Inactive Products in Data Feeds - can someone explain?
    I don't understand why so many products go "inactive" day after day and yet I find that exact item still available in the feed with the SAME price and SAME description and SAME image.

Lately this is happening with mostly GAN merchants. I am becoming a slave to the data feeds that change every day, removing products and replacing with the same items.

I wish someone at GAN could explain this to me. It makes for an incredible amount of busywork for affiliates who just want to offer real products in their shops. What trips this change from active to inactive?

Thanks to anyone who can enlighten me on this issue.

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    GAN changed to the Google shopping feed (formerly Froogle) after the transition from Performics. It is dependent on the merchant as to how often they push a new feed. Some do it daily but many with limited products push less than monthly. One thing I learned when GAN we pushing product through AdWords product listings with images in AdWords was that you needed to push a fresh feed at least monthly and preferably twice a month.

You should reach out to the merchants directly and ask them how often they update their feeds. I can tell you they get snippy in Q4 when affiliates show out of stock products and off-pricing. The road goes both ways so now is when they need to get this tuned up!

Google Affiliate Network Rep Google Affiliate Network Moderator's Avatar
    Hello,

Can you send me or contact support with a few examples?
    Contacting Support - Affiliate Network Help

Thank you,

Jamie

Thanks, Jamie. I just sent you a private message with 4 product examples that are showing inactive today, but identical items are still okay in the feed.

Chuck, thanks for your input. The last thing I want is outdated feeds. These appear to update every day (I use the data feeds from Popshops) - I know because I work on these every day and try to keep my inactive products at zero.

BUT on the other hand, I don't want extra work that's unnecessary either. Products that pop up as inactive but really aren't make me want to just avoid those merchants entirely.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I have a merchant who has products go out of stock but leaves the product page active with zero price and zero quantity. Not the greatest system but what we have to work with.

Affiliates really need to work closely with merchants to let the merchant know how much trouble it creates. Sometimes a gentle nudge from affiliate will get them to keep things up-to-date.

7. Thanks From:

Google Affiliate Network Rep Google Affiliate Network Moderator's Avatar
    Thank you for your message. I will review it and let you know if I have any follow-up questions. Can you do me a favor and also PM me your publisher ID?

Thank you,

Jamie

9. Thanks From:

Not sure if it's a GAN merchant, but superCool has seen an affiliate link go to a merchant page that is out of stock - but the merchant is kind enough to show the same item from other sites. So the affiliate doesn't get a sale but the merchant might get a referral from the other site. Everybody wins! No wait, someone is not winning here....

at least that's the way superCool remembers it (before dropping the merchant)

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread