a lot of trial and error.

Taken from this article: 7 Google AdWords Quality Score Facts You Need to Know Before Setting Up a Campaign | Business 2 Community

2. Thanks From:

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    From my experience #6 sounds like a good idea but is not exactly true. While bidding high will not increase QS, bidding low and having a low ad position and CTR will create QS problems eventually. It might be the first day even. I would try to get a decent CTR of at least 1% in search.

And as for 7 that is true and I would add that most (95%) of people should not use broad match at all. Try covering your bases with phrase and exact.

4. Thanks From:

how long does it take to build account history for new adwords account?
    I've had an adwords account for probably 8 or more years now. Whenever I start up a new adgroup or campaign, my sites usually enjoy high QS's for keywords right off the bat.

Now that we are also a PPC mamangement service and use the MCC to manage other new adwords accounts, I've noticed that the point of entry for a brand new AdWords account is not favorable.

My question is, how long do I have to suffer through low QS keywords and ads before Google considers my client's site as relevant and of high quality? Right now clicks are pricey and QS's are horrible across the board (except for a handful of terms that managed to get a 7 out of 10).

From what I understand, you have to receive a certain amount of impressions/clicks to gather up some kind of account history before that evaluation occurs. But my problem is I'm dealing with a website marketing to a local market (Chicagoland area), so click volumes are very low right now (2 or 3 clicks a day across multiple adgroups).

Any suggestions or guidance?

Thanks,

-Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rjd View Post
    I've had an adwords account for probably 8 or more years now. Whenever I start up a new adgroup or campaign, my sites usually enjoy high QS's for keywords right off the bat.

Now that we are also a PPC mamangement service and use the MCC to manage other new adwords accounts, I've noticed that the point of entry for a brand new AdWords account is not favorable.

My question is, how long do I have to suffer through low QS keywords and ads before Google considers my client's site as relevant and of high quality? Right now clicks are pricey and QS's are horrible across the board (except for a handful of terms that managed to get a 7 out of 10).

From what I understand, you have to receive a certain amount of impressions/clicks to gather up some kind of account history before that evaluation occurs. But my problem is I'm dealing with a website marketing to a local market (Chicagoland area), so click volumes are very low right now (2 or 3 clicks a day across multiple adgroups).

Any suggestions or guidance?

Thanks,

-Rob
    Hi,

You are not suffering by a low QS because you are doing something wrong. The first time that you create a campaign, account, keyword etc etc google gives you the average quality score for that particular niche which depends on the QS that other advertisers have. This is happening because you have to start from somewhere...

Also, the most important factor, for me, after many years of PPC Management is the CTR and then the "user experience". Google doesn't want low converting advertisers because is loosing money.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread