Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Study Says Social Media Sucks at Driving Traffic
    I just received this headline in my WeProNews newsletter. It was an interseting read and if this is true, it doesn't surprise me.
    I'm including the link here for interest sake and it's not meant to be SPAM.
    The Article: Study Says Social Media Sucks at Driving Traffic.

While social media sites have increased in traffic and we've discussed that here in other threads, how many affiliate marketers are turning to these media sources in the hopes of driving traffic to their sites?

If the study is true, their efforts might be futile.

Quote Originally Posted by bibby View Post
    I just received this headline in my WeProNews newsletter. It was an interseting read and if this is true, it doesn't surprise me.

While social media sites have increased in traffic and we've discussed that here in other threads, how many affiliate marketers are turning to these media sources in the hopes of driving traffic to their sites?

Surveys suck, we are forever receiving a string of contradicting results skewed to suit a particular interest.

Rely on your own stats.

3. Thanks From:

Just popped in briefly so don't have time to read article now cos poppin back out again in a minute.

Others who use it more can give better answers but think it all depends on how you use it. In cases where you may be trying to target a very specific audience and not doing things in a spammy kinda way think it can help. You may be able to build a small trusted following that could help you. If you're going to a social network tho just to try to make friends with people in hopes they'll visit your site......don't think they're gonna fall for that. People don't want to feel like they're being used, plus a lot of people just ummm go to the social sites to umm socialize not shop.

Where I do think it works is for the large brands. They may advertise on their sites or even with a coupon in the Sunday paper to "like" them or enter a contest. Think that will get people to their sites and then possibly by something or try a product by giving them a sample. As an example in my case maybe a hair conditioner product or something new is on the market, if I "like" them and they offer me a free sample to try it (as long as it's a brand I trust) I'll go for it. If I like it then I'll buy it probably. In some cases big brands may get involved in environmental causes, social causes, etc. and that can make people have a more favorable opinion of them, too. Doesn't necessarily mean they'll purchase their product, tho. lol

Anyway, in my case, the big brands have gotten me to "like" them and will jump at the opportunity for free samples, so if their product is a good one, their efforts have been good at least in regards to me.

"Surveys suck"

All depends. Definitely don't wanna sound like I'm some sorta expert on the subject cos definitely am not. Did work for a market research company for 6 years tho and did learn a lil about it. Surveys all depend on the wording and who their targeted audiences are. They help enormously those companies who use them if they have specific targeted audiences they interview and the questions are asked properly and then answers are followed up properly to get specific answers. A lot of surveys tho aren't done that way and yeap...they probably end up sucking.
    Last edited by purplebear; August 14th, 2011 at 03:07 PM. Reason: gonna comment quickly after reading post I hadn't seen cos I was babblin away on my own.

5. Thanks From:

You both make good points.

ABW Ambassador
    I think it's with most things. Some people know how to work it, some don't. I think search engines will always be #1 overall since that's their function. We've had some old threads here and articles elsewhere thinking these things will replace or compete with search engines, which I always thought was ridiculous. I never thought of them as competition but more of a complement or another option.

But with social media, again, there are people who know how to work it and I'm sure it drives great traffic for them. Never been a fan of blanket statements like that (Social Media Sucks at Driving Traffic)

8. Thanks From:

"I never thought of them as competition but more of a complement or another option. "

Yeap, agree. Not gonna name any names but have heard some say they do very well using it and have no reason at all to doubt those individuals. Others I've seen using it and if I as an example was somebody who they were trying to target, would have just been turned off by them.

Thumbs up Spend 80% effort on 80% benefit.
    I don’t believe there is a universal answer. Social media is great for some, but can be an inefficient distraction for others. I have wasted months following advice; some well-meant, other just rehashing myths spawned by so called “gurus.” There are so many ways to market our sites, but we can’t use all of them, unless we have a huge outsourced team somewhere working 24/7. There is a good rule of thumb: Spend 80% of your effort in those methods that will bring 80% of the benefit.

Example: A lot of people get a lot out of Facebook, but I can’t cope with it and I cut it out completely so I can get on with my life. But for those who enjoy the benefits of Facebook marketing, good luck to them.

11. Thanks From:

Socially inactive people will definitely not get any traffic from these sources specially if one has no influence and reputation so they will struggle with this option as their source of traffic. But there is still another way of promoting and diving into different pools so there is no universal answer to this. What I know is sometimes "People buy business/services from whom they personally trust". IMO.

My case study shows: Publishers stink at writing ads and making landers. Facebook is a goldmine, but you have to know how to run ads there...

Quote Originally Posted by CPA Saw Adam View Post
    My case study shows: Publishers stink at writing ads and making landers. Facebook is a goldmine, but you have to know how to run ads there...
    Can you recommend a good source of advice for FB advertising. I am struggling at the moment to get a compelling headline in only 25 characters and body text in only 135 characters.

Its all about the real time engagement of the people.Facebook provides some excellent results its because of the user participation and trust.

If other media sites fails its due to the presence of spam in it.

Social media sucks ...
    ...at driving traffic?
    I'm completely new here and basically new to affiliate - or for that matter any - internet marketing.
    I won't mention the membership site as I don't want to fall foul of the rules of this forum and don't yet full understand them but there is a certain gentleman, doing very well for himself (and many others he is helping) in L.A., who swears by social media as the method that gets him more targeted traffic than any other, if it's done in the right way. This isn't just a smattering of passers by, it's a stream of traffic every day, expanding his list and giving him signups galore.
    I suppose it depends on the method used and the time spent setting things up?
    I really don't know and am wondering what other people think about this.

Simon

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    So what is he doing that is driving so much traffic. Is it traffic to his social properties or to his website from social? I take it this is a close friend you know?

Quote Originally Posted by simonjw View Post
    ...at driving traffic?
    I'm completely new here and basically new to affiliate - or for that matter any - internet marketing.
    I won't mention the membership site as I don't want to fall foul of the rules of this forum and don't yet full understand them but there is a certain gentleman, doing very well for himself (and many others he is helping) in L.A., who swears by social media as the method that gets him more targeted traffic than any other, if it's done in the right way. This isn't just a smattering of passers by, it's a stream of traffic every day, expanding his list and giving him signups galore.
    I suppose it depends on the method used and the time spent setting things up?
    I really don't know and am wondering what other people think about this.

Simon
    Came across another forum thread last week from another forum site with the same kind of strategy however he utilizes a simple to maneuver tool to get targeted traffic and leads through keywords. So what method is he actually using here?

I totally agree, for some using social media to drive traffic to their websites works very good, for others - not that much... you need to select your targeted area for business or traffic; find out most popular keywords; create some social profiles; do blogging on daily basis and ping your blog posts.You need to do it 4-6 months to make your website good ranking on search engine. I've done that all as a publisher, it helped me, but using xml feeds works much better to drive traffic to the website. Used bunch of different companies in the past, but currently working mostly with miva, 7search and plexious... most of my revenue I'm getting from them...

Yup, social media works if you keep it specific to what you are trying to promote. If you go to certain groups and forums, and promote a product which is relevant, then it will most likely sell.

However, tell people you got a deal on a specific for them instead of telling them that you have an online pawn shop or whatever.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and comments on this subject. I have been trying to get more involved in social media and the tips that everyone has been saying has held true. It's been interesting to me that the different approaches to social media has had different responses. You can't just expect your friends to "like" your company page just because you do. And it's especially hard to get people to become a member of your page if you have untrustworthy content on it...even if you think that's the content that your user's will want to hear. Social Media can be a huge tool for promoting businesses, but it can hurt your business quicker than anything else. So, be careful how you use it.

threads:Study Says Social Media Sucks at Driving Traffic
    According to me, issued by Outbrain, and their “experts,” Twitter and Facebook are ineffective means of driving traffic. The study claims that content vs. social media is a much more effective means of driving traffic..

Thumbs up Social Media Effectiveness
    My social media program started off slowly. I also spread myself out too thin. We were on Fb, Twitter, LinkedIn, Tumblr, 3-4 other smaller ones and a Blog to boot! I found we weren't delivering value to our followers. Our sites were driving traffic to our social sites, but we were seeing a vicious pattern of likes and unlikes during those first few months.

We lacked 2 things that we've learned are the most effective elements of our social media campaign:

Firstly, we weren't dedicating quality time and focus to each platform. How can you provide quality content if you don't give it the required time and attention it needs? We were lucky that our retail division was performing and we could hire a dedicated person just for our social media program. I know for many this isn't financially feasible (in the beginning I was doing everything myself, too). If this is the case, what you can do (we also did this, despite hiring a social media manager) is simply drop all under-performing platforms. Facebook and Twitter are a must in most cases, but how many more do you really need?

After trimming the fat...

We realized we had a weak marketing strategy. Every platform is different and not just in its technology. We asked ourselves: What if we had a devoted evangelist/customer who tried following us on all platforms? How can we deliver a different yet high quality offering in every community? We took each platform individually and analyzed it. We took what we knew about what our customers wanted and needed from our overall operation and we strategically channeled it to its appropriate communities. This way, the message is clear to your followers, and they will know what to expect from you.

The results have outperformed our expectations. I believe the risk of hiring a dedicated social media manager has paid off, although I'll be the first to admit MEASURING the ROI in social media is complicated to say the least! That would be another great thread I'd love to see here.

Sorry for the rambling. Hope this helps someone out there.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by bibby View Post

Thanks for the article. I read it alot. its very informative to me.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Makes common sense that as a merchant you don't send customers already in your store to some remote outside location just to hit some stupid I Like you button. Crazy as many post bad experiences poinening your brand and almost all have to be bribed with huge profit killing incentives to hit any return link to your real storefront.

I play with Google Analytics stats and outside social network traffic tracking stats and can say on 4 ecommerce sites the Facebook Twitter or even linked-in traffic was dismal and not worth any incent bribe for a click. Out of 31,000 Christmas sales only 3 came from Facebook or Twitter bribes. Write better content and post better product images and bask in the resulting Natural SERPs to generate real sales.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

26. Thanks From:

if you're sending someone away from your site, you're doing it wrong. like buttons (as well as Facebook comments) are embedded in the page. Your visitor goes nowhere. And as a result, it mentions on their wall to their friends that they made a comment or liked a resource.

It absolutely doesn't hurt. But it doesn't help as much as we would all like either. And 1 click as a result of a like is 1 more than without it. The real problem is that people get caught up in having hundreds+ of friends, following thousands on twitter, etc, so it's very easy to get lost in all of that.

Even though the like/tweet is quasi-permanent, most people will only see it as it comes through their stream. And if they're not at the computer at the time or they just simply follow too many people, they miss it.

28. Thanks From:

When used properly, social media sites can bring your site plenty of traffic. Note "when used properly". You need to get plenty of likes on your Facebook fan page, that way when you post a new article, a lot of people can see it. Same goes for Twitter and other social media sites there.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

When used properly, social media sites can bring your site plenty of traffic. Note "when used properly". You need to get plenty of likes on your Facebook fan page, that way when you post a new article, a lot of people can see it. Same goes for Twitter and other social media sites there.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

confusion
    I seem to have a bit of a disconnect with the whole social media scene. When we are discussing using facebook, twitter etc are we talking about paid advertising through them or is the benchmark for this marketing to "friends"?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast