Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Any merchants hosting their own shopping carts? I'm looking for some feedback on specific shopping cart scripts. What are you using and what do you like and/or dislike about it?

I have a hosted cart currently. I've been needing to go ahead and purchase one to host myself, but there always seems to be more pressing matters. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Evidently, the one I'm using now did an upgrade over the weekend, which they didn't notify us about (unusual for them). Well, the changed the sequence that information is collected and shown during checkout. Shipping used to show first thing. Now it doesn't show until after they provide all their personal info. Personally, I will leave a site that does this. Since I'm tied into UPS and USPS databases and give choices at actual shipping costs, I can't provide shipping costs on my product pages. Since this change went in effect, my sales have dropped on almost nonexistent.

After talking with the company yesterday, this may be a permenant change. :mad: Someone is supposed to be contacting me about my concerns, but I haven't heard anything yet. So this my light a fire under me and I may have to be purchasing a cart and getting it installed ASAP. Can't afford to be losing these sales. Even if the revert to the old ordering process, I'll want to change over soon.

Thanks in advance for any feedback anyone might have.

Just changed our cart and had a heck of a time with it. I will tell you the place we started was finding out which carts worked with our merchant program. Since we had an established merchant account with authorizenet we wanted to make sure that what we chose was compatible. This info was available on their website, as for other providers I am not sure.
    Our webmaster likes what we ended up with because it is open to modification and they have an open forum for script issues. We migrated to clickcartpro we like it because it was very inexpensive compared to some of the solutions.

I hope this helps.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Thanks Craig,

I'll check them out. The compatabililty issue is one reason I've been putting this off. It's such a pain to get everything everybody compatible. Ran into that issue with a hosted cart. My gateway offers a cart but it's hosted too and tied to a bunch of site builder stuff I don't need and expensive. But I may be able to find a list of carts on their gateway tech support site. I'll check there too.

Thanks for the input.

I am glad I could help [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Being new here it is nice to feel I have something to offer.

I can thoroughly recommend the FREE shopping cart by OsCommerce

It has more features than you could ever need and I had mine up and running in under 3 hours. Most of that time was taken with FTPing the files to the server! I was "working on other projects" at the time. Well, browsing ABW and drinking coffee...but that's "research", right?

They have ready made interfaces to the usual credit card merchants and shipping options.

The only fly in the ointment is that their affiliate module is still being developed. But I'm sure that will be available soon...

Their site states:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>OsCommerce is an open source e-commerce solution under on going development by the open source community. Its feature packed out-of-the-box installation allows store owners to setup, run, and maintain their online stores with minimum effort and with no costs involved.

OsCommerce combines open source solutions to provide a free and open development platform, which includes the powerful PHP web scripting language, the stable Apache web server, and the fast MySQL database server.

With no restrictions or special requirements, OsCommerce is able to run on any PHP3 or PHP4 enabled web server, on any environment that PHP and MySQL supports, which includes Linux, Solaris, BSD, and Microsoft Windows environments.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In fact, for anyone thinking of dropshipping, team OsCommerce with 2checkout.com credit card processing and you have your own complete web store for less than $50!

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread